Whelp, wish me luck.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Oct 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Results for the 24 Hours of Sunday November 2nd:
    Words Written Today: 2,573
    Words Total: 2,573
    Location Written: My Friend Ricky's House
    While Watching: St. Trinian's (the new one), Down Periscope and Final Fantasy Unlimited. (St. Trinian's and Down Periscope are the best kind of crack. FFU is just plain nauseating.)
    No Write Days Claimed: 1 (Sat 1)
    Core Characters Introduced: 1/5 (Elenor 'My Last Name Is Somewhat Appropriate' Swift)
    Core Characters Mentioned But Not Seen: 1 (Taiv 'I Shoot For The Groin' Gray)
    Sly Arcanum References: 5 (Appleby, Bates, Dernholm, Magic and Technology don't mix, Franklin Payne)
    Today Was: A Much, Much Better Day :)

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

In case you hadn't guessed yet, I'll be posting these 'progress reports' every day until either I finish the novel (which is starting to look like it'll be a fair bit longer than 50,000 words) or November ends.

Words Written Today: 3,135
    Words Total: 5,708
    Location Written: My Bedroom
    While Watching: Nothing Much
    While Listening To: Black Mages, FFXII Soundtrack, and 'Devils Never Cry' from DMC3.
    Core Characters Introduced: 3/5 (Added: Cliff 'I Wear Knuckledusters Under My Gloves' Kuhl and Lady Nei 'I Am A Duplicitous Bitch In The Name Of My Queen' Fereth)
    Dares Achieved: 1/5 (Posted Below)
    Broken Noses Inflicted: 1 (Elenor in a barroom brawl, only punch she threw)
    Really Unhealthy Meals Consumed In Lieu Of Losing Time Cooking: 1
    Time Lost To Fucking Having To Cook AND Clean Anyways: An hour and a half!
    Today Was: A Damn Fine Day

Excerpt Of The Day:

"Thank you for the help, both of you," she said, slipping the photograph into her vest and curtseying a little. "I need to go now."
    As she left, a drunk combatant managed to stumble back to his feet. "It's the magical food of the elves, and it tastes like chicken! Chicken!" he said, lurching backwards into the wall and groaning. She ducked round him and left for the blessed openness of the streets, rolling her eyes and wondering just what in the hells elves were anyway.

(The Chicken thing was the dare.)

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If you're going longer than 50,000 words you're doing the right thing. It's just like running. If all you're going to ever run is those 100 meters, you'll start as fast as anyone else but approaching the finish line you'll slow down and fall behind. So if you aim for 50k+, you stand a better chance of reaching the target in time.

4. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    *cheers Xiao on* :wavey:

So is this or will this be posted somewhere?
    Or are you taking e-mail requests?
    I'd like to read the finished work.

5. Fromage

Fromage New Member

In college for about 3 months I watched Down Periscope nearly non-stop. I really have no good reason why, I just didn't want to go through the effort of putting another tape in, so when it stopped and auto-rewound I'd start it up and do it all again.

It's a bad movie, sure, but almost completely non-invasive in its badness...and it features Artie, the Strongest Man in the World!

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Don't get too overconfident or you'll hit burnout and it will just end at around 10,000 words.

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Your argument fails because it implies that there would be an upper limit to Xiao's ego.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Wha? Are we talking about the same film here? Kelsey Grammar movie, very funny, best walk the plank scene in movie history.

Grakelin: You wish. I'm already at 7,000 words and going strong. I will be victorious! :asshole:

Come the end of the month I'll start taking requests from those interested in have a squiz.

9. Fromage

Fromage New Member

Yup, he plays the sonar operator.

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Oh YEAH! Sonar! Man, he's funny as hell. The whole bit with the hand signals and Nitro trying to get involved without any idea what was going on.

"I know why you're here, but why am I here?"
    "Why am I here?"
    "You know... the thing!"
    "What thing?"
    "The weenie tattoo!"

That was such a hysterical conversation.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I liked the bit of:

"I woke up with a hangover and a tattoo. I don't recommend the tattoo."

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Kelsey Grammar was perfect for that role.

Progress For Tuesday 4th of November
    Words Written Today: 2,694
    Words Total: 8,402
    Location Written: My Bedroom and Lounge Room
    While Watching: St. Trinian's, Star Trek: First Contact, and Judge Judy
    While Listening To: The St. Trinian's School Song and the Atelier Iris 1 Soundtrack
    Serious Injuries Suffered By Core Characters: 3 (Cliff got knocked out, Nei got a sword hilt to the jaw, and Elenor fell down a hill and ripped her arm open really badly)
    Meals Cooked For Me By My Sister: 1
    Annoying Distractions That Hurt My Word Count: 2 (Centrelink Contact, Allergy Injection)
    Today Was: Tolerable, but could have been better

Excerpt Of The Day:

He fell, and she pounced, pinning him beneath her weight long enough to tie his wrists together with the scarf. "I had a better plan," she said, whipping his belt off and looping it around his knees before rolling off. "Do remember to send my scarf back, okay?"
    "When we sweep over this land, my commander will give you to me and I will destroy you!" he raged, struggling to regain his feet and falling on his face.
    "Be sure to tell him you got outwitted and overpowered by a tiny girl, I'm sure he'll get a good laugh out of it," she said, running back towards the scene of the battle.

(Elenor is turning into a massive smart alec. I love her! She's so easy to write for!)

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

It looks like it will come out real good.

With that excerpt only you have caught my attention(ohh, shiny. Nobody cares about me anyway...), and I can't wait to read the whole story.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Heh... that excerpt is one of my favourite bits so far, actually. It's going to have some... interesting repercussions for Elenor. :D

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Progress for Tuesday 5th November
    Words Written Today: 2,463
    Words Total: 10,865
    Location Written: Bedroom and Lounge Room
    While Watching: Star Trek: TNG and Spicks and Specks
    While Listening To: Stairways to Heaven and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (I have no idea how to spell that name... Both unexpected CDs for me to listen to, but Romeo and Juliet is surprisingly inspirational. I'm hoping to find Vivaldi's Four Seasons tomorrow)
    Magic Misuses: 2 (Nei using Elenor's injury to 'trigger' her magic without permission, and Elenor's unexpected first use of said magic)
    New Core Characters Created: 1 (Noel 'If I Could Talk To The Animals... Wait, I Can' Chandler, not introduced yet but Elenor has been doing the 'Squeeee' dance in my head ever since I created him)
    Authorial Squee Moments: 1 (Damn you, TNG's O'Brien, can you and Keiko please stop being so unspeakably adorable? You're distracting me!)
    Fairytale Scenery: 1
    Family Arguements: 1
    Really Unhealthy Meals Consumed In Lieu Of Losing Time Cooking: 2 (Damn you McDonalds!)
    Today Was: A Poor Day (I wish I could have done better)

16. wobbler

Looking good, looking good.

And if you have a hard time finding it, I have Vivaldi's Four season and many other classical pieces too.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

For reals? Niiiiice. I actually meant find as in 'go searching through the three cupboards full of classical music that my father has'. That's how I stumbled across Romeo and Juliet.

(And my mother's old Enya and Tom Lehrer cds. Wewt for the master of satirical awesome!)

18. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Enya...whoa. Last time I heard Enya I was drunk, high and sleeping with a young mother of 3. God I miss junior high.

19. wobbler

I guess you can do it that way too, but I prefer searching the tubes and Download everything I can find :p

I know I have som enya too, and I will most probaly get some more later today.

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Progress for Thursday 6th November

Words Written Today: 3,378
    Words Total: 14,243
    Location Written: My Bedroom
    While Watching: Nada
    While Listening Too: Star Ocean 3 Soundtrack, Enya's Memory of Trees and Watermark
    Core Characters Introduced: 4/6 (Taiv 'I Shoot For The Groin' Gray, feel free to take said nickname as literally as possible)
    Unexpected Revelations: 1 (Taiv is banging Nei. On a daily basis. :-o )
    Lives Utterly Destroyed: 1 (Poor Elenor...)
    Flip-Outs: 1
    Overarching Plot Points Introduced: 1
    Rewritten Paragraphs To Improve Coherency: 3
    Today Was: A very good day indeed!

Our Host!