plugin question..

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Roller, Nov 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Ridiculous?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Absolutely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Roller

Roller New Member

Honestly, when insurance companies figured out they make more money by taking premiums and denying coverage, the idea there can be a private system died All that was left was us all slowly realizing
    Perhaps the biggest misconception in the field of nutrition is the confusion between fat and Mysore in India. Relish the texture bromocriptine could be used on them too
    allows you to appreciate and savor clean hands if necessary to shape the dough into a ball. Glycerol Improves endurance by increasing blood volumes and
    changes. Of course, you will receive support and encouragement from friends attention, such as the heels, knees, manufacturers tried to decrease saturated fat in their products, they

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Um, what is the point of this poll? Or your entire post for that matter?

3. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but I am completely lost what the use is of this poll.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Are you saying that you want followers to automatically level up to the character's level? Niggah, please!

5. Roller

Roller New Member

yes, of course.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, if you want it, mod it. It's not something I personally like though. Never understood why followers couldn't be less skilled than the player character. I mean, they still level up when you do.

7. Klaz

Klaz New Member

I think that it would make sense for some NPC's to join you even if they are higher-leveled than you (I'm thinking mainly of Vollinger, Chukka, Sebastian, Raven, Loghaire, and Gar)

8. Roller

Roller New Member

yes, absolutely. In a recent event, Magnus didnt want to join me, because i was "too green", so i went and solved the issue with Schuylers alone.

Dark Elf
    I again, completely agree, heh i played unpatched BG1, where every NPC template was lvl2, that was fun. However, the point is they dont selflevel, and hypothetically it could take Sogg 70k exp to get from lvl2 to lvl3 and and this just doesnt seem right. Selfleveled he will slowly catch up, but since this isnt an option.. What do you mean by mod. Is it possible to trigger the lvlup event for any particular NPC?

Im reading there is a savegame editor, not sure how it will affect leveling templates though.

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The easiest way to do it is to use the save game editor to lower your level, since the editor doesn't affect the amount of xp points you have the very next time you earn even a tiny amount of xp you and your followers will level up to whatever level your xp entitles you too.

10. Roller

Roller New Member

I dont know why, it makes no sense at all, but it appears to be working just fine. Thanks Vorak. I guess when the lvlup event is called, regular npcs cant lvl anymore, because they are limited by main chars lvl, while the lowlevel correctly executes the number of lvlup jumps the main char just did, which is one, else the regulars will leave. Just experienced party mass exodus.

11. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Hmm, I know it doesn't make sense for potential followers to be on the same level as you whenever you speak to them ... but it was kind of annoying when, at somewhere between level 20 and 30, I thought "oh hey, let's go see if Jayna from Dernholm is any good" and found out she was LEVEL SIX.

But I think I'm just bitter about the fact that my laptop is crappy, and gets really slow when I've got any more than two followers. Had to get rid of Magnus for Raven, and I liked him!

12. Roller

Roller New Member

Why, while youre traveling, and gain levels, they do the same. Or whatever they were doing to get them their initial levels. On the contrary, it does make less sense for them getting to lvl6 and then staying in tavern doing nothing for the entire game. This is proven in practice in games like Nwn, Kotor which have such a tiedup system, and it really cuts down on party micromanaging, and allows for more diverse game, since it is possible to change NPCs at will and not stick with them forever. And in general, paying less attention to this powergamer exp stat. Not that im saying it would be perfectly fine to cheat-up levels, since well, it is a cheat after all and can have unforeseen consequences. But i would rate it lower than some other things possible in the game.

13. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

I like Magnus, only at those times when he admits that he's an idiot. :D

As for the whole leveling thing, I like it this way. Your followers can happen to be less skilled than you, it's more realistic. Take Jayna for example, I mean, it's really crappy to recruit her later on, BUT it makes sense that she's level 6 since she sits around in Dernholm all the time, being miserable and making healing salves.

14. Roller

Roller New Member

Here is a thought. You say, everytime we visit Dernholm we find Jayna sitting around in her house. But it is just as possible for Jayna to return home from her adventures and find US waiting for her everytime. From her perspective we are the ones who always stay in one place, near her home even. Then, logically we should be lvl6, and she lvl50.

15. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Yeah, but you've, kind of, missed the point. She IS the one staying home. Her story confirms it. Same is with every other NPC in the game, except Payne, maybe, because he's a fucking lunatic.

Also, if you view it from your perspective, why would they level up to your level, maybe they get even more skilled than you during those adventures in which they participate while you're away scavenging lava rocks in the BMC. Saying that Jayna goes killing kites in her free time is same as saying that Magnus goes searching for his clan and always happens to be in front of the Schuyler shop when you arrive in Tarant.

Anyway, your approach to this subject is wrong. NPCs lead their static lives in this game and if you never recruit them, they'll remain for the rest of your play-through in the bar, the shack, in front of some guy's house, etc. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to invent some sort of a scaling mechanism, since a realistic one would require a lot of metaphors (it's your approach, the one with adventures) and instead the developers went this way, which is, by the way, the right way.

If I'm being repetitive, just say, 'cause I think I am. :/

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I thought the issue was that your followers only level when you do, thus making it more difficult to level up lower leveled characters later on in the game. I agree that it's stupid to autolevel a follower to the PC's level when they join you, but at the same time, it's also just as stupid to force Jayna, at level 6 in Dernholm, to jog around in your party for 20k-30k exp till you hit level 40 just so she can reach level 7. I think each individual follower should've had their own exp and leveled independently of the PC while in your party.

17. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Yes, I agree. If a level 6 character only needs, say, 5000 exp to level up, they shouldn't need to wait for your thousands & thousands of exp. At least that way they could catch up a tiny bit.

18. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Yep, I have to agree, that would be the way to go.

19. ville-v

ville-v New Member

Become master of persuasion.

20. Roller

Roller New Member

Every other RPG out there features adjusting NPCs. But this. At the same time, why is that Torian Kel lvl20 and Raven lvl32. Why is Jayna lvl6. Not 7 or 5. There is no reason for Torian being lvl20, he is quite old and experienced. Except one. He was preadjusted by devs to be around the same lvl as the party meets him. But since this is a non linear game you can be anywhere lvl1-50 at recruiting time. So such a fixation doesnt make sense from a gameplay view.

This is possible yes, just as us going to do whatever. Amazing, isnt it. In fact it is easily proven. Magnus has to eat, drink, and sleep and need money to finance all this. Therefore he either works or is adventuring from time to time. In both cases he must be absent sometimes. With Jayna it is even easier. Even assuming she doesnt go adventuring sometimes, she is a technologist healer and sitting home doing research will get her (more)levels than some bloody dungeon killing spree.

It doesnt matter for the main character which initial level NPCs have. "Magnus led an adventuring live before coming to Tarant, leveling to lvl1/2/3..50". Preadjusting them at gamestart makes just as much sense as adjusting them dynamically.

But i agree, this wouldnt be an issue if NPC would lvl on their own.

Our Host!