[PATCH] Arcanum 1024x768 ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, May 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want to play Arcanum in better screen resolution ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is not needed...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Soleilnoir

Soleilnoir New Member

Well, how big is your screen ? :)
    800x600@15" screen = 1600x1200@30" screen...
    This kind of patch is extremely useful for the future of Arcanum, as >24" screens will progressively become the norm.

On rpgcodex Drog found there were some issues with the scripting in a few areas and then decided not to release his resolution patch. I think it's too bad because once a resolution patch is out, there is absolutely no doubt that scripting issues can and will be fixed by a modder. The hardest part is getting that resolution patch first (see for example Planescape widescreen patch, now everything works fine). And after all it's everybody's choice to use an incomplete patch or not. When the first Fallout resolution patcher came a few years ago, it didn't work so well, but that did not prevent people from enjoying it. I'd rather have more choice (install it or not) than none (no patch=no choice).

2. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Did they ever patch Planescape enough to get it to run? I might try it again... now that I've VistaU (because oddly enough, it runs Arcanum+other old games better than XP Pro).

p.s: I did get Planescape to run, but never for long or reliably.

3. team a

team a New Member

That sounds great. Thing is, I would probably be compelled to kill myself if I ran Vista. There's one Vista computer on my domain at work, out of about 10 workstations with XP pro and the domain server with server 2003. The Vista was ordered without my supervision and I have sworn at it probably 10x more than any other computer. I can't figure out how to run commands in cmd, which work fine in XP, because of all that security bullshit. But I'm a domain admin and an admin on that machine, too, for God's sake!

Back on topic. If the scripts for widescreen were fixed, I almost guarantee they'd work for regular, so why not? I'd also get involved in this project, for sure.

I think that new interfaces were also an issue, but with a little photoshop, that can be glossed over.

EDIT: also have to fix the (obj) commands, as Drog pointed out here. When you fix those, looping should be fine. They're usually based on the screen size anyway, so maybe this value can be found and changed in the engine at the same time the high res is released.

4. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'll admit that the learning curve is kinda steep, but once you get it, it's easy. Also, it runs old games a LOT better than my XP machine ever did. It's running games I couldn't run when XP was new! Also, your issue maybe that you're running Server 2003 and expecting it to recognize/configure Vista properly. They say that it should, but I've heard otherwise. I think it's one of those "you should upgrade to Server 2008!" styled bullshit. Also, what version of Vista are you running? I'm running Ultimate. I'ven't had much of a chance to fiddle with the lesser versions, but I'd guess that it's worth the extra cash to get Ultimate (given my experiences working with Xp Home vs. XP Pro). Should you ever make such an upgrade, lastly, put up the extra cash to get 4gigs of memory. I've two in my laptop, and am intending to upgrade it soon, because every now and then, when I'm running enough programs, I notice it lag. :(

5. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

wut
    the
    fuck
    ??

6. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

The only game to cause me problems on Vista was Arcanum but since I got it to work its been flawless. In fact aside from a few very minor tweaks I had to do its been a great system.

7. SirVortex

SirVortex New Member

Would you please give a download link for this patch?
    I want to use it even if it would mess up so I see part of world when in inventory and such.

8. Crypton

Crypton Member

I'm finishing atm a tool for patching so I'll be able to release it this weekend...

Also everybody else can use this patched to make their own patches without releasing a exe file...

9. team a

team a New Member

Because you only have to include the .art files for interface, along with the .exe you are about to release?

Our Host!