Constitution

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Packersfan30_3, May 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

I was wondering what this stat actually does? At first I thought it would raise damage resistance and what not, but I noticed it really only effects poison resistance and heal rate. I also noticed a lot of spell-casters have it. I'm playing a game as a half-ogre melee fighter, and I don't want to start pouring points into CN only to find out it has nothing to do with my specialty. Can someone help me out with what it's actual purpose is?

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Spell casters have it because they need to be able to keep throwing their spells at enemies and friends, and constitution also determines how much fatigue you maintain through normal action. Mages use a lot of fatigue through spells, but as a melee fighter, you'll run out of it though being hit and hitting others. Also, the heavier the load you carry, the faster you'll lose fatigue. You need a decent score to keep going in the game, because the last thing you want is to fall unconscious in a cave and let your ogre get beaten to death as you do nothing (happened to me).

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Poison resistance is also good. Especially immunity.

4. team a

team a New Member

Mostly, this is to regenerate fatigue in mages. Regardless of how big your pool of fatigue is, you'll probably run pretty low while in a long dungeon, and you'll want it to regenerate when you aren't in an area where you can't advance time or sleep.

5. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Thanks for all the help, I took all this in and I experimented around a little bit and found a few instances where it is and isn't useful.

-I'm playing the role of a charismatic evil serial killer mellee ogre in a game, who has lots of companions. It is not useful because with a high number of companions. I will have someone to cover me if I get knocked out (rarely) and more importantly to help kill monster's faster making fights go by quicker. So say a person is playing as an attractive woman with high charisma who has tons of followers, it would be almost useless

-Playing the role of a mage has already been discussed, slows use of fatigue, very usefull.

-I found where it comes in a ton of use is if you're a tank. I recently dug out all my old saves and found a human who had dx, st, pe maxed along with all combat skills, but had few points dedicated to anything else. Because of this he took a lot of beatings, and needed to be able to stay in the fight long enough, as he had no one else to help him wear down bigger enemies, like say seething masses who take off massive amounts of hp and ft with each strike. So someone playing the role of the lone wolf who is a veteran in all aspects of combat, yes pretty imperative to have high fatigue.

Thanks for the help guys, I was interested as to what this stat does, as the descriprtion for it sort of vague.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Meh, my mages typically have a Con of 6 and about a million fatigue potions though.

7. team a

team a New Member

it is always tough to put points in any of the basic stats, except maybe strength, unless you are buying something. There is just something boring about getting one more point if it isn't going to help make some kind of mechanical death trap or exploding sheep or something like that.

I always start out with CN for a mage, but I admit I don't spend points on it afterwards.

8. SirVortex

SirVortex New Member

Constitution gives better regeneration, more fatigue, and improves your poison resistance. An important skill.

Well I use most stats lots.

Strength gives hp, melee dmg and carry capacity.
    But then again it is useless and helps no skills.

Dexterity improves speed and AC.
    And helps guys like me who selects Melee and doge for my warriors.

Only skill I find useless is beauty, since it very rarely helps with a little better reaction from people.

9. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Beauty keeps people from straight up attacking you the first time you're seen in town, so I try to make sure it's above 4 at the very least. Also, since it dictates initial reaction, it's good to have a higher beauty so people who are already suspicious of you will still talk.

10. team a

team a New Member

There's always smoking jackets for very ugly people, although of course you have to be likable enough to get your hands on one.

Also, please read the forum rules, specifically #8:
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9686
    I did some awful gravedigging when I first joined, so I know it's forgivable if you're new, but you should be careful not to do it again. I believe the generally accepted limit for posting is around 10 days, but I would be even more cautious when you start here to get the feel of things. Your post there was about 20 days late.

Our Host!