Gladys & Black Root Taxes

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by ghosts, Oct 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ghosts

ghosts New Member

I tried to search for help on this but didn't see any threads that weren't potentially spoilery!

I'm trying to get Gladys' ring back for her. I spoke to Archibald, then Bernard, and then I told Archibald that Gladys must be attracted to him. I read at another website that doing this would make Archibald give me the ring, but instead he just yelled at me to get out of his house. I told Gladys that I knew about her little game as well, but she denied it. How do I get the ring from Archibald?

There's also Black Root I'm having trouble with. The mayor wants me to get his ceremonial dagger or whatever it is, but I have zero information on these thieves. Is there someone I should speak to?

Thanks!

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

1 - you need to have some persuasion skill to talk sense into them.
    I think 2 ranks ought to be enough.
    2 - Look for then on the outskirts of the town and you'll eventually find them. They've even got a small camp.
    their camp is to the north of blackroot, there should be a path leading to it. Its near the place you can cross the river.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I believe you need to have at least some ranks in Persuasion to pull this off. What's your Charisma/Persuasion/Training?

The thieves are at the outskirts of the city, beyond the train station and over the river (there's no bridge, but you can walk through the shallow water).

Good luck!

4. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Ahh okay, thanks guys!! I don't think I have ANY persuasion yet, maybe one rank.

I've recently restarted the game, it's so hard to build up my skills! I usually wander around the map, hoping for a random fight ... any other tips for quicker leveling?

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, if you set the difficulty to Easy, you will gain experience at a quicker rate. Also, there's the Nietzsche Poster Child Background.

6. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Thanks!

Back to Black Root -- I got the dagger for the Mayor, but he still refuses to give me the taxes. Is there any way to still get them? Do I need more persuasion?

7. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

If I recall correctly, there are newspapers in Dernholm lying on the ground near the second hand shop that you could use to your advantage while persuading the stubborn mayor.

8. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Weird ... I remember the newspaper, I know I left it there on the ground, but it's no longer there. I tried giving myself two persuasion points, but still nothing. I guess I could try three?

I'm also working on getting the Siamese skulls to Matt de Cesare. I have zero information on this, except that they're in a warehouse somewhere ... do I just search all of them? What about the ones I can't get into? Virgil's lockpicking skills aren't that great yet!

Sorry for all these questions!

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    There are ways to persuade the mayor without having to fetch that dagger, that requires some Charisma and Persuasion skill + aforementiooned newspaper... but I've never encountered your problem. If you have the dagger, he should give you the taxes.

You haven't gone and pissed the mayor off have you? Or maybe you picked the wrong dialog option (when you return the dagger, you should remark that his Tarantian guards couldn't defend it from being stolen).

They're in a locked warehouse in Tarant. Use dynamite if you can't pick the lock, just see to it that there are no guards nearby when you blast the door.

10. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Beware of the things INSIDE the warehouse too. :D

11. Cooto3s

Cooto3s New Member

I usually just kill archibald. You might lose some alignment but hey, you'll get it back in no time. As for the taxes I've never had any problem gettings them from him with the dagger. Like Dark Elf said, you have to point out in the dialogue that his guards can't even protect him from pity thieves

12. ghosts

ghosts New Member

Haha, I know which one it is, then -- there's one warehouse where, if Virgil or Magnus get too close to the window, they're attacked by whatever's in there, and before I can get them away they die!

As for the mayor, I ended up getting the taxes. I didn't want to anger him before by saying the Tarantian guards couldn't help him, but I ended up picking his pocket and then that was my only dialogue option anyway. Now I'm just trying to get Praetor to tell me what his "internal matter" is so I can help him, but he did say to come back later so I will.

Thanks everyone!

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Ah, Nietzsche Poster Child. How much do I love that background? (Answer - fucking tons.) Nothing says 'pwned' more than a fireflash spell cast by someone who's about five levels higher than they ought to be at that point in the game.

14. ghosts

ghosts New Member

I'm starting to see what that feels like -- I just completed the BMC at nearly level 30. During my first run of the game I was slaughtered in there!

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    Best thing about it is that critical failures mean nothing to the pure mage. It almost feels like cheating really.

16. Vaz

Vaz New Member

Ghosts, Praetor won't tell you until you reach the point in the game that you have to go to Caledon.

17. Cooto3s

Cooto3s New Member

Preator quest spoiler:

Or if you pick up Ara's Medallion at razor's pointe. If you don't have drogs latest UAP that is

Our Host!