ArcanumAlive Project [UP 28.11.2008]

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by Crypton, Nov 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want new Arcanum client ? Read description in below...

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is not needed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOW I'M SEARCHING FOR PEOPLE WHO KNOWS ASSEMBLER AND CAN HELP TO DECODE ARCANUM FORMATS !!! PLEASE HELP AND YOU WILL BE CREDITED :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENT WORK:

So I have decided to create new arcanum in Direct3D instead of DirectDraw,this step will have many advantages in future...
    Now translation from DirectDraw to Direct3D is complete (there was not so many code to modify),as I promised before I'll show you screenshot from "game".

Screenshot:

Loaded terrain data,no scenery and objects yet....
    [​IMG]

19.11.2009:
    I've successfully decoded terrain section from .SEC map format. Now I can draw a terrain surface from tiles !!!
    I'll post a screenshot later....

Need to decode maps = .TDF + .SEC files
    If you have any information about this files,please write that to this topic or send me PM...

I've made a partial decoder for .sec files,now I can find out which art files are used in maps for surfaces like

Hey guys.

You know that I was trying to get source code of Arcanum before without success,so I've decided to create a new shiny client for Arcanum.

I'm experienced and skilled programmer in Object Pascal,however I want to make new arcanum in C++ language instead.

Why I do that ? Simple answer,I want to extend arcanum of few things... and when original arcanum will be done,then expansion pack can be released too. Also in this project,we allow modder to modify anything they want in game,including game core via plugins.
    Also fixing game via disassebled version of Arcanum is endless,wont be working and originally compiled version and wont bring new things in game.

-Every single resource from Arcanum will be converted to new formats,not stupid ARTs anymore,no shitty proto files .....
    -Every new format will be documented and packed with client in mod sdk if its possible
    -Game will be using some of functions written in assembler with MMX or SSE technology.
    -Game will be translated to from DirectX to OpenGL after game engine will be finished if more people will ask for it (there will be pool for it)

Now I'll ask some of developers if they will be able to help with this project,only C++ and DirectX (Direct3D) knowledge is needed.

So who wants to join ? With more people,it will be much easier... we can do that in few months because we will only create new client (arcanum.exe) that will use (converted) resources from original arcanum.

Phase 1
    1) Begin new project - DONE
    2) Add basic functions from Direct3D to game core - PARTIALY DONE
    3) Convert maps to loadable format - TERRAIN IS DONE
    4) Develope new format for graphics,probably BMP/PNG + info format.
    5) Create map loader,or convert maps to new format
    6) Make test app,that will show loaded map.

Phase 2 will be added after phase 1 will be finished,depending on results...

2. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    *Puppy wanders off singing some made up song about promises in the wind ...*

3. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

4. ville-v

ville-v New Member

We already have a client, and everybody and his dog has been cracking it to do what they want.

As you seem to be worried about multiplaying, you could first make a server program. The current one is not very good, since the server founder has to play with his own character too. It would be better if he could make game and then join with Arcanum client, so if he dies there is no need to restart the world. It could support more networks as well, since Sierra is closing the current one down.

5. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Crypton, while I'd hate to underestimate you, I must ask if you've taken into consideration all the aspects of recreating the Arcanum client from scratch. You appear to be taking the matter rather lightly.

For one, consider the complexity of the map editor - sure, it ain't much by today's standards, but handling all the data it produces will be a bit of work. Also, remember that you'll have to write a script handler, even if not for the retarded arcanum bytecode ones, it will still have to follow the logic of the original game scripts - otherwise importing of the game content won't be possible.

There's also a bit of reverse engineering to be done on the map files. At least to me it appears to be a big task on its own.

If you have plans regarding the project then please share them. Plans for the game engine, the frontend, the file types, the new tools for making content.

Also, C++ is a big step up from Object pascal, and game programming is a huge step up from most other fields of application programming. Arcanum might have been buggy and featured crappy coding here and there, but that doesn't mean a bunch of amateurs can do better at a whim.

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

Good point Bob :) I know what you mean and I know that it wont be easy at all... but hey I'm really looking forward to done this.
    I'm programmer for at least 5 years from now,of course only in Object Pascal but I found out that almost every programming language is same.
    Also I translated a hundreds lines of C++ into Object Pascal before,so I know basics well :)

Also I know assembler well,I've written many functions in assembler before,using mmx and sse technology so I can understand to a disassembled version of Arcanum too...

Of course that if I'll do it alone then it will take me much more time than with assist,the easies way will be to get source codes of Arcanum and modify them heavily :)

I do that also because I want to learn C++ more,plus I'll learn to DirectX more.... so its not completely useless for me :)

7. stylex

stylex Member

Something new for Arcanum!When will this be downloadable?

8. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Well it took a team about 3 years, and this seems to be a solo project so *does some quick and probably bogus computations* 2020 is my estimate.

Really?!?

9. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I was doing my very best not to be the first one to comment on that.
    I was hoping for a list of similarities. :???:

10. Crypton

Crypton Member

3 years ? maybe,but it includes ´making of story.art.sounds and so on.... This project will only make client to load.

ATM: I'm decoding .sec file structure... if anyone know something about .sec files,please write me PM of write to this thread.

11. stylex

stylex Member

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I dare say I would be much more interested in this thread if I had the faintest idea what young master Crypton was trying to say.

13. Crypton

Crypton Member

Damn :D I know my shitty English knowledge wont allow me to describe all "the" things...

In other words:

This project will create a new Arcanum.exe (client),so it will be like a new game... but it will use old Arcanum resources (sounds,textures ...).

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Y'see, that's what I don't get. Are you going to remake the entire game? Enable LAN multiplayer? And what do you mean by 'client'? (Alright, so I'm not that geeky. I'm more of a straight gamer than anything else. I'm just not following this conversation at all.)

15. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

You have a glaring knack for stating the obvious, I'll give you that.

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

sht :) stop quoting that... there should be C instead C++

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

Topic updated.... ;) This weekend,I'll show you a demo of whats already done...

18. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Are you going to at least explain what you're doing fully, first?

19. Crypton

Crypton Member

Well :) On Arcanum club,there is only Russian and they understood... they also offered me help with programming and so on.

This forum is not so open-handed as I though....

I dont know how to explain it in another way,you should find out what "client" in games means ;)

20. Crypton

Crypton Member

Topic updated :) screenshot added....

I'm still searching for some help guys :) nobody offered any help yet... :(

Our Host!