which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tim: There he is!
    King Arthur: Where?
    Tim: There!
    King Arthur: What? Behind the rabbit?
    Tim: It *is* the rabbit!
    King Arthur: You silly sod!
    Tim: What?
    King Arthur: You got us all worked up!
    Tim: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit.
    King Arthur: Ohh.
    Tim: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
    Sir Robin: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!
    Tim: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!
    Sir Galahad: Get stuffed!
    Tim: He'll do you up a treat, mate.
    Sir Galahad: Oh, yeah?
    Sir Robin: You manky Scots git!
    Tim: I'm warning you!
    Sir Robin: What's he do? Nibble your bum?
    Tim: He's got huge, sharp... er... He can leap about. Look at the bones!
    King Arthur: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!
    Sir Bors: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!
    *Sir Bors dies*
    Tim: I *warned* you, but did you listen to me? Oh, no, you *knew*, didn't you? Oh, it's just a harmless little *bunny*, isn't it?
    ------
    Teah. I hear this in my head alot.

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I am still playing with the Dwarven Wizard called Bonecrusher, who uses Virgil and the summond creatures as shields and cannon fodder.(This is for the Ironman contest.)

3. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Same here. I'm playing my ironman darf mage, Uglid Worph. He's ugly as a mule. Utilizing the Ring of Influence, Priestess Briggette's blessing, and the Jewl of Hebe, his Beauty has finally gotten to the standard 8.
    He's actually really fun to play, I must admit. I figured the bastard would of died near SH, but he luckily made it to Tarant. From there it was just metagame genius.
    After hearing about the Stillwater Blade, I'm going to make a detour first. I've never gotten the blade to do squat before, but then I've never paid much attention to it....

4. stylex

stylex Member

5. Rado

Rado New Member

What? How?

I'm a stupid ogre...

[​IMG]

...so, obviously the Dark Elves don't have much use for me, but in my game, to join them, I had to do a quest that gave me around -50 to alignment.

6. stylex

stylex Member

Hah!You got 12 points to spend!Get some intelligence!

7. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

No way, the dumb dialogue is amazing. What he should do is get some charisma and persuasion. An evil, silver tongued idiot.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I really need to play a moron character after this month is over.

9. Rado

Rado New Member

(To Nasrudin:

"Why dat? You kilt big bad Arospaz!")

However, you don't get that kind of alignment - and level less than 2/3 through the game - without slaughtering entire continents. There are no joinable NPCs left expect for maybe Z'An Alurin and the Void gang ;)

This character was designed for a brisk and easy playthrough since I'm short on time so there's no need to invest in more stats. What I use these points for is experimentation. I sometimes save, upgrade INT or CH as you said and test different outcomes. Such behavior constantly breaks quests, as Drog noticed, though.

As a sidenote, I wouldn't be able to complete Bloodlines if I didn't stockpile points. That one was actually challenging, since I've played more of a speech boy, but I could do fine with maxed out meele, good talking skills and decent hacking as well as stealth. Until, of course, I've reached the Sheriff and suddenly it turned out I need firearms. Way to balance the game :/

Then again, Troika founders' Fallout was much better on that front than Fallout 2. I've played through the whole game with nothing but my excellent speech, intelligence and charisma, only to face Frank Horrigan at the end. I was such a weakling that neither the rogue squad, nor turrets could help me, much less my companions. Somehow, never had this problem in The Cathedral or the Military Base.

Sorry for going off topic. I brought it up mostly wondering if I would be able to finish Arcanum the same way I've beaten the first Fallout, athough I guess I could with many followers, Arronax and all the Void monsters at my side.

10. Klaz

Klaz New Member

I just finished the game with a pure diplomat, 0 kills in my logbook, 100 alignment, got a very good ending
    (Became a benevolent god, Caladon prospers, Donn Throgg is the ruler of the Industrial Council, Loghaire reigns many years, etc.)
    gives me a fuzzy feeling inside.
    What I did to get through the enemy-infested areas was a combination of prowling, knock-out gas, animal scent, and just running away in real time, a challenging way of playing indeed.

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

All hail Invisibility, that's all I'm gonna say to that.

12. Rado

Rado New Member

Thanks! If I ever get two weeks for myself I'll surely play that way ;)

Oh, what race did you play?

And one more thing:

Maybe I shouldn't spoil it to myself, but how can one become a god and get the rest of the slides?

13. Klaz

Klaz New Member

I was a human with the "Social Worker" background from the new backgrounds mod.

To become a god, if you have Drog's patch installed, you have to tell Kerghan you're going to help him, then inmediatly say that you changed your mind (So that you don't have to kill your poor followers) Kerghan asks you what was your motivation through the game and you get a list of choices. The line you choose defines whether you become a god (Good, neutral, quiet or evil) or a just a famous figure (Good or evil). I think you also have to get Velorien's blessing, but I don't know if it's a real requirement.

14. Rado

Rado New Member

Well, that's weird - I asked Drog about this yesterday. In my game, whenever you choose to

become a god

that's the only slide you get. Yet you also mention other slides, with fates of different people and places. I only get that when I don't talk with Kerghan too much.

15. Klaz

Klaz New Member

That's how it works normally, but I have changed the conditions so that no slide overrides the others. I didn't like how it worked in the original game.

16. Rado

Rado New Member

Oh, see, I argued with Drog that perhaps it always should have been this way, but he obviously knows the inner workings of Arcanum better and in the end, I consider it a good thing he only fixes stuff as opposed to changing it.

Still, I like what you've done and would probably make the same choice if I was in the designer's chair.

17. malango

malango New Member

My very first play (completed) was a half elf archer, nature, mage.
    My second completed character was a Halfing gunner with prowl, this was very fun to play actually. They never see me coming! looking glass rifle is too good, I just fate point it off the master gunsmith.

I've also tried others like the summoner route, which were not finished.

I've recently reinstalled the game after a 3-5 year playing gap, with drogs patch and all the extras ( love that guy! it's so much better now) and I'm having great difficulty picking a player. I started as a human battle mage, but quickly restarted as a human battle tech user. it's so hard to pick a character!

Any ideas? I also have never played evil or as a female but I'm not sure i could tbh, what do you think?

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

For the love of god, go evil non-tech, grab Virgil and Geoffrey, and have the time of your life. You owe it to yourself to do this.

EDIT: Blasted typos...

19. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

My last character was a Female Half-Orc Only Child mage, played completely solo and mostly naked. (As in, she wore Dread Armour.) Played her Good because there isn't an evil path to mastering a school of magic, and mastered Force.

Between Fatigue Slowers, a Mage Staff, and her mastery, she burned everything in her way to the ground. Missed some endings on account o' being unable to persuade, though.

20. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Human mage with Force and Conveyance + Harm, persuasive (going for Master here). I find this quite challenging to play, since I am used to play melee/techie characters, and depending on mana staves/fatigue potions is a bit difficult for my usually fast-paced gameplay. I am forced to wait for in-game hours to replenish my mana supply in staves and my fatigue, since potions are not often to come by (yes, I bought several in a magick shop, but they run out SO FAST!). Any suggestions? Currently level 22, mastered Force and Conveyance. Level 12 CH, 3 persuasion. I am thinking of getting 18 CH ASAP, to be able to persuade Tarrelond-Ashe to join me, despite my alignment.

Any suggestions as to make gameplay a bit easier? Disintegrate is awesome (especially vs elementals and golems, who take 15-20 Harms to take down), but is MUCH too expensive to use all the time (I am in BMC mines atm).

Our Host!