legal download of Arcanum available?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayster42, Aug 16, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

He claims that his academic progression in physics makes him intellectually greater in the field of physics than people who lack such a progression. But this forum isn't the field of physics.

I'm saying don't go around saying that your progression in physics makes you universally more intelligent than people who lack such a progression. It's very condescending, and frankly, It's a cheap shot. I could just pull out the old "I'm a professer of theoretical physics" to trump you.

In the Internet, use arguments to fortify your cause, not IRL labels of achievement.

I'm sure you're a great guy IRL, and this whole situation was probably just an unfortunate event.

2. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

When did I say that? Quotes, please.

3. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

4. Shota Shernokavich

Yes. That was a direct remark I said towards that chick i was arguing with. I never said that i was intellectually superior to everyone on this board.

5. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Well you must understand that you were basically stating that your intelligence, period, is greater than others who lack a degree in physics. Otherwise, wouldn't it be valid for anyone to challenge your intelligence, even if they didn't possess a degree in physics?

You stated that the words of a person who lacked a degree in physics mean nothing to you, all this in the context of the subject of intelligence.

Would you ever say such a thing to someone IRL?

6. Shota Shernokavich

It depends. If I was spoken that rudely to in RL as I was in this thread, then yes I probably would.

7. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Well, I hope you can just understand that although this thread was very chaotic, that particular argument you posted to back up the defense of your intelligence may have been just a little bit cheap.

I mean, anyone can make up any shit about their real lives; like I could say that I'm a professor in theoretical physics, and I worked on CERN.

The fact is, even if you do in fact possess a degree in physics, it doesn't necessarily mean that your understanding of physics will pass on to your overall intelligence and correctness in this situation.

If you are in fact so intelligent and/or correct in this situation, then why not prove so using arguments rather than stating your degrees?

Prove that you're right by showing that you're right rather than by making cheap claims.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Hey Shota, The best thing that you can do now is, show us your decree, and then perhaps we shall believe you.

Also I have an another advice for you Shota : Don't make yourself more interesting then you really are.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

To each his own - but wouldn't you rather see his degree?

10. Shota Shernokavich

I'll take your advice to heart, Arthgon.

that was my initial argument. Instead of directly replying to me, she gave me these long shakespearean paragraphs about 'fitting in'.

i don't see why i should have kept giving serious arguments when all she gave me were colorful little speeches about random crap that has nothing to do with the discussion.

11. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Wait, why are you still here Shota?

Didn't you just say goodbye?

Doesn't that mean that you should leave?

Why can't he just leave or stop arguing, or commit suicide, or anything that prevents him from posting really?

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

After you started the shit, boy. Remember, I made a joke and YOU took it too seriously.

As for the length of my posts... well, I admit I get wordy when I'm pissed off. It's a side effect of writing for a living. (If you can call the pittance I get a living. Being a writer can really suck sometimes.)

So let's just call this whole stupid thing over and done with (now I've had time to calm down after those cracks anyways), lock this fucking thread, and get on with our lives.

13. Arthgon

Okay, listen very carefully, I shall only tell it once...She really tried to reason with you, but you kept on nagging. So don't even go there.

Edit: I really must try to type faster.

14. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Ok, is everyone cool with that proposal?

15. Shota Shernokavich

i said good bye to xiao, not the thread. btw you = doomed.

fine.

No kidding?

16. Arthgon

Okay, I agree.

17. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Cool.

Please stop posting everyone. If the next Admin in here would be so kind as to lock this off, we'll be on our merry way.

18. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!