which character are you playing with?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarthCyruss, Oct 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

There is no emote to accurately portray my mix of confusion, wary interest and disgust at that mental image.

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Right now I'm playing the easiest character in existence the melee/dodge master.

Also trying to figure out how to make a powerful technomancer.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I'm playing a technological archer - the moment I finally assembled the pyrotechnic bow, the game got easier. Explosive arrows FTW.

4. Tubalcain Alambrah

Tubalcain Alambrah New Member

A Elf Magick/Melee
    Dark Elf Follower

And i'm a saint... :D
    No evil alignment... 8)

5. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

That's not hard. Any background (except Sold Your Soul) can be good, and frankly it's far bloody easier to be nice than nasty.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    A problem far too common in CRPG's. Personally, I've always favored the idea that evil should be rewarding, if nasty. The example I usually bring up is the endgame of Baldur's Gate 2, where you have the choice of saving a villain from death (good) or slaughtering him (evil). The good option results in a -1 penalty to Dexterity, whereas the evil option nets you an über sword at a terrible loss of reputation.

I guess that what I'm saying is that ideally, being good should be about personal sacrifice and making really tough decisions, not the only way to go if you ever want to reach the level cap.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Wait, are we talking about the tests in Hell at the end of Shadows of Amn? Man, Blackrazor was fucking sweet.

I like the test where the genie/djinn/demon/whatever the fuck it was (I haven't played for a while) kidnaps a member of your party. You have two paths you can go down to save them. The 'good' path steals some stats and experience from your character, the 'evil' path steals it from the kidnapped party member instead.

I could never go evil on that test. They always kidnapped Cernd and I adore that weird guy. (I know someone who can't go evil if Anomen gets kidnapped. Hell, I'd happily go the evil path if they kidnapped that mother-fucker instead. Some romance, guys. BLECK.)

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Anomen, couldn't be bothered taking him with me. He annoyed the hell out of me with his introduction and that was that. that.

If I remember correctly, the party I finished BG2 wth was composed of my elf archer, Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Nalia and Jan.

Ah, and BG2 romances... banging Aerie in the dungeons below Spellhold will always be one of my fondest gaming memories, if only because of her reaction when I slept with the Drow matron in the Underdark.

9. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Mwahahahahahaha! That must have been bloody classic. I could never tolerate Aerie long enough to actually try her romance. Jahiera is a bossy bitch and Viconia's romance was surprisingly sad. Anomen's.... hurt my brain. A lot. My poor Sorcerer. Apparently he's better if you get him to go CN, but I couldn't stand him that long.

Now, if you want fun romances, go trolling for NPC mods. You will not be sorry. I got the Edwin Romance mod a while back, and it's hysterical. Apparently if you're a guy you can fuck him when he's a girl, but I prefer to follow the romance and tease him about his sudden introduction to womanhood.

10. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

Hehe, I actually also mod for BG2. I can give you a general overview sites of all mods if you want too ;)

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've lost my BG2 discs, so I probably won't be playing it anytime soon. If I do though, I'll make sure that I download some of the romance mods. Remember installing "The Darkest Day" or whatever it was called that brought loads of extra kits to the game, must say that I was pleased with it.

Also, if I play BG2 again, I'll make it my #1 priority to find the artifact that changes gender.

12. Fromage

Fromage New Member

Cantcha pull that from the deck o' many things?

Anyway, I'm a gunner this run-through...I actually restarted my last character because I wanted to be a gunner with him but got side-tracked into melee.

As for backgrounds and race, I went with Halfling and Miracle Operation, which is kinda min/max-y, sure, but, well...meh.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Surely you mean acquiring it without physically removing anything from an inventory?

That's what we all do, no problem.

14. Fromage

Fromage New Member

Well I thought that one of the effects of the deck in ToB was a gender swap, but I just looked it up and I was dead wrong.

It's in the game f'sure though, I've certainly seen it, and in the very least if you are willing to put up with Edwin you can see its effects over the course of his subplot (though it's caused by a scroll in that case, if'n I'm not just plain wrong again, heh).

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    If I recall correctly, there's a helm that swaps the wearer's alignment to the opposite (so if you were Lawful Good before you turn Chaotic Evil etc) and a belt that swaps your gender.

So if you want Minsc to become a Lawful Evil Woman, by all means, go ahead.

16. The_Deathsangel

Actually it is possible with Wild Surges as well...
    Still TDD (the Darkest Day) is nowadays considered one of the less qualitive mods out there, sorry. There are many that add kits. BG2 modding community is very alive.
    However, isn't this totally side tracking?

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    This is nothing. We have a thread in the GD that sidetracked after the first reply. If people were judged solely by their forum behaviour, ADHD would be considered perfectly normal and the lack of it an anomaly.

18. Fromage

Fromage New Member

Yes.

I keep trying to start a mage and then just going back to tech about half-way through char creation. Digging through trash to make guns is just too nifty to pass up.

I might try next time to make a balanced thief-y sort...

19. The_Deathsangel

:lol: I actually am ADHD, though it depends on the day how much it shows. I have learned to keep it mostly under control.

Anyways, I always have several types of lives.
    * Half-Ogre Melee Fighter - finished
    * Evil Human Necro/Sum/Disintigrate Mage - finished
    * Dwarven Gunsman/Melee Fighter - finished
    * Gnome Inventor - Tulla (incredibly hard, I first did him without any weapons skills... he got too little xp, too much sidekicks and arachnids)

Lot of lives started between level 1 - 8, but interrupted as I want to try AWIP and UAP. So, I would need to restart all of them than anyway, so that is a bit of shame if I would continue and it would be in vain.

20. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

After my gnome alchoholic nymphomaniac destroyed the world, he realized his error of destroying Madam Lil's establishment after noticing that masturbation wasn't enough to fulfill his cronic addiction and he cast disintegrate down his throat. I'm now playing a male Only Child dwarf mage. I'm burning through fatigue slowers and fatigue restores like a compulsive crackhead let loose in Columbia. If it wasn't for my mage's staff (got 6 of them now), I'd pass out after teleporting...

Our Host!