Questions about some textfiles

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Lexx, Jul 22, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lexx

Lexx New Member

Hello, I am new in here. :)

I have some questions about some textfiles. I translated Drog's patch into german but now after testing it a while, still found some not translated files.

The first and imporant thing is: In the character screen, everything about the magic skills is still in english and I don't know why. I searched the files from Drog's patch, but couldn't find anything that maybe could help me.

Did I missed something?

I also couldn't find anything about the text in the main menu. New game, save, load, and so on. Are the text strings in the arcanum.exe?

There are also some other guys ingame, who are talking still in english and I can not find the textfiles. I don't have screenshots from them in this moment, but I will post them later.

So, for the moment.. can someone help me?

Greetings,
    Lexx

2. DDTerr

DDTerr New Member

Hi Lexx,

I work on Czech unofficial patch for Arcanum http://www.volny.cz/ddterr
    and can help you with your problem. Many years ago one Czech guy called Birdman translated whole Arcanum to Czech language and with a little help from his friends also translated and updated all the graphics and fonts and encoded subtitles into the videos. Fantastic work!

Now I'm trying to implement all bugfixes, restored graphics etc into his Czech version (can be called mod?). I work with UNPACKED game - it means you have to unpack all files from original DAT files (installed from Arcanum CD plus latest official patch for your version of game and your language) to proper folders. First start with a dat file with the smalest number and continue to higher numbers, confirming overwrite. I used DATBuilder utility for this task. You can find it in Download section of this site. Be careful to unpack both main game DAT files and also Arcanum module DAT and PATCH files to their folders.
    THEN unpack the DAT files from Drog's patch, but to different folders (eg. Drog\data and Drog\module).
    Then you can use WinMerge (www.winmerge.org) or similar software to compare directories and files and find out which files are different and which are missing. You need the missing DLG and MES files - they are not present in Drog's patch and should be translated into your language.

I hope it will help you in some way, I used similar approach and it seems to work good in Czech language.

3. team a

team a New Member

Welcome, Lexx!

I'm not sure why those items are appearing in English in your German version. I would guess that DBT has included the official patch (1.0.7.4) in English as part of his installer, because the unofficial patch wouldn't work without it. Or, you might simply have downloaded the 1.0.7.4 patch in English yourself, which is probably more likely. The 1.0.7.4 patch contains files in the MES folder that affect the text of the main menu and spells, among other things.

If you are looking for other files, I will try to help out with those as well.

4. Lexx

Lexx New Member

Thanks for the answers. :)

I thought about the 1.0.7.4 patch too, but haven't had the time to check the files. I think, I should do this next, because I can not find anything related to this in Drog's patch.

Our Host!