Arcanum 2 Total Conversion pt 2 - Project Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Saturday, Sep 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Saturday

Saturday New Member

Hi to all !

Pleased to meet you - I'm Saturday, a fan of Steampunk setting and a fellow fan of CRPG's, namely Arcanum and Fallout games.

I took the privilege to start a separate thread for this project of sorts.

Here I set up a separate blog http://projectarcanum.blogspot.com/

The idea behind it is to start working on a fanbase-driven sequel to the first Arcanum game.

And most important - to do it in a sort of orderly way: to keep records of all the steps taken and notes and what-not so that (as it is pretty common with projects like this one) as previous participants tire or (as someone pointed out in the previous thread) gets a life/job/girlfriend etc and work on the project comes to a halt, it wouldn't die, but somebody else at a later date and time could pick up the pieces where they fell and continue without much fuss.

There - I put it into words. For starters we need cannon fodder - willing minds with fingers attatched to help with the draft for a sketch of a game.

The Engine question is still open. There's an open poll on the aforementioned blog. I voted for Source. If you're for it or against it, say so and say why. There was a total conversion mod in the works called Hull Breach - it blew my mind away. It's a pity it got shelved - the progress and detail was - as I already said it - mindblowing.

---

To tell the truth I think we should start from the actual concept of the game - outline the story, work out the mechanics and get some conceptual art on the web for some eye-candy to lure the modding communities.

Now I've been thinking about the storyline for the game. In the other thread it was discussed that we might make a prequel to Arcanum. Pick a legend and act it out.

My idea for the main storyline right now is that we'd pick one of the legends:
    The PC would team up with a to-be-famous protagonist, but actually all the work and heroics would be acted out by the PC. He would be the hero/anti-hero. In the end the wimp-to-be-famous protagonist betrays the PC and claims the fame/infamy all to himself.

I read the back of a paperback book at a bookstore once. Was it Moorcock ? Can't remember. It was about a guy who traveled back in time and found a cripple and idiot who happened to be Jesus himself. Eventually the guy had to do all the acts the God's Son is famous for today - walk on water, turn water to wine, heal the blind etc. I guess my idea has it's roots in that afternoon I spent at the bookstore.

Cheers,

- Sat

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Good luck with that. You're not the first to try, but if progress is made, keep us updated.

3. Saturday

Saturday New Member

Thank you for the encouragement, Dark Elf :)

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If I were you, I'd put up a proper site with a forum, a screenshot gallery and regular newsposts. Also, establish a presence at a few choice forums, such as the Codex. That way, you stand a better chance of attracting the talent you need, and hopefully the encouragement to keep going.

We've had quite a few instances of people claiming that the release of their Arcanum 2 mod was just over the bend, but Charlatan's that they were, never backed up their claims with any substance. It would be wise if you didn't fall into the same trap as they.

5. Saturday

Saturday New Member

thanks man, ill keep it in mind

- Sat

6. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

So far, 2/3 of us are Irish. It's your turn to join the project, wayne-scales!

7. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

8. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

The dude going to Cork, remember? Ok, his genetics may not be Irish, but it's all about where the base of operations will be situated, ain't it? B)

9. wayne-scales

No.

10. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

No, as in...?

11. wayne-scales

As in no!

12. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

I mean: do you mean you don't recall his existence, or that I'm incorect about my "base of operations" joke?

13. wayne-scales

14. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Oh, is he just visiting? Lol, I thought he was moving to work there or something.

15. wayne-scales

Oh, maybe he is, sorry.

16. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

No, I'm actually not sure; I don't recall him stating either.

17. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

GarmGarf, could you please take your thread-derailing ass somewhere else ?

18. xfewagainstmanyx

xfewagainstmanyx New Member

Oi lads!
    Well, yes indeed Garmgarf I'm in Ireland for a whole year, I've been in Cork for 2 weeks now, it's been somewhat difficult to settle in, not mentionning that I've been drunk every night ever since I was here.
    Now, regarding the project, I guess I've got a lot of catching up to do.
    But it's so cool here like!

19. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Lol, yep, that sounds like Ireland!

Say hello to the Blizzard Entertainment office in cork for me; thanks!

20. Fromage

Fromage New Member

I can't say I'm in love with the prequel idea.

I always thought it'd be pretty cool to fast forward a tad, put the next Arcanum in the modern era (mid-20th century, world-war IIish), then really push a magic resurgence plot, one that would allow the player to choose sides (not simply between magick and tech, but between nations as well).

I'm mid-game at the moment and it's been a long time since I've played so I'm not 100% on the nations or the meta-plot yet, but basically you'd have two tech sides battling it out, with the more magickal nations now essentially colonies annexed by one side or the other. At char creation you could choose not only your race but also your hometown, each offering different backgrounds. You could then choose to stay in that town/nation and work toward their goals (or simply try and further your own goals such as becoming rich or powerful) or move on to another nation that better fit your ideals.

This is ridiculously ambitious and I have no idea what is even possible in an Arcanum mod (even a total convert) but hey, if you're gonna wish, wish big, eh?

Our Host!