GameRanger: a new online gaming network for Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Scott Kevill, Nov 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill New Member

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing Arcanum online called GameRanger.

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including Arcanum, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the Arcanum community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc.

This is especially important with the recent news of Sierra shutting down the servers for Arcanum.

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new [insert spam babble here] I've created for playing [insert aged game here] online called [obvious advertisement].

Basically, [obvious advertisement] makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including [insert aged game here], of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. [actually connecting to the internet]).

[This spambot] is really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the [insert aged game here] community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems [nonsensical technical jargon disguised as a problem], etc.

This is especially important with the [blatantly obvious incorrect fact] for [insert aged game here].

You can download it at www .[obvious advertisement].com

3. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Does anybody really play online? I have occasionally tried it during these years, and I have only once found a server. If I make one, people will very rarely join.

That is not incorrect, Sierra is shutting the Arcanum game servers down, making it competely impossible to play game online.

4. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

I downloaded it, fairly legit. However, I was unable to host a game of arcanum, it kept telling me to find the .exe and when I did it wouldn't be able to recognize it. I was able to start an AoE3 game though.

5. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

AoE 3 is neither aged nor or on the verge of online collapse.

6. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

:lol: Man, Philes, you have gotten damn funny as of late. I'm starting to think I could learn from you. (Coming from me? MASSIVE compliment.)

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

A true artist! :lol:

9. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Damn, you beat me to it.

10. Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill New Member

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

This is House of Lords. Honey, tough crowd doesn't even come close to describing us.

12. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Oh, so you're not a bot. Well, that makes it about 10 times fucking worse now, doesn't it?

13. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Depends on your definition of the number 10. Besides Arcanum is never really going to be a multiplayer game until someone make a truly amazing multiplayer module. And probably not even after that.

14. Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill New Member

Fair enough, the option is there should anyone need it.

15. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Uh, thanks, maybe this can be put to good use.

All you naysayers can go drown yourself in cynicism.

16. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    What drown?!
    Just a little sprinkle on your toast or cerial is all you need to cynicize all day. Yummy!

17. Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill New Member

Just don't get the words jumbled and sprinkle cyanide. :)

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh, you I like. Witty, sarcastic, venomous... you will do well here.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

The problem with Arcanum multiplayer is that it's terrible. The fact that it doesn't work very well technically is merely a sidebar at this point. In short, nobody plays it because it's terrible.

The reason this ad made little sense/was an outright lie is because Sierra never had servers going recently involving Arcanum, and opening ports on your router is just something that needs doing if you play games online. It's not particularly hard or uncommon.

20. Scott Kevill

Scott Kevill New Member

I've isolated the problem. GameRanger was expecting to find a "modules\Vormantown" folder in the Arcanum installation. It looked for this as a way of distinguishing retail from demo versions, which are both named Arcanum.exe. As it turns out, that folder is only created after the first time you start a server. I will be updating GameRanger to test for the file "modules\Vormantown.dat" instead, which means Arcanum will be detected automatically as it should have been.

Well apparently Sierra didn't know that either:
    http://forums.vgames.com/ann.jspa?annID=332

Just because something bad is common, does not mean it should be acceptable. You're fine with port-forwarding, that's great. This causes major problems for a lot of people, especially if each game uses a different list of ports. Or if they use DHCP and their local IP address changes occasionally, breaking the port-forwarding entries. Or if they have nested networks, eg. PC -> Wireless Router -> DSL Modem -> Internet. Or if they're on a campus network with uncooperative administration. Etc.

Our Host!