Arcanum Ironman Contest: Dwarven Mage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Oct 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Just because he's different, doesn't mean that everybody has to hate him. Besides, you played a dwarven mage. You've seen the destruction and mayhem. You know it's the way.

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I totally need to get on board with this.....

Perhaps boredom will inspire me to try this at some point this weekend!

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Heh, this is cool. Doubt I'll join in, though... I've less than a week to the NaNo and my plot has decided to fuck off unexpectedly and I can't find the little bastard.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I made another valiant attempt today. I must say, keeping a dwarven mage alive is some tough shit. I've yet to have a character reach Tarant.

Oh, did I spoil all the fun now? Forget what I just said. Here's the epic saga of Sindri Darkstone, dwarven summoner!

[​IMG]

Even before devoting himself to the magickal arts, Sindri was always the odd one out in his clan, proclaiming "ALBERICH IS DEAD" to the great embarrassment of his parents. Possibly due to the god's anger, Sindri always failed more than other dwarves, but at least had the wit to learn from those mistakes. Disenchanted by the devotion to technology displayed by his race, he came to dabble in the arts of summoning, and eschewed the traditional dwarven axes and warhammers in favor of thrown weapons such as boomerangs. Since mages need meatshields, he also grew to become a lot more posh and eloquent than is the norm amongst dwarves.

[​IMG]

Here we are, straight after the blimp crash, showing off our nice boomerang, bought at an aboriginal gift shop during our trip to Australia. We know that it's authentic aboriginal produce, because it says "Made in China" at one end. Truly a devastating weapon, the boomerang slaughtered the wolves and boars at the crash site, while Virgil valiantly them away from our hero.

[​IMG]

We've gained a level! Boldly, we decide to devote our next point to increase our mastery in summoning! Now, we can conjure ugly green men with swords! The joy! The happiness. ITS HEAVAN!

[​IMG]

We go through the trouble of being incessantly entangled by a purple creature with a wobbly head, and for what? Two lousy potions? Too bad we can't carry away the chest itself, because the shaman sure as hell wasn't risking his life for the sake of two potions.

[​IMG]

The ugly green swordsman in action! Do I feel powerful or what?

[​IMG]

The war machine just keeps on mowing down the resistance. For the record, this must be the stupidest assassin in the history of backstabbing. Three against one, and he still followed his contract? Say what you will about the Molochean Hand, but they're reliable fellows. Won't flinch in the face of opposition.

[​IMG]

Turns out Arbalah had a pet bear in his front yard. Because Sindri had such a bad upbringing however, he's compulsive about killing other people's pets, and thus we slaughtered the animal like any real man would.

[​IMG]

BLASPHEMY! A mage, helping the local blacksmith by giving him some technological materials? A tough decision, but Sindri needs the xp. Needs it bad.

[​IMG]

Orcs are good fighters, but we fear that we will need even more muscle on our journey. Therefore, we trick the local drunk into following us by buying him some cheap wine. If the same only worked on women...

[​IMG]

A Molochean Hand assassin waiting outside of Fahrkus shack! Sneaky bastard, he must have known that I always do this quest!

[​IMG]

The fool got what he deserved, but damn, could he handle that knife! The pool of blood beside the dead assassin was an orcish grunt that likely took the stabs I would have received. Notice how much fatigue Sindri has.

Great, now we have a suit of armor for Virgil.

[​IMG]

Back at Arbalah's place, we gain yet another level. We decide to delve into the mysteries of white necromancy. After all, rule #1 is to have a lot of meatshields. Rule #2 is keeping those meatshields alive.

[​IMG]

Look at the mayhem!

Unfortunately, I didn't unsummon the orc before I talked to Doc Roberts about a reward, and therefore I missed out on the enchanted sword. Doc Roberts is a pussy.

[​IMG]

Orcs are good, but we also want to summon ogres. Therefore, willpower is a good idea.

[​IMG]

A chest? I wonder what it contains...

[​IMG]

A ring of protection! Who needs a cup when a piece of jewellery can protect the jewels?

[​IMG]

Sindri has yet to learn the Invisibility spell, but he understands.

[​IMG]

We travel to Dernholm. Suddenly, two golden bears appear out of nowhere! Hopefully, my meatshields have what it takes to fix this.

[​IMG]

Turns out Virgil was full of fail. Oh well, it leaves a slot open for a more competent fighter I guess. Low-level Arcanum is heavily into social darwinism, after all.

[​IMG]

To compensate for the loss of Virgil, we metagame a bit and use the shiny fate point we got from persuading Lukan to leave the bridge to give Sogg a nice little sword to play with.

[​IMG]

Because 600 lbs of half-ogre with a Sword of Baltar could mean a lot of trouble if angered, we decide to be a good guy this time around and refrain from killing Archibald, tempting as it may be.

[​IMG]

The king sends us to Black Root to collect some taxes, and here we buy a suit of Gnomish chainmail. Nice and shiny, and will hopefully give us some much needed protection. Thorvald would be pissed if he saw this.

[​IMG]

After a visit at Liam's workshop, we're on our way back to tell his mother some really crappy news. Unfortunately, we're waylaid by a grizzly bear. Not even the Sword of Baltar could help old Sogg this time around. I'm running out of meat shields.

[​IMG]

Of course, the game wouldn't let me reach Tarant this time either. A pack of wolves appeared in the night, and tore poor Sindri's intestines out.

Fuck. It.

This is HARD!

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If you're using meatshields, I highly recommend you invest points into stun while using turn-based.

Also, fix your damn image tags!

Also, nice story! Full of failure! Exclamation point!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here's a tip: the first spell in Nature will save your ass in many random encounters.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    You're right about that. I've also considered trying the Stun + Backstab route, even though I consider that to be sort of an exploit. However, having died with like 6 dwarves already (some too unimportant to deserve mention in this thread) I've realized that as a dwarf mage, you need all the exploits you can get.

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Hah, Sindri was an interesting fellow! :D Too bad he didn't reach Tarant. I'll make a second dwarf mage sometimes soon. Hopefully, he'll have more luck than the other dwarfs in this thread.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I hereby christen this thread as the 'Dwarven Graveyard'. :D

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

When I get back to my place I definitely need to get in on this one.

11. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Ah damn it....did I inspire this debatacle in you Dark Elf?
    I have no images or saves! My HD slit it's throat at Arronax!!!!
    You're a cunt, ya know that?! I'm installing the game again just to join this nutjob of a contest.
    My test has shown that Nature isn't a pussy college....

12. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm thinking I might've to try this one out... also, I think I've come up with the next Ironman challenge.... but I'll save it for when we get done with this one.

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Ok, starting this up now.

Mods being used:
    UAP
    High Quality Town Maps

Also have installed Dark Sentinel's portrait pack and Deathsangel's Custom Backgrounds but will not be using either for this challenge.

Adventures of Magmi the Forge Mage

Like all dwarves, Magmi has basic military training. However his calling is in the shop where he puts his affinity for earth and fire magicks to great use for his Clan. (Character Creation: +1 CHA, +1 Dodge, +1 Melee, Earth Magick 1, Fire Magick 1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little mage-y shopping before we get under way:

[​IMG]

Magmi doesn't care for the other passengers and thinks Virgil is a sycophantic nut job, but sees the value of a healer in his journeys so he welcomes Virgil to join him.

[​IMG]

Magmi sees dead people (and enjoys looting them all).

[​IMG]

Nature... what a dreadful thing. Magmi does his best to rid the crash site of its local fauna.

[​IMG]

An ogre on a plane? What will they think of next?! Magmi smells plot development.

[​IMG]

YAY!! Magmi levels up (and gains another point of CHA)

[​IMG]

A lot of gold for the Kite Shaman and one of those sweet, sweet blue potions to boot, but all in all not a great haul.

[​IMG]

Magmi is appreciating taking Virgil along, for being a storage locker on legs if nothing else...

[​IMG]

Mamgi shows his appreciation for Arballah's blessing by murdering him and looting the corpse. Contemplates giving the old naked (and quite dead) geezer his robe back but figures the scavengers would it eat and it will fetch him a little more gold. Sorry Arballah, but thank you for your magicks! (Also leveled to 3 and gained a point of WP for this quest chain)

[​IMG]

Magmi reaches Shrouded Hills and calls it a night. (Or day... whichever...)

[​IMG]

And with that my good people I go to bed. Will continue Magmi's adventures in Shrouded Hills tomorrow after work.

14. Archmage Orintil

Edit: Damn. My images were deleted. Oh well, a shitty mage deserves not to be remembered.

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Perhaps I should join in with a saga of the dwarf called Bonecrusher.

16. Cooto3s

Cooto3s New Member

I'm gonna do one of these too. I'll finish the game aswell!

17. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

And so the saga of Bonecrusher begins!

[​IMG]

Bonecrusher has been in the army of a Dwarven Clan.

[​IMG]

Now Bonecrusher chose spells from the element of fire, and he really loves to summon things, that could take the hits for him.

[​IMG]

Here he is, at the crash site of the airship, and he really don't care about the others, because he survived, and that counts.

[​IMG]

In battle Bonecrusher uses the summoned Orc and Virgil, as shields, and as cannon fodders.

To be continued.

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    I'm still convinced that summoning/charisma + followers is the way to go, simply because dwarven mages suck and they need others to do the fighting for them.

Only problem with that is that you'll gain levels at an atrociously slow rate, meaning that you need some (preferably ranged) way of attacking from the safety behind your meatshields.

I'll have another go at it tomorrow; I've classes to attend to in the morning and I'm tired because of tonight's Iwama Ryu, and I really need to catch some shut-eye.

19. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

I tried this for a gnome technician (I know, heresy in this topic), but even that fails... I in the end increased my firearms from 2 to 3... still not enough. With Dog, Sogg Meat Mug, Virgil, another follower (it is late, okay?) and an army of arachnids... I bloody haven't reached level 40 doing all quests, except Half-Ogre Island (hé rp, okay?) while getting ready to enter the Vendigroth Ruins... I might just reach 40. Unfortunately AWIP don't seem to change this.
    At the Dwarven mages. Yes, interresting, but I need to look through my contracts I am starting my job on monday. I also would rather love to make a kind of eldricht warrior (so magic and fighting) with one of my backgrounds and that is violating two rules.

20. Archmage Orintil

I got a long one here. Learning from my mistakes, I changed my strategy. I chose Beat with an Ugly Stick background, I put 1 point into Willpower, 2 points into Pickpocket, and 2 points into Fire. So here we go.
    Hearing of his dwarf cousins, D'worrf Dat'Sukks murder, Uglid Worph books passage on the second IFS to avenge the insult done to his family. However, Uglid Worph, who was brutally beat with an ugly stick as a child is butt ugly as hell. His appearance is so disturbing that it provokes two strange ogres in areoplanes to attack, causing the blimp to crash...again. He manages to survive and make his butt ugly way to Shrouded Hills where his horrid appearance allows him to pick pocket Rietzes chest key. Uglid Worph makes a huge profit pilfering the idiot merchants money for nearly a month. He then purchases expensive equipment from the mysterious gypsy lady, who despite her -2 hatred of Uglids appearance, agrees to sell to him for 190% more than the shit should cost. Uglid, having had enough of everyones judgemental mentality towards his looks, decides to leave Shrouded Hills without bothering to help anyone with their problems.
    [​IMG]
    But ahoy, the bridge has been usurped by petty criminals and they refuse to allow Uglid to pass. Uglid, really annoyed, burns them to a cinder with surprising ease.
    After the thieves had been delt with, Uglid is approached by the very gnome he's been looking for. This time however the short turd is not victorious. With his family honor restored, Uglid decides to visit Tarant for a well deserved vacation.
    [​IMG]
    Wow...he actually manages to make it to Tarant. Better than his cousin.
    [​IMG]
    In an attempt to curb peoples negative attitude towards his appearance, Uglid uses his fate point to steal the mighty Ring of Influence. However, due to his lack of magical aptitude, the ring is barely successful.
    [​IMG]
    Realizing his vulnerability of dying should he be hit with a wet noodle, Uglid meta games and buys a ticket to Ashbury.
    [​IMG]
    Amazingly the gnome beating the dog is actually scared away by Uglid. Probably due to his ugliness. Luckily, the mutt is much appreciative of Uglid and joins him after humping his leg and pissing on his worn boots. Uglid doesn't mind this as it's much better than what people usually do to him.

Fast Forwarding a bit we find Uglid, Virgil, and Dog in Blackroot to collect taxes. The mayor of Blackroot however thinks he's smart, and decides to test Uglid by telling him to get his dagger back from some thieves. Uglid thinks the mayor is an idiot for being willing to give up a chest of gold worth 5k gold for a dagger worth 17 gold, but he keeps his opinion to himself and heads off to the thieves.
    [​IMG]
    Uglid feels a bit sweaty. Is he up to the task or will this be the end of Uglid Worph, clan cousin to D'worrf Dat'Sukks?
    [​IMG]
    Uglid was a genius to get Dog long before the game plot takes him to Ashbury!
    [​IMG]
    Uglid decides to go back to Tarant and get this journey started in earnest. First up, dwarf zombie making company, P. Schuyler and Sons. But what's this, yet another dwarf brother? And he attacks Uglid? Dumb dwarf. Uglid has dog!
    [​IMG]
    Some more Fast Forwarding and we find Uglid in Stillwater. He hasn't yet been to Bates, but he wants a point to Beauty really bad.
    [​IMG]
    Only with Ghestianna can a butt ugly dwarf have a multisexual orgy. Uglid's spirits are rising at his epic virginity loss.
    [​IMG]
    More Beauty, more! Uglid is obsessed with defeating his Beat with an Ugly Stick background by hording all things that add to Beauty! Not even the Panarri can stand in his way!
    [​IMG]
    Yes! Uglid hath now reached normal Beauty levels!
    [​IMG]
    With his obsession tempered a bit, Uglid decides to finally go to Gil Bates to see what all this fuss is with people trying to kill him.
    It seems the old chap wants our dwarf hero to go to some strange place called Black Mountain. Sounds fun, so he agrees. First however he returns a painting to some rich bitch and gains a level. For fun he also agrees to go grave robbing.
    [​IMG]
    Uglid nearly dies on the way there. But dog saves him. Good dog.
    [​IMG]
    "Mean looking bunch. They killed a helpless unarmed old geezer 4 to 1. They must be dangerous.", Uglid thinks to himself.
    [​IMG]
    Or not. Here I saved. Had to go work.
    [​IMG]
    Ah! The treasure Uglid agreed to steal.
    [​IMG]
    Uglid is waylaid by a were rat on his way to turn over the tombstone.
    [​IMG]
    Oh the horror! Virgil sacrificially sacrificed himself to protect Uglid. Such loyalty should be rewarded with the chance to do it again at a later date.
    [​IMG]
    Good thing Uglid murdered and robbed a bunch of resurrection scrolls from some magick shop in Blackroot.
    [​IMG]
    Fast Forwarding some more. We find Uglid and Co in the Wastes. Before heading off to Black Mountain, Uglid thought it was wise to first gain some experience. After many brutal battles where his life nearly ended more than a few times, and Virgil got his chance to die in his protection, Uglid has finally learned all the secrets of Fire.
    [​IMG]
    Thinking himself clever, Uglid metagames to Tulla and with careful clicking of the world map, finds himself inside a building. "Uglid smart!", he happily thinks.
    [​IMG]
    Uh oh. Uglid had forgotten that the powerful ogre god Drog Black Tooth fixed this bug. Thankfully Uglid had leveled up soon before this and learned the Teleportation spell, otherwise this would have been the end of our hero.
    [​IMG]
    Mwhahahaha! After a very long time criss crossing the desert, Uglid manages to fall in a crack between a building and the outer wall, giving him unrestricted access to Tulla.
    [​IMG]
    Armed with the Fire Mastery Amulet, Uglird prepares to face the test of mastery.
    [​IMG]
    Success! Our hero Uglid has truly mastered the magical element of Fire!
    [​IMG]
    He then proceeds to slaughter every master with an arcane staff and small arcane robes. What's this? A scroll of Familiar? The ability to gain another permanent, mindless follower who is grossly higher level than himself? Uglid casts it immediately.
    Now, finally at long last, Uglid is ready to face the trials and hazards of Black Mountain.
    [​IMG]
    Twas easier than he thought it would be. At the end Uglid finds yet another dwarf. This one is crazy however and keeps speaking of banishment by measly elves and some such nonsense.
    [​IMG]
    Haha! Uglid smiles as he breaks Gilbert Bates spirit by telling him the truth. This makes Uglid so happy that he agrees to hop on over to the Isle of Despair for sight seeing.
    [​IMG]
    And that's where this tale ends for now. We shall pick it up again later.

Our Host!