Virgil's Story

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Rado, Nov 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Rado

Rado New Member

I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the Hints & Tips forum, but since I'm not asking about a particular strategy, I guess this place will be fine.

I have just finished Arcanum for the first time as an extremely evil character. I bought the game when it originally came out and found it extremely difficult when playing as a speech boy. Then I couldn't play for some reason and when I had more time eventually, I forgot everything and gave up.

A couple of years later I tried again, this time as a stupid yet benelovent half-ogre. I fared much better but once again, life took precedence to the game.

So, cue November 2008, I have almost no time whatsoever to play games (which is ironic, since I'm writing them for living) and a computer so old, that I had to finish Bloodlines at my friend's house. I get a few days off and think, "Hey, why not play Arcanum!".

It was important to me to finish it fast, though, so an evil half-ogre with a huge bloodlust (or exp-lust) was the way to go. It was a great choice too, since the main quest becomes much shorter after joining the dark elves and it even makes it possible to finish the game without visiting Vendigroth, although only with the boring bad ending.

The downside is, I never experienced Virgil's side story. He was always by my side and I all I got was hints to his past (Wakeem said he used to be a murderer and not a thief, as I suspected, but that was it).

So, since I'm not sure when I will be able to restart the game as an expert elf gambler and orator, could someone please tell me what's up with Virgil? Much appreciated, thanks.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

To sum up, Virgil was a gambler and a small time criminal. He became indebted to a couple of really bad guys and because of that his brother ended up dead. Virgil's path of misery and sorrow led him to the Panarii and Joachim. After that he became a good wannabe priest who helps and frequently annoys the Living One.

After Tsen-Ang he goes to Caladon to confront his past and dies. You can then resurrect him and hear everything I wrote from him.

Also, his resurrection makes him a less annoying person. :D

3. Rado

Rado New Member

Thanks.

Is his brother the dead guy in Roseborough (or was it the other cemetery)? He also appears to have a past with Pollock. Is any of that expanded upon?

4. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

He has a history in Boil, since he lived in Tarant, Maug even calls him by his name. And yes, that's his brother's grave in Caladon.

5. Rado

Rado New Member

I don't think Maug ever had a chance to open his mouth in my game ;)

Once again, thank you.

6. ville-v

ville-v New Member

If you have looked at the gravestone in Caladon he stopped by, you can go to Hall of Records and get a newspaper which does explain quite a bit about his background.

You can also ask Virgil "What do you know about this place", and he will tell you things like "I used to live... uh, I used to want to live here" :roll:

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ask me reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally nicely and I'll put together a more detailed version of Virgil's story next time I reach a good break point in my novel. Or you can wait until December. Whatever.

Our Host!