HQ Sound Effects Mod *Released*

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been working on yet another Arcanum related project for some time. I believe I'm not the only one who was disappointed with weapons' sound effects in Arcanum, especially with guns and explosives' ones. They're just some generic booms and bangs, to be fair, and don't sound like real weapons at all. The mod I'm working on will be replacing sound effects for guns and explosives with high quality ones. So far, I have this:

Replaced sounds:
    -Generic handgun fire
    -Generic rifle fire
    -Generic explosion
    -Generic ricochet
    (That's pretty much everything Arcanum has by default.)

Added sounds:
    -Small explosion (Flash Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Stun Grenade, Knock Out Gas Grenade, Mustard Gas Grenade, Molotov Cocktail)
    -Shotgun fire (Shotgun, Elephant Gun, Hunting Rifle, Rifle, Rusted Rifle, Clarington Rifle, Large Bore Vendigrothian Rifle)
    -Sniper rifle fire (Looking Glass Rifle, Marksman Rifle)
    -Hand Cannon fire
    -Grenade Launcher fire

All of these sound effects (sans the sniper rifle and the grenade launcher) are demonstrated in this video. The PC is using a Hand Cannon, while Virgil has a Clarington Rifle, other guys have generic revolvers and there's also a guy with a Repeater Rifle. Notice the different explosion sounds as well.

In case you're wondering the sound effects have been pulled from Max Payne 2 and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, because these game have high quality sound libraries. Since there's no way I can record such quality sound effects myself, I have no choice but to borrow them from somewhere.

The mod is available as a separate pack (not really dependent on the UAP). It should be compatible with any version of the game, unless you already have mods that change weapon sounds and prototypes.

DOWNLOAD

Feel free to post your comments and suggestions.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Wow. That's great. Generic Arcanum sounds really aren't a masterpiece, especially that annoying sound when you miss and the bullet ricochets off a wall. Brr, I hate that one.

The Clarington rifle sounds great.

What are you going to do with the silenced revolver? Leave the restored sound or use one from another game? I didn't see you mentioning it anywhere in the post.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's the same at the moment.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I suppose that, by it's nature, the hushed revolver shouldn't really be loud.

I'd love to see you look at other sound effects too Drog, though I think the magick effects were SFX'd much better than the tech stuff.

5. Klaz

Klaz New Member

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

GOD I HOPE THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PUN

7. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

How about adding some effects to the inventory screen ? IIRC, sounds can be assigned to each category of items (for when you pick them up/drop them) - a long time ago I played around with this and it made a positive difference. I took sounds from quake1 and system shock 2 - plenty of strange noises there for different purposes.

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Please indulge my curiosity and write an example of this suggestion. :/

Drog, will you be doing some work on spell effect sounds? I just read the post krille left and I have to agree that Tempus Fugit and Summon Familiar sound effects really are too loud and annoying. So, if there's anything anyone could do, that wouldn't require ridiculous amounts of time, I think that a lot of people would be grateful for it. Just tone it down a bit. :D

9. krille

krille New Member

Drog, would you be able to put an "equalizer" on some of the less well thought out sound effects such as Tempus Fugit (continuously drenching the entire game in incredibly loud, highly annoying clockwork sounds)? That would be King!

In that case, I think Drog should put his efforts into extending the number of inventory slots instead. It should've been made scrollable, like chests, etc. It's not like running around with three sets of plate mail is realistic as it is. Besides, this game isn't about realism to begin with and I hate the way they always have to cram an inventory management mini-"game" into most every RPG just to piss you off. A complete waste of time and effort on the player, while breaking your concentration on what the game is really about: the roleplaying in and the possibilities of the immersive world of Arcanum.

10. Langolier

Langolier Member

When I used a sound mod in the past I usually just deleted the ricochet sounds. It sounds more natural to me when you only hear the sound of the gun firing, and not the bullet bouncing off stuff.

11. Em

Em New Member

I apologize for posting in a thread older than a week but i think it's better than opening a new one just to ask a question.
    So is there any progress on this mod ?You still intend to release it Drog?
    I used a mod for gun sounds from Dimension of Arcanum made by Otto Krupp if i'm not mistaken but i can't find it anymore since that site is dead .It was pretty good if i remember right it had real gun sounds it was much better than the ones in the game .
    Anyway thanks for the time put into these mods they really change the game for the better.

12. Em

Em New Member

I apologize for posting in a thread older than a week but i think it's better than opening a new one just to ask a question.
    So is there any progress on this mod ?You still intend to release it Drog?
    I used a mod for gun sounds from Dimension of Arcanum made by Otto Krupp if i'm not mistaken but i can't find it anymore since that site is dead .It was pretty good if i remember right it had real gun sounds it was much better than the ones in the game .
    Anyway thanks for the time put into these mods they really change the game for the better.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This will be released before Christmas, alongside the new version of the UAP.

14. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I think you can get Krupp's mod on this website, as well, if you're looking.

15. Em

Em New Member

Awesome ! Thanks a lot.I know there are some mods made by Otto Krupp here but the one I'm talking about isn't.
    Now I'm gonna get busy making yet another gunslinger and/or a grenadier :D

16. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm very much looking forward to this release. I plan on making my next character a technologist (having previously done an magickal character), so this is right up my alley.

This thread wasn't that old Em, don't worry about it. You had a valid question. I'm sorta depressed that people are so gun-shy about gravedigging here. It's either this or the other extreme, I guess.

17. ville-v

ville-v New Member

I recall people do not want threads they have already read to appear again so they ban everybody who posts in a topic that has started over 42 days ago or so.

18. Ramidel

Ramidel New Member

You mean it's not just there to give the forum regulars free flaming targets?

19. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

Sorry for asking, but are some of these gun sounds out of Counter-Strike/Half Life? They sound very familiar.

20. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

May I suggest you look at some sound mods for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? There are very many good sound mods for it, and since it's a guns game, you may find something interesting there.

Our Host!