New Spells

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Vorak, Oct 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

A book in the Tulla library says that each colledge of magic once contained 8 spells. So you may be able to learn these.

However my main idea is that new spells be introduced that you can enchant into items. I am not suggesting new colleges, just new spells. Spells can exist outside of the 16 colleges as is evidenced by scrolls of exiting or the banishment spell. However as you would not be able to sellect these spells from the regular menu I suggest that you must enchant items ie. a mage's staff with these spells. These spells would however be dependent upon your own mana stores, not an internal mana store of the enchanted item.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, that would be a good idea.

Maybe we could stretch this a bit. What if the scrolls you find were made back then when there were more spells in the magick colleges? Like, the 6th level spell in all colleges was an enchantment to be put on an item of your choice.

Stealing an idea from D&D, enchanting items could cost xp/money and a great deal of mana, but wouldn't require anything once done.

So, with the Conveyance college, you could make scrolls of exiting, but also things like Boots of Travel (increases Con).

Tempus Fugit could be used to create Boots of Haste and Locked Gauntlets (no disarm).

Fire could be used to make Flaming Swords and Burning Gauntlets.

Illusion could be used to make Elven Cloaks (increases prowling) and Hideous Masks (chance to scare enemies)

Black Necromancy could be used to make poisoned arrows and vampiric weapons.

...perhaps that would be too munchkin to be had as a 6th level spell. Maybe they should be 7th...

3. Rane

Rane New Member

Touch Of Death Spell ... :akimbo:

4. DM's Bane

DM's Bane New Member

New magic

How about a divination device like a crystal ball or smoking mirror that can find new locations on the map. (i for one was pissed thad the divination college dident have a spell like that).

5. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

dark elf`s idea`s are great and so is yours bane ... i think scroll`s should not be know from the start..they should have a name and not the description of the magik that it does....and therefore u should learn by experience u read it once and the next time u know for sure what spel it does..

6. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

3 extra spells pro college huh...well here's a few ideas:

Morph
    -------
    Polymorph Self: Useful for infiltrating places or disguising when being chased. Requires target.

Stoneskin: Increase DR, reduces movement by 1.

Enlarge: Target increases in STR but drops DEX speed and is easier to hit, especally by projectile/arrow/bulets.

Nature
    -------
    Animal Eyes: Control your animal companion and use it as a scout (Beastmaster fans know what I'm talking baout here)

Speak with Animals: Who knows what's they'll have to say and add to the game.

Vines of death: Vines that will attack your enemies with reasonable reach

Force
    ------
    Body of Force: Increase Speed and damage metallic wearing/wielding foes). Chance to stun on hits. Take double damage from Earth and water based attacks/weapons.

Summon Force Elemental: (Hey all the other elements have one...)

Shocking Grasp: Increases bare-handed damage, can stun.

Fire
    ----
    Burning hands: FD for bare-handed strikes. Damages armor.

Conveyance:
    ---------------
    Transport Item: Transport and item from one location to another within the vicinity. Dunno if'll help get chests out of rooms but at least we'll get that mystic sword outta the Ancient Maze.

Disarm Trap: Magical Version of the skill.

Self Strike: Cause atacker to hit himself, doing damage as if a normal hit, all binusses applying.

Water
    -------
    Chill touch: Extra damage for bare-handed atack. reduces dexterity.

Extinguish Flame: nice for lava pits and badly placed fires. Lovely damage on Fiery creatures.

Freeze: Target frozen in place, fatigue drops heavily with each casting, causing fainting.

Necromantic Black
    ---------------------
    Drain/Tire: Akin to harm only it affcets fatigue.

Rot: Heavily poisons/diseases target.

Mental
    -------
    Nightmare (chanig the original NIghmare to FEAR): Cast on sleeping target to make him have bad dreams. may cause target to drop held/wielded items.

Memory Wipe: Make that store-owner forget what just happened by erasing his memory. (High fatigue draing spell).

Drain Knowledge: Temporary spell. Allows you to learn one skill/spell (or point per sklll) from your target provided that:
    - For skill(melee, dodge, lockpicking, etc..), they're level is higher than yours. Go to expert if apprentice, and master if expert.
    - Must meet all requirements (dex, str, int, tech level, etc...)
    -Once spell fades, all obtained knowledge is gone.

Can't think of things for the other schools right now...any ideas from you guys?

7. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

u put a lot of thought in to it dind`t you..

8. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Well not really...I sorta wrote it on the fly....

Are they any good?

9. Tzaca

Tzaca New Member

another magik should be blin ... i don`t think this spell is in the game and it should be...

10. FourHorsemen

FourHorsemen Member

Not exactly Grave digging but more like "light uprooting", anyone got any new thoughts?

11. Mangler

Mangler New Member

Jeez you necromancers are lazy, I just get a shovel. :)

12. nemrog

nemrog New Member

Two things ... I've seen the word grave digging on the site 3 time already , what it mean ( newb. q, I know.).

As for new spells. Heck yes:

1 : Get rid of Nature, it's the most useless colledge there is, and replace it with some thing like :

- Psionics : The College of magic that deals with mainpualtion of mind, matter and probability ( Hit chance / faliure, crit. dmg.).

- Thaumaturgy : The colloedge of magic that deals with touching divinity ( good or evil aligned based on alignment modifier), and affixixing ones divine will to physical items ( kind of like Alchemy, or a tech, school but with spell components /effects. Would give versatility.).

- Inner Self : The Colledge of magic dealing with the flow and nature of ones innerself, cultivating manna. ( Spells would include increasing dmg resistance / speed. using a mix of CN and WP to calculate mag dmg pnts. and shooting it at target., enhancing perception / knowing what a target is carring.)

- Drzzl ( Relentless Scorge) : The Colledge of magic dealing with tapping in the varry reaches of chaos, mixed with dark elven lore, and dark necromancy to create spells of unrelenting insanity.

Also I think the colledges should have a spell tree kind of like what you have for Diablo 2, but better. Or some what to create your own spells after reaching a certain level ( and having the needed physical components. Like Filiment for electricity, fertalizer for agressive fir spells, roots / mixes for what not. And just have a Smithy that deals in blending them to get a desired effect ( also needing the person to cast a spell to act as the final component ( making an item that cast the type of spell cast, with pregenerated component mix.). That'd be awesome.

-Nemrog

13. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Look at the date of the last post before yours.

Hopefully, you'll understand what gravedigging means.

BTW, if you don't know how to use the Nature collage, you suck.

14. Vorak

This is the third time this has happened.

I know you people want your hit of DE and Vorak Classic put this isn't the way to get it.

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Well good, hopefully with this one, your fourth incarceration, you'll understand it: don't gravedig. Neat ideas, but I think I personally would prefer if there weren't any colleges of magic removed, thank you.

16. stylex

stylex Member

17. Vorak

This is a suggestion forum, nothing more. No topic in here is about a project that is actually being made.

NOW STOP GRAVEDIGGING

Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!