Headgear and Perception

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by FourHorsemen, Jul 31, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

This is something that has bothered me for a while.

While I can accept that most helmets, due to the presense of a visor or face covering or even the mettal hing over the nose would cause some level of visual imparment...

How could either the cone shaped helmet (one the cheap ones you can find at most smithys)...with nothing jutting out or over it's rim...cause a -1 perception penalty...I mean...call it nit-picky...but surely the penalty could have been set aside for this particular item.

Same goes for th Top Hat and Chapeau....come on...don't tell me "the rim" gets in the way of the line of sight?

I suppose the same would also apply to white bandana from Cynthia Boggs...althought I'm not sure it ahs a penatly nor that it would be worth earing anyway.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Think of top hat or cap...its edge will cover the sun so you don't see it...and that's why you dun see everywhere(u dun see sun or a part of heaven)...it makes your visual sight range a little bit smaller...and if u still dun understand,then well...it just is that way.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Top Hat and the Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion don't have the PE penalty.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Well, a conical helmet is a rather heavy piece of armour and I would suppose that the sheer annoyance you'd get from wearing one would take a toll on your perceptive faculties.

The bandana I've never been able to understand, unless you tie it so loosely that it repeatedly falls down over your eyes.

5. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

I can accept that for any helmet that has an overhanging rin that jutt out. But the one I'm talking about looks like an iron version of a wool hood you'd wear during winter.

Cool...well that's one less thing

Lol...we need an Annoying Helmet object then :p

Or sotightly that it cuts some of the oxygen to the brain :p

But seriously...how difficult would this be to correct in terms of coding?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The headband is a unique item (not a proto). For whatever reason they based it on a helmet, so it has the same stats. It really should be like the Top Hat though, i.e. no bonuses nor penalties.

The helmets on the other hand have their penalties just because they're helmets, I don't think the developers wanted to make any exceptions based on the design of a particular helmet. If you're nitpicking, you may as well want different PE penalties for helmets with different designs. It would affect the balance as well.

7. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Bandanna? I don't I remember every finding one in the 4 Arcanum play-throughs I've done?

8. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I think the bandana in reference is the one given to you by the chick on the Isle of Despair when you have to go to the women's camp.

9. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Yep.

10. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Hmmm...that's a hell of a thought...know of any place where I could get a name and image list of all the different helmets? I'd love to write up a minor "thesis" on the matter :p

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm still puzzled as to how a headband could somehow render men indistinguishable from womankind.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This headband is an item which shows that your "in their clan"...So they won't attack you...cuz if u wear it,your in their team

13. team a

team a New Member

I think the headband is supposed to be symbolic, like carrying a white flag. And I did notice that it's just a helmet with different art... it really should be like the top hat. No PE penalty, and no armor bonuses, just the scripting effect. The description might also reflect this - what surprises me is that Troika didn't use the "print line" script action (like on Bates' ring) to explain what it does.

Considering that basic helmets have the same stats and are easy to find, and the bandanna shouldn't even be used except on the IOD, setting it to no stat changes shouldn't affect balancing.

Our Host!