The Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Xiao_Caity, Sep 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I thought it would be kinda cool to make some challenge characters for other people to run through Arcanum with.

* An Elf or Half-Elf, male or female. No ranks in any combat skill (not even dodge or firearms), may only take spells/schematics that either heal, buff or weaken. If they have to take an attack ability to get to a buff, then the attack ability may never be used.

I ran though the game with this character, talk about a whole new challenge...

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I'll top that challenge:

A dwarf, doing the same. Now that's hardcore.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Dude, the idea is for difficult challenges, not impossible ones. :p

4. The_Deathsangel

The_Deathsangel New Member

I have a gnome with hardly combat and only making stuff in technology... problem is you get too little xp to go up enough levels...

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well.....back in the day when the Spell Permanancy trick worked...I made a halfling that specialized in Mental and META Magic and limited myself to NO PHYSICAL combat.

I had to useSogg and Stun to get through the initial part of the game in one piece. But when I got to dominate Will and Reflection shield I thought I was home free.

However, due to my poor character planning, I never invested a lot on Fatigue points...thus by the time I perma-possesed somoene...I had only the faintest sliver of fatigue points. And since I usually forgot to carry potions, either my possesed friend won the fight or I was a goner.

With the corrections made in the patches, the same could still be done with onlt the Mental spells, with the possession being temporary, which would require you put "put them down" afterwards.

You know I might actually try that...and carry around anesthitizer, poison, paralysis, and maybe one follower to finish the job.

Of course, while possesed I'd have to make sure I disarmed them or did something cheap like make them walk into fire or punch out a door to make them damage themeselves...

Hey...now that sounds like fun....*makes mental note*

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

A necromancer summoning zombies, skeletons and whatnot, and trying not to hit enemies directly. Using the magic mod.

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Mweheheheh. I just thought of another one.

Get through the game killing as few foes as possible. You need to talk, lie, cheat, stun or steal your way through things instead. (Because of their natures, I'll be nice and say you don't have to count the BMC mines or the Void in this tally, because they both suck in that you cannot possibly avoid most of the fights there.)

8. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Invisibility, prowling...

9. Wolfsbane

No game, too easy! A challenge should be challenging, not modestly difficult.

10. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Start with Raised by monks, and only use what you find. No selling is permitted either. Any money you find is left. All old items are discarded.

11. Wolfsbane

I like this one. I really do. I think I'm going to try it out.

12. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Thank-you. I have been toying with using this for awhile but never did. Like you I think I will use this next. Starting now.

The big question is are you going mage or tech. If you go mage you will have to identify your own stuff, which means no good armour until you get the spell.

With tech at least you can kill for or steal some descent chainmail later in the game.

I suppose you could really make this fun by not stealing or killing to get stuff.

13. Wolfsbane

I'm going good mage. I'll never kill innocents, and I'll stick to healing, meta and divination. I think I'll stick to Virgil as my only follower.

14. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

So what will you use for combat? Harm I am assumming. I have decided to go with meele and some followers, Dog, Sogg, Virgil and Magnus. At least with Magnus I can get the balanced sword if I find a fine hilt and guard somewhere. Plus the feather-wieght axe shouldn't be an issue either.

I figure with crap for weapons and armour more people will be the key.

Also, I am pretty sure that training costs money, but if anyone knows where to get free training please let me know. I will look for myself though.

15. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Here are few more possibilities:

- Curse is Worse:

Wear only cursed items...good luck with that :p

- Cheap Bstard:

Wear only the cheapest possible rustic apparel and only wield rusty weapons througout the entire game. Use your stats as you like.

- The Power of Nudity:

You cannot wear any armor whatsoever save for things that are absolutely comnpulsory for quests. Plus you only fight with your hands. On the plus side, you can use the first level spells of every magic school.

- Ogre Like Rock

This one has been talked baout before. You pump up a very strong Half Ogre with good throwing skills and THROW things at your enemies. No not not thrown weapons like Boomerangs and Chakrams...you THROW stuff...ore...plates...swords...axes...etc..junk. Do this until you get to some place like Ashbury and have enough strength to carry that Large Rock around and then just use that.

16. Wolfsbane

Training ALWAYS costs money. There are no exceptions.

17. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

That's what I thought, but I had to ask.

I suppose if I really want to role play the Monks idea, weapons would be classed as material possesions and could not be used.

I think I shall go with a mage/monk and try hand to hand, IE disarm, strength, shield of protection, hands of stone, plus other support magic. Wearing only robes, plus the boots from the character build shop.

Followers will be allowed, but only with found items.

18. Wolfsbane

Don't use boots. Bare feet are way cooler.

19. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Wolfsbane: I am curious as to your combat style.

I find using harm rather usefull but is getting a little boring.

20. Wolfsbane

I never really got to playing much last night, so I'm still considering the alternatives. Harm just doesn't do it. I thought about putting cps into summoning, but I'm not sure that's fitting for a good monk character.

Our Host!