Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hey Rroyo...do you think it would be possible to create an item that will automatically make an NPC "go agressive" and start attacking everyone in sight?

Like a "rage dart" or something...but whose use wouldn't register as an agressive action.

Imagine the fun you could have using this on certain missions to turn one enemy against his friends or even make people like The Mayor of Black Root or the King of Dernholm go ape-shit and attack his subjects.

Oh and bythe way...that weapon looks SUAVE man...I take it it uses arrows for ammo? I'd use it in a heartbeat!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The "rage dart" - I'll have to give that a cautious maybe. It would have to be scripted to trigger a 0 setting in reaction and change the faction and/or origin of the NPC at the same time.
    I know I'm still not good enough for such scripting.

The arbalest does use arrows for ammo, but the user animation is rifle.
    Can't have everything. Oh well.

BTW: Thank a fellow named T'e'MHbIu for the beautiful artwork.
    He's the same one who did the tech manuals.
    And another thanks to Thorn for the weapon and schematic prototypes.

3. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

OKay....well...here's hoping...I had idea the scripting was that intense.

Here are a few more wacky suggestions:

Stun Gun = SLOW ranged weapon (speed between 1 and 4) that Stuns target. Uses battery, not sure how many charges. Not sure what components either. Maybe Charged Accelerator Gun + Large Capacitor.

Stun Gun 2 = SLOW melee weapon. Stuns opponent. Maybe made from Metal Tube and Small Capacitor.

Flaming Sword = Balanced Sword + Kerosene (analogius to the charged and enevenomed blades). It might need some artwork to add a red tint to it. I may have suggested this before.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The Flaming Sword - I think you did mention it - and what's scary is I seem to recall seeing art at the Arcanumclub for just such a thing.

I'll have to check this out.

Edit: Found it. I was actually remembering a red-colored pyrotechnic sword. If I was a better artist I could change the lightning bolts into flames but since I'm not...

The other two are "wacky suggestions". :p

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well if you can get me the Art file for the sword I'd be willing to have a go at it!

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

7. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Wow, I have to say, well done. That's the nicest custom art I've ever seen imported into Arcanum.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Indeed! This T'e'MHbIu fellow really knows what he's doing when it comes to .art creation.
    (I'm a little more than slightly jealous...)

Update - 10/15/08 I'm starting the upload of 5.0.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Hey rroyo, thanx for reviving arcanum. I was trying to install it a year earlier than your release and was pissed at the fact that it wouldn't run on any system above W2k of which I had none :(

BTW: I haven't had time to read the Whole thread (got 7 pages in, lol) so I don't know if this' been asked.

1) will the 1024x768 mod work with A:WIP ?

2) how will the new release(5.0) have to be "installed" ? a complete new install or just overwriting the files needed?

Thanx again.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Hannibal!

I'll answer your questions in reverse order.

2) You started off by saying you couldn't get the stock game to run with "any system above W2k ". Well, I'm using a 1.6 ghz system running XP to build this, and several people have gotten Arcanum to work with Vista.

So the first step would be to get the stock, patched game working for you, then download the (pending) 5.0.exe into the Sierra/Arcanum folder, extract the files within, move the Arcanum.patch1 to the modules directory, double-click the cleancache.bat to reset the prototype inventory, and you should be good to go.

If you have A:WIP already installed and working, I'll be recommending the removal of all the existing elements - Arcanum5.dat, Arcanum.patch1, Arcanum.exe, and Drog'sCleanCache.bat; then install the new version rather than trying to simply overwrite, as there's always a possibility that a crucial bit of information won't be changed as needed.

1) I still haven't tested this for myself, but shouldn't be any problems.
    I'd suggest taking this in stages. Get my hack working, double-click the CleanCache, then add the 1024x768. You'll probably have to start a new game as the screen interface is a bit different and an existing save may not show the change.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

Thanx for the quick respo' rroyo.
    When I had ried to install it last, as said b4, over a year ago, i couldnt find any patches to run it on the systems I tried to.... it kept giving me video errors (I was using an xfx7600gt)... guess I just didn't look hard enough... sadly, cause Arcanum is one of the greats of its kind.

I have the origional cd's but haven't looked into it untill a day ago, something told me I should, lol. That's when I found the ULTIMA "edition" and in the info it said runs on any Win' versions.

my next question i guess would be, are you familiar with Ultima? and, if so, is it A:WIP that enables it to run on any machine?

just curious so I can know how I'm gonna have to install 5.0

as I read through I see that there are an extensive amount of expansions you've added as well as fixes.....All I can say is SWEET!!!! anything that will prolong the gameplay and story of this game is beyond great, and of course Genious.

I can hardly wait to start playing again (waiting for 5.0) as the last time I've played it was when it first came out, lol....almost lost a GF cause of the time I speant on it, lol... good ol' montreal days....

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I, personally, haven't heard of this Ultima edition, but if it'll run on any any version of Windows, then you should have no trouble - unless.....

Since you had a problem with a graphics card before, I'd say install Arcanum, add the 1.0.7.4 patch (available in the downloads), then start the stock game to take a look. If everything looks alright, then you should be good to go with my hack. Just follow the instructions.

After the hack is installed, and before you start the game again, use the Drog'sCleanCache.bat. This'll force the game to take a fresh inventory of what is supposed to be there and let the new stuff be usable.

Thank you. :)

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

14. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

YAY!!!!! 5.0 is out

I can play now, lol

thanx again Rroyo!!

Uummmm.........I "opened" a wooden object in the temple in shrouded hills and ended up on the isle of dispair......how in the world do you get off??
    :/ forgot to save, lol and I was WAY too low a lvl to fight anything there so I died...

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Oh, crap! There's always something I forget.
    I was location scouting in IOD and neglected to disable that cabinet.

I'm sorry to say but you'll have to start over.

Everyone: Do not use the cabinet in the lower right-hand corner of the Shrouded Hills temple! It will say Big Wooden Object. The one named Cabinet is safe though.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

I don't know if this' intentional or not either but I'm unable to access the "jail"section of Wolfe's cave..... it looks like there's a direct path from the first main chamber in the nw but it won't let me pass...

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

If I understand you correctly, you'll need to get past the wolves and bandits to get in there. There is direct route from the entrance.

Edit: The second possibility occured to me after I posted.
    I.B. Wolfe has the key for the jail section. One of the guards has another one you'll need.

18. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Foolish youngsters, disregarding the warnings of the elders, and heedlessly touching glowing objects.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Well Frigo, that was a couple threads ago.... :p

20. Hannibal

Hannibal New Member

I feel foolish alright, thanx rroyo,and sorry for posting such a little problem here...just thought there WAS a passage because I didn't see one "passing" the wolves, If I remember 9 years ago correctly, there's a trap door I believe.....Oh and Frigo....Foolish I can handle, but would you really consider a 25 year old a child.....on second thought, arent we ALL just small children in bigger bodies(and minds), lol.

Our Host!