MOB files help

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by DDTerr, Jul 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Hello,

I've found several incorrect (unknown/known) description codes defined for NPCs - eg. for Human Villager in Czech language we have different words for male/female gender but English Arcanum uses the same strings so there are many errors not noticeable in English version - and now I'm trying to correct it in WorldEd: I find the NPC, rightclick on it, make a note of ID code for NPC (eg. G_012A45...) choose edit and correct the description code (string). In Tarant there were aprox. 15 errors regarding descriptions. I click on the "save" button. Then, when I compared both directories (unpacked original Arcanum and modified one after saving of changes) there is about 2000 modified MOB files ... why? I expected only 15 modified MOB files. Should I include all 2000 files in my patch? Or only those 15 MOB files? I am confused why WorldEd changed so many files on main Arcanum map.....

Can anybody help me?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right-click on the edited NPC, then click on its guide code (G_....), it will be copied to clipboard. Then just make a search for a mobile with the same name and include it in your patch. WorldEd just updates mobiles in all affected sectors when you save a map, even if there's no changes.

Oh, one more thing, that should be useful for you project. Many translators don't know about one peculiarity of Arcanum, I even heard that the official German version had this bug. Anyway, the critters' proto tables (npc.txt, monster.txt and unique.txt) should use the same strings as the ones used in stat.mes and spell.mes, thus if you translate "Strength" to "XXX", then you should replace "Strength" with "XXX" in proto tables, or critters won't generate correctly. If it's not done, you will have monsters with 8 for each stat and no spells, and all humanoid races won't generate correctly as well, e.g. orcs in random encounters will look like humans.

3. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Thanks Drog:)

I'm happy I can use only those 15 modified MOB files ... I wanted to create a utility to check and correct those wrong description codes (to change known/unknown strings according to gender variable) but I wasn't able to hack the MOB format and to find out the proper positions (offsets) for them in MOB files. Probably they vary. It could have been an elegant and very fast way to correct all the wrong strings. But now the possibility is gone and I have to click in WorldEd on all the NPCs in the game and correct them manually. Urgggh!

I will check the synchronicity of translated words in mentioned files, thanks for this hint.

Drog, what is the purpose of those two sets of critters's proto tables (npc.txt, monster.txt and unique.txt) in your patch? The Arcanum5.dat and Arcanum6.dat versions differ a little. I unpacked all the main and module dat files to "work folder" for WorldEd editing overwriting smaller numbered dat files by higher ones. Should it be that way? Is it a correct way of unpacking?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mobiles contain only changes from prototypes they're based on. So let's say you create a sword in WorldEd, and increase its damage. The resulting mobile will have only the damage section. Thus, offsets are almost always different.

Arcanum6.dat contains fixes that get around engine limitations. Those are:

-Added skills to creatures prototypes via #13 (enter combat) and #19 (heartbeat) scripts // Proto critters can't have any skills on their own
    -Fixed problems with Dweomer Shield and Reflection Shield making Mind Controlled creatures permanent followers // The flags used in these two spells have a glitch that makes many maintainable spells permanent, I've blocked the most serious exploit: permanent followers
    -Palette fixes for summoned monsters. (Summon Undead, Phantasmal Fiend, Hellgate, Summon Familiar) // When the game summons a creature via a spell, the creature uses a default palette. I've added an extra line to the spells, it refreshes art

I moved them to a separate archive just in hope that the engine can be fixed. Some day.

For your project just use files from arcanum6.dat, the fixes are essential anyway, especially the skills' fix.

5. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

I'm looking at those files now and have more questions:

Do you mean all the stat and spell strings? Or also descriptions after // ? Or more strings? I'm confused :-(

The bad thing is that our Czech version dated from 2002 (and translated by Birdman as replacement of English 1074 version) used only translated DLG and MES files plus redrawn graphics, nothing more. We used original English TXT files (or the ones from your patch now). It means we played the game with bugs? All those 6 years? Ohhh, it is terrible ... you must be joking ... I don't want to believe it ... but if YOU say it .... ohhh ... back to work:

Example from NPC.TXT (bold text is mine, do you mean these strings?):

Description: 17311 // Half Elf Bounty Hunter
    Internal Name: 6400
    Level: 20
    Basic Stat: Gender 1
    Basic Stat: Race 3
    Basic Stat: Strength 10
    Basic Stat: Intelligence 10
    Basic Stat: Dexterity 18
    Basic Stat: Perception 12
    Basic Stat: Beauty 12
    Basic Stat: Constitution 14
    Basic Stat: Willpower 18
    Spell: Jolt
    Spell: Bolt of Lightning
    Spell: Orcish Champion
    Spell: Congeal Time
    Alignment: 0
    Faction: 0
    AI Packet: 0
    Material: 4
    Hit Points: 70
    Script: 13 03205 0 0 0 0
    Script: 19 03008 0 0 0 0
    Script: 9 03009 0 0 0 0
    Sound Bank: 80
    Portrait: 1010
    Retail Price Multiplier: 300
    Social Class: 10
    Inventory Source: 96

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can always check if you're in doubt. Just put some critters in WorldEd. If they all have 8 for each stat and no spells, and all humanoid races look like humans, then I'm right.

Yes.

Other ones are stored in the engine, so you don't need to translate them:
    Code:
    Category
    Auto Level Scheme
    Object Flag
    Social Class
    Retail Price Multiplier
    Inventory Source
    Sound Bank
    Fatigue Damage
    Fire Damage
    Electrical Damage
    Poison Damage
    Normal Damage
    Magic Resistance
    Poison Resistance
    Electrical Resistance
    Fire Resistance
    Damage Resistance
    Hit Points
    Material
    AI Packet
    Faction
    Basic Stat
    Hit Chart
    Spell Flag
    Blit Flag
    NPC Flag
    Critter2 Flag
    Critter Flag
    Alignment
    Scale
    Art Number and Palette
    Internal Name
    I don't remember what's the deal with "Level" though, check it, if your creatures are all 1 lvl, then translate it, as well.

7. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

And maybe also the following strings?

basic stat: tech points 70

Basic Stat: magick points 30

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Of course, they're stats.

9. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Hi Drog,

I've corrected our Czech Arcanum according to your hint and also recommended to all to clear map and proto caches, then to install our patch and start a new game. I hope it will work also with your 1024x768 version installed before our patch.

When I was testing the critters and NPCs in WorldEd, it worked as you supposed: without those necessary changes there was some critters without spells or with wrong ones and with default stats. After translation of the strings in those three txt files everything seems to work fine.

"Level" is not needed to translate, it is a keyword before ":" and is recognized by main exe correctly.

And one more thing: Arcanum.PATCH2 is present in both mods: UAPEXP and also in 1024x768 mod. Are the mods compatible?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Glad to see you got it working.

I forgot about this one, it seems. Just rename the 'patch2' file from the 1024x768 mod to 'patch3'.

Our Host!