How do you call for specific poses?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Anonymous, Jun 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recently noticed that several of the human NPC art files has the figure crouching in place and either brushing something from their hands or appearing to be picking berries. Art/critter/hmf/hmflaxak.art is one good example

Given that such a pose would be invaluable for a scene where you surprise a thief at a safe, for example, I would really like to know how to set an NPC in that start position.

BTW: A little incentive -
    Three of the files has enough head movement that, with careful positioning, could be used to suggest fellatio.

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

To make the critter adopt a particular pose use "have (obj) perform animation (num)".
    However I've never found it that useful as it tends to look quite choppy with the critter remaining on the spot while performing the animation. The only way around it is prohibitively complicated.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well then, the next question would be where can I find the listing for the animations? A check through the critter folders didn't reveal any list such as the items, scenery, or even eye-candy has.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

The WorldEd manual lists the poses:

"have (obj) perform animation (num)
    have the object play an animation. Valid values are:

0 stand
    1 walk
    3 stealth walk
    5 conceal fidget
    6 run
    7 fall down
    8 get up
    12 pickpocket
    13 vault
    14 throw
    17 decapitation
    18 blown out chunk
    19 severed leg
    20 attack
    21 attack low
    23 stunned
    24 explode"

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks!

After posting, I did think to go through the manual, but I must have blew right on by these.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK - I just spent the weekend trying to get a thief to assume and hold the conceal-fidget position. So far all my efforts succeded only in getting a millisecond flicker of an attempted crouch. Would someone please tell me exactly what script sequence is needed - start to finish, please.

7. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

You have to use timed scripts with "return and skip default", repeat the animation and change the day/night standpoint all with perfect timing.
    I honestly think it is a lot more trouble than it is worth.

By the way, "berry picking" is probably the heal skill.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Judging by what you just posted, you're probably right.
    Pity - The scene had such promise...

9. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A variation on a thieves' quest. You accept an assignment to rob a safe for the schematic to create potion of haste, but find another thief already there and has the safe open. If all goes well she joins you (and your party).
    This was inspired by any one of a hundred different movies and TV shows. I'll figure out another way to tell the story.

11. BPD

BPD New Member

Yes, I know I'm gravedigging and I apologize to anyone this offends. I have the exact same question as posed in this thread, though.

How do you use the scripted animations?

I want an NPC to do his attack animation. A simple "Have Attachee perform animation 20" looks like it should work, but that just results in the flicker mentioned by old-rroyo.

With all of the increased knowledge gained since Sep 30, 2006, can someone post how to get an NPC to play his animation?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rroyo had another problem, animation being too short. You can't loop animations in scripts.

Anyway, attack animations are weapon specific. So, if your critter is not engaged in combat at the moment, it has no attack animations. Thus, you need to copy one for weaponless state. Let's say you want the animation of firing a pistol, that's weapon 6 + anim 20, so it ends in 'gu'. Then just copy it to weapon 0 (no weapon) and some unused animation slot, e.g. slot 2. So your animation will end in 'ac'.

13. BPD

BPD New Member

That sounds easy enough, but I seem to be doing something wrong.

The NPC is a leather armor wearing human. He has a pistol equipped (just in case that makes any difference). He is not in combat.

I located what I think is the correct animation for a leather armor wearing human male with no shield shooting a pistol: hmmlaxgu. I then copy that art file and rename the copy to hmmlaxac.

My script is attached to the NPC dialog point, and is simply

0. have Attachee perform animation 20
    1. Return and SKIP default

Load up the mod, click on the guy, and he just flickers.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. It should end in 'au', as it is still animation 20. Made that change and it works perfectly. Thanks, Drog, I had no idea it was so easy to add animations. I guess it means that every combo of armor/race can have two different weapon animations outside combat: one for attack (20) and one for attack low (21). That's actually not that limiting at all for what I am attempting.

Edit edit: Never mind again! I figured out what you were telling me. I should have called animation 2 instead of twenty when named 'ac'. So there are open animations at 2, 4, 9-11, 15-16, and 22? Awesome!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

C is anim 2, as I stated it earlier. Animation numbers follow the English alphabet, where A is 0, B is 1, etc.

15. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Do you know maybe how to force in game someones nicelooking death.... I mean for example... I want force this critical animation of death when human head of NPC just drop off... (it happens from time to time in a game). But how to play this animation via script?

16. BPD

BPD New Member

Decapitation is animation 17, however if you just play it they jump back to standing when the animation completes, because it is just art. So if you do:

Play animation 17
    have (obj) instantly become prone
    kill (obj)

that might work.

17. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Our Host!