Vampire background help

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Strife502, Aug 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Strife502

Strife502 New Member

Ok, so after an exhaustive search of these forums, and reading the custom backgrounds guide I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm attempting to create a vampire background where both day/night and inside/outside affect the character, (much like day/night/sky etc mage). I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where all these things are referenced, as they all point to 342 in effect.mes ({342}{} // INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK! Used for effects that are handled by the engine, but need an effect number).

I'm probably missing something very obvious, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for using these conditionals in my own background it'd be great ^_^

Thanks!

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but I think it meant that things like day/night/sky etc mage are hardcoded.

3. Strife502

Strife502 New Member

ahh... after seeing this thread it seemed that it was possible, just no one said how to go about it...

4. team a

team a New Member

I believe that these scripting ideas are just hypothetical.

The reason that 343 is used is because there are no effects determined by effect.mes, only by the game engine. You could have both the game engine AND use a different line than 343 (at least I think so), but you can't get at the engine so easily. Only a few people have done work on the engine, and Drog is the only one I've seen around, and who is pretty experienced.

I'm not sure where these in-engine effects are determined, but I think it might have been by which script corresponds to one of the line numbers in the background mes files (I'd guess backgrnd.mes). So, you can't add effects like the educator background, which teaches your followers training, without actually overwriting or editing that background.

5. Strife502

Strife502 New Member

Hm, that makes sense yea... guess they were just hypothetical then :( Will muck around a bit more and then give up and try something else~

Our Host!