Therapeutics any good?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by GigurBim, Aug 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

What are your experiences with Therapeutics?

2. elreicht

elreicht New Member

I guess therapeutics is good to substitute for buffing spells. I personally only encountered this when I had Jayna Stiles on my party. But I didn't ask her to make a lot of stuff under therapeutics. What I hate about it is that sometimes the potions are too big to fit in the inventory. :/ But herbology rocks though...

3. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Instead of posting a new topic for every thought that pops into your head regarding the game, please do one of the two following:

1 - Simply bump your Questions and Curiosities thread with your latest question.

OR

2 - Try it out yourself and find the answer through your own research.

9 out of the first 12 non-stickies in this sub forum are started by you. Dark Elf already warned you in a previous thread of yours to reduce the help topics you're creating so if you don't want a ban I'd suggest listening to him (I think he's a moderator).

4. DonThrogg

DonThrogg New Member

You sure are full of questions, about therapeutics I've used it once and it's pretty good, but as elreicht said some potions are big and take lots of space.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

My take on Therapeutics is this:

I never found much need for the effects they provide unless I was playing more of a hank n slash character and needed a bit of persuaion early on.

THings like Energizer, Mind Marvel, etc. never really did much for me.

HOWEVER....there are two cross-discipline items that I've found to be very interesting that stem off Therapeutics:

- Brain Builder: Which raises mental attributes like intelligence, at the expense of physical atributes like dexterity and strength.

- Muscle Builder: Which does the opposite of BB, raising strength, dex, con at teh expense of intelligence and stuff.

There are handy if you're laying a straight up character and want to handicap your enemy before the fight.

Example: use BB on Garrick stout before you fight him for Melee mastery.

use MB on the tulla mages if you want to hit a killing spree.

Not sure if they affect a guy like Stringy Pete mind you...

6. elreicht

elreicht New Member

That's terribly clever of you, FourHorsemen. I never thought of using those to handicap an enemy. :-o I've only thought of using pots to boost myself... That's a great way to utilize buffing pots with nega effects.:thumbup:

7. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

I've never used Therapeutics in the single player campaign, but one of my multiplayer characters got all the degrees. As far as I can tell, a technologist gets quite a lot of attribute points for a rather low amount of CPs. 7 points for all degrees gives six drugs that all last 4 hours, and are all stackable with each other. That's +6 DX, ST and PE, and +4 to the rest of the attributes. But I suppose it might be boring to have to juggle all those ingredients and potions and shop for them and such. But 38 points to attributes and +2 ranks to Persuade for only 7 CPs, that's not bad. And then you can still use magick to boost DX or ST to max.

Just have followers carry the ingredients around, while you keep the potions out of their hands. Unless you want them to also get super powers. Then you get even bigger bang for your points.

8. elreicht

elreicht New Member

Just a question though, won't their magical aptitude lessen or negate the effects of MB?

9. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

The reason that I never found Therapeutics to be useful, or any stat raising things for that matter, is that Arcanum is a terribly easy game to begin with. You don't really need the extra buffs. I wish someone would make a mod that really buffs up Arcanum in difficulty.

10. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Yes, almost like Hard Arcanum. Or maybe they should incorporate a car into it.

11. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Well sorry for not knowing about every single mod out there =/

I needa check this mod out, though :D

12. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

13. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

14. GigurBim

GigurBim New Member

Well when you put it that way, i think im gonna do therapeutics doctorate lol

On a side note, what happens when you recruit new followers while CHA is temporarily increased? Does the follower stay in party when the effect wears off?

15. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

That...I'm not sure of...but the loss on intelligence should at least limit the number of spells they can maintain..and perhaps even prevent them...I'll have to test that out....

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i dun find therapeutics very useful....hrbology,electricty and explosives are good.

btw....what is harder in car arcanum?

Our Host!