which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Everyone should play a dwarven mage at least once. Attaining magick mastery is never so sweet with other races as it is with the rotund bearded midgets. It's one of those few character builds where you can actually consider dumping points into the Fatigue stat.

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

I haven't played in a while... but you can't go wrong with a charismatic technologist in a nice suit.

Then again, the next time I play I might re-play my drunk, depressed, alcoholic half-orc hitman.

3. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

I've mastered Earth magick. It's a new experience. I'm level 45 at the moment (all hard work, dying a few dozen times) and only 2 followers (plus dog, which I had to drop to get the second follower, Payne). Despite having Veloriens Blessing, being a dwarf mage is a challenge to say the least.
    The game has bitch slapped me around more than my wife does when I forget to do dishes.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

An ironman playthrough as a dwarven mage should be awesome, I suppose.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    May have got more to do with your mastery of Earth magick than your choice to play a dwarf. Earth magick really provokes few hooray's, what with Stone Throw being quite weak for a level 2 attack spell and such. Having said that, it's damn impressive that you've picked such a character and decided to stick with it.

You're putting ideas in my head now.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I got around playing ironman myself. The rules I set up for myself are that I have to play a pure elven mage, with no equipment and no skills at all. No followers as well. I can only wear the most common robes, but any spells/potions are allowed. No saving as well, of course.

In reality this was scary only until I got the Guardian Ogre spell. I basically summon him and then control him via F1/F2 while being off screen myself. I completed the BMC at level 10 this way. I also cast Shield of Protection on him sometimes, so he rarely gets killed. Harm also helps if enemies do get close to me.

I wonder if I'll be able to finish the game this way.

7. ragbasti

ragbasti New Member

i'm starting a sneaky little halfling (born under a sign) right now.

he will probably go solo, that why i get some magical alignment for self heal and halt poison.
    Maybe i'll hand him a stillwater blade ^^
    then it's gonna be him and the über bunnies.

just hit tarant and have only 1 more level to finally get my prowling expert lesson.

i'm so looking forward to actually getting the master degree and hiding in the middle of combat xD
    that's gonna be so awesome

PS: spartial distortion + backstab kick ass xD

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

A human mage. Force, Fire and recently Conveyance (tired of walking :D).

Level 28, going to Caladon in search of Victor Misk and the big bad book.

I'm going to make a dwarven mage as soon as I finish with this guy.

9. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Yeah. Never bothered much with the college before, but I was using that Tullan book (the one describing "proper" magical enlightenment) as my guide. I wanted a thematically accurate dwarven mage, so fire and earth seemed appropriate choices for the elemental aspects, with mastery in Earth. I had almost completed my path to magickal perfection. All I had left to learn was Tempus Fugit. I made it all the way to Arronax and my laptop hard-drive decided to end it's life. Worst timing ever. A bit ironic actually. I think the souls of a decimated Stillwater from a previous game were getting even with me. Choosing the day before in-laws visit for a week, they left me without my game and thus taught me a humbled, nobler path of Arcanum life....until I reinstall the game of course.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    You'll probably need summons packing a bit more punch, like the Hellgate demon. I'd also suggest the Vorpal Bunny.

11. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I haven't seen hte Demon in action yet, but Vorpal Bunnies ROCK!
    Playing with the StillWater Blade and multiple Vorpal Bunnies still brings a tear to my eye. It's such a beautiful thing, really. *sniff*

12. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

Vorpal Bunnies probably come from the Stillwater Blade, but I never actually figured out how to get that blade to work. Even my followers love to equip the blade, but never use its summon ability.
    How does one get that done actually? :/

13. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I've put my attempts at a Technomancer on hold for now and have decided to take part in the Arcanum Ironman Contest. Dwarf Mage named Magmi.

14. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

You equip the blade. You see the magick symbol left of the quick slot items.

You can summon an animal according to your magickal aptitude. Funny, Virgil always summons wolves when goes into fight. :/

15. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Yep, that's how it works. I was impressed with the bunnies. Then I started buffing them. It was such a sight to behold. There’s just something about a fluffy little cottontail chewing it’s way inside someone’s leg, following the bone up into the main body cavity, then popping out there skull. I'm getting all teary again. *sniff* :cry:

I've never giving the blades to my followers. I'll have to try this with my next crew.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

17. Cooto3s

Cooto3s New Member

18. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

19. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

But I tried...!
    I am having a total noob feeling :cry: or a faulty install :p

20. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Maybe they're invisible... Heh heh, I kill myself.

*bad jokes*

Our Host!