Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. armaxor

armaxor New Member

Yes, it seems it is intentional. I simply thought that invisibility is not something you are obliged to use all the time, and it always can be turned off to continue the game. Moreover, plot specific NPCs are placed in the way they cannot be missed or not noticed. To me it looks like a bug which helps not to get lost in the game.
    Anyway thanks for response and your work :)

2. stylex

stylex Member

So, there's some Reflection Shield bug?Perm Invisibility?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

All the old tricks you used to use the Reflection Shield for should be available.

Of course, one of the things I'm hoping works as well in the field as on my computer is the new effects limit doesn't cause a glitch in the spell mechanics.

4. Sock

Sock New Member

Great mod, adds a lot to the game, and takes out a lot of the minor annoyances.

One problem I recently encountered, though. The door to the second room in the Iron Clan doesn't send you to the right place. It put me north east of the room, in the blackness.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Sock!
    Glad to hear you're liking the mod, and I'll check out the Iron Clan as soon as I wake up.

Thanks for telling me.

Edit - Found the problem and another one.
    Some teleport scripts didn't get packed for some reason.
    Here's a patch to restore them:

*Link removed*

Download directly into your Sierra/Arcanum folder, then double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat.
    Now you can play the scene.

New problem: The three automatons in the throne room were fighting each other. The faction listings had been wiped.
    The patch does not correct this.

6. stylex

stylex Member

So how can I make a bug with Reflection Shield?

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

One way is to cast Dominate Will on someone, then cast Reflection Shield.
    Now cancel Dominate Will, then Reflection Shield.
    You now have a dominated follower who doesn't cost you fatigue points.

You can also summon a desired creature, then cast Reflection Shield on the creature.
    Now delete the creature, then the shield.
    You get to keep the creature until it dies. Repeat to build a summoned army.

Pretty cool, huh?

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Any reason why the glitch won't work on Create Undead?

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It seems like it should, but truthfully, I don't know - yet.

10. stylex

stylex Member

Does the Invisibility bug works?I tried it but it didn't work.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Don't feel bad, I could never get that to work for me either.

12. armaxor

armaxor New Member

I have a question about 'sense hidden':
    I've tried it many times in all possible ways, but I have never seen it reveal any traps, trapped objects or invisible creatures. Is it a bug, or I simply don't get its purpose?
    And once again about invisibility: when you speak with Magnus for the first time in the game being invisible, he says something about damn wizards and show yourself.. then, when you turn off invisibility - further dialogue is impossible.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I honestly don't know. Like you, I've never been able to get the spell to work like you'd think it would and quit trying to use it several years ago.

Edit: It seems to have been fixed. A little more experimenting left me with a PC who had 10 perception and 5 (untrained) in spot trap. I was able to find the traps just before I stepped on them and an invisable crusher was quite visable. So it does work.

Magnus & the invisability loop - I checked it out in both my hack and the stock game. When I got the same results, I forwarded this to Drog.

14. Omnuscraft

Omnuscraft New Member

First of all, let me start out by saying thanks, rroyo. You have revived an amazing game and given it so much.I've already read a few pages into this post, but it's so far all positive. I've only played about 2 hours of the game and browsed the new map. A few questions, if you don't mind.

Why was Cattan never put in the game to begin with? Why make an island and make it so you can't go there? Also, is the Seahold and the rest of the island not yet finished? Pretty obvious, I guess, but I thought i'd ask.

When do you plan to finish this project? How much more do you plan to add? Also, since the continent of Arcanum is somewhat small and there isn't a whole lot to do once you get set on finishing the main storyline, how hard would it be to say.........add another continent? Add more levels or make leveling slower? Give more point as you get higher in level?

More then a few questions, but some things I thought i'd ask. THank you for this wonderful addition to Arcanum and I hope there is more to come. :)

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Omnuscraft! And thanks for the compliments.

Let's see if I can answer a few of your questions.

Since I wasn't on the original build team, I can only guess that there were adventures intended for the island but they were dropped due to time constraints. As a result, all links to the island - if there ever was any - were removed. The same goes for that little island just west of Despair. You couldn't get there either.

Right. There's two towns, another plantation, a necropolis, an abandoned mine, and a pass that's still to be built and more or less tied in with each other. That's in addition to finishing Plainwicke.

I have no real deadline - other than how long I can resist the temptation to start another project I'm itching to try.....

As much as I can without being too repetitive. After all, how many old tombs would you really want to explore?

A real pain! It took a professional team two years to build and populate Arcanum, and I'm just a guy who has an hour or two a day to tinker around. And - Among other things, there's the little problem of not being able to make a world map for the new land or even realistically be able to get a modified main-game map to the players.
    However - I'll be trying to make some adventures available only after you return from the Void. That'll help some.

Make leveling slower - yep! I reset the leveing amounts to slow the level-ups to help maintain the game balance. The higher the level, the more points you'll need, and the more adventures you'll have to play.

Finally, yes, there is more to come.
    Now that I'm reasonably satisfied the reset effects level is stable, I'm going back to work on adding some new thieves' quests, followers, and then I'll probably start construction on either Brookside Plantation, or Freebooter Pass.

16. stylex

stylex Member

Ooh.I'm waiting for the returning from void.I always hated that stupid end...

17. Vorak

The Fireking Medallion changes art from the fire mastery medallion to a standard medallion when equipped.

[​IMG]

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

19. Vorak

Its possible to get all of the 'Arcane' items from Wise Women but the other lower grades (Charmed, Magic and Mystic) are gotten almost completely by dumb luck with random loot chest I noticed Harry Baules has Charmed Gauntlets in his store from time to time and was wondering if he stocks the other Charmed items and I just havn't seen them yet?

Would it be possible to make the complete Charmed, Magic and Mystic range of weapons, armour and jewelry items he can potetially stock? Since you can already get any Arcane item you want with ease it makes little sense to me that the stuff from the lower grades is almost impossible to obtain.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not really. Harry actually has a rather small inventory and it's a roughly 50/50 mix of neutral and magic items. The Charmed Gauntlets, a Dark Helm, Amulet of Leadership, and Amulet of Beauty are the most powerful of the replenishable items.

I am a bit reluctant to add so many magical items to his inventory (the sets you mentioned), so why don't I rework the magic vendors' inventories to increase the odds of getting the lower end stuff?

Our Host!