New Arcanum Portraits

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DarkSentinel, Oct 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Hellboy fits nicely with the theme seeing as it's got a surprising amount of Steampunk technology thrown in despite the fact that it's supposed to be modern world.

2. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

Dark Elf your right, thats my impression of Hellboy as well.

Thanks rroyo! Finding the goggles to fit the right head and face position took a bit of effort. I thought it was funny to pop them right over his apendages :p

Just a few more I did today:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oger Male

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Orc Male

These two took quite a bit more photoshop then Hellboy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ANY

The last one here is another from Hellboy.

I worked up another Dwarf Male and Human Male (Guy Pearce from "The Time Machine"), which I'll add to the pack once I can create some Elves.
    Female Half Ogers and Half Orcs are going to be insane, I'm not sure if I should even attempt it.

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

The nazi-cyborg (whatever) shouldn't be a PC portrait.

4. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

Lets see what the others think. I have no problem making it NPC only.
    In my perspective I can't see why someone would not want to use it as a PC. Any masked portrait is viable in my opinion, as it allows you to use it for just about any race and sometimes gender.
    My only hesitation on using it for a PC would be because he looks quite the bad guy part. No hero like, even for the would-be types. Although, some of the character PC histories would fit this portrait.

I couldn't resist uploading this one:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Guy Pearce

I wish the character portraits in Arcanum where more prominent then they are.

5. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Too bad we don't have items to match the masked guy. :D

That would be one badass character.

Since you obviously have photoshop, I have to ask, why your elves don't have pointy ears? Liquify would do the trick...

6. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

Honestly I really didn't put much effort into them. I originally just made the pack for myself. But I decided to just share it. Since I play as a Human I paid more attention to them over the others. And I never even intended to make any more. Especially since Arcanum is a pretty old game now.
    Since you guys liked them so much, it motivated me to be a bit more ambitious with them. So maybe I can now go back to those Elves and fix them. It's not like there are a lot of them anyway.

About the clockwork villain, I would look at that portrait with fresh eyes. Not stick to what we saw in Hellboy. Just use the portrait as a portrait and create a new character or NPC around it. I can see him wielding two handguns.

Are users still producing custom adventures and maps for Arcanum?

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep! There's been a recent upsurge in interest and activity.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Who knows, when things calm down a bit and I get back to uni after this episode of forcing teenagers write poems about how much they hate autumn, I might even get started on project Tribute.

9. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

10. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

I just made another portrait using Ron Perlman as Hellboy. For this one I had to draw in most of the goggles by hand, and I changed the background. I shortened the process by just turning his horns into a brassy color and some touch up to make them the base of the goggles. The rest was the fun part of making the glass and brass ring.
    Of course, If I was going to keep the portrait at this size, I would have put in a lot more detail and effort. Most likely creating the goggles in Illustrator instead of Photoshop to make them spot on. I was so tempted to do more, and to be honest I probably did more then I should have with the goggles. But it was fun. Turning him green was just something for final rendering that no one would really notice. Anyway I think the finished, antiqued portrait came out good and that's the important thing.

Just for fun here's what I did:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All that, just for these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You know I think I'm going to hunt around for photos of Ron without the makeup. Probably from his role in Alien resurrection. I think he could be Ogery enough. This one is intended to be Half-Orc.

11. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

12. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

For me his role in Hellboy made me like him. He is just an incredible actor who is often overlooked. A lot of people are put off by his looks. But that gives him character. If it wasn't for Hellboy I would have never saw that other side of him, because the roles I've seen him play really don't show a lot of personality variations.
    Two other actors who don't get much recognition is Ed Harris and Ernie Hudson. Both are fantastic actors. If given the right roles they really stand out among others.
    But some great actors I like are Edward Norton, Bill Nighy, and Hugh Jackman.. although I don't think all Hugh Jackman's movies are based on premiere acting. I also think Mark Whalberg is pretty darn good.
    For me, people like Denzel Washington are over rated. His personality is the same in every movie and that's just boring.
    As for actresses, there really aren't many that I feel are truly great. But Mary Elisabeth Masterantonio, Gong Li, and Olivia Cheng have my vote.

There are actors and actresses I like watching but it doesn't really make them great at acting. Hugh Grant is hilariously charming and I love his movies but I haven't seen him do anything different that would really show off his acting variation.

13. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Yo, yo, Marky Mark is in da house! :lol:

Sorry, I just had to.

Ontopic: I like the last one, technologist half orc. 8)

14. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel New Member

LOL, I haven't heard him been called that for a loong time, :p.

I just made another bunch of portraits. But I have a few un-categorized that I'm going to post, hopefully you guys can help with that.

Right now these are the ones that I haven't made:

Female Half Orc
    Female half Oger
    Female Gnome

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I would just like to post in this thread to say that I totally support what DarkSentinel is doing here and hope to see more of it!

Maybe a complete pack perhaps!??!!?

16. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I've put the current pack in the download section. Great work, DarkSentinel !

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Really, it's stuff like this that truly marks down Arcanum as a true classic. When a game still manages to attract such attention nearly 8 years post release, you know that it's gaming done right.

18. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

Damn fucking right...it saved my marriage...fuck europe and their anal raping policy, they're all 2nd world dream humpers. Fuck the 1st world, and second, and third! Give me a game I can play.
    Oh.....I got too humped up about...So sorry...

19. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

The first should be a Half-Orc, not sure about the 2nd, and I don't think the 3rd or 4th really fit Arcanum

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These are ugly. They're just random pictures of comic book heroes with sepia filter added, to make them look "cool and original".

I've just spent a few minutes looking for portrait paintings on Google Images, and here are two examples. I've cut and cleaned them up in Photoshop and here are the results:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Our Host!