Editing a schematic to create more than 1 item.

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Computech19, Jun 7, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

I was wondering if it is possible to edit a existing game schematic to create more than 1 item at the same time, not like ammo amounts.

eg. like creating sheet metal and Oak axe handle at the same time by combining Large gears and Pure ore.

or

Lemon and Potato charges that creates the battery and a small spring for instance.

Please provide an example too if possible.

EDIT:

A combination that produces 2 different items

2. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I think if it was possible then the makers would have added Metal Shavings to 1/2 the things made.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Oh by the gods. If anyone makes a schematic for bullets, or something common that involves metal shavings and something like coal, or one of the other nearly useless things, I'll love'em forever.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Fixed.

For metal shavings in particular:
    {1169}{Is your pure ore collecting dust? Are metal shavings cluttering up your inventory? Well, fret no more! By combining the pure ore and metal shavings you can make not one but TWO sheet metal! Flabbergasting!}

Grossenschamm came up with this one. Thanks again, Gross!

5. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I think everyone is not understanding the topic except me he is asking if there is a way to make 2 completely different items off 1 Schematic. and my post was if they could the makers of the game would probably make the second item Metal Shavings on 1/2 the Schematics.

like:

Broken Flintlock Pistol + Small Metal Tube = Hand Crafted Flintlock + Metal Shavings

or:

Pure Ore + Fine Hilt and Guard = Balanced Sword + Metal Shavings

I think if it was able to be done the makers of Arcanum would have already done it for at least 1 Schematic.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I, for one, understood the idea of the thread readily enough. I was simply replying to DarkFool's comment.

Computech19: I haven't tried to create two or more items from one schematic, but I don't believe it's possible. The way the listings are set up, you can make multiple items of the same thing - 2 sheetmetal, for example - but not bullets and shavings.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!

7. Darkform

Darkform New Member

hmmm your Int is over 7 I see.

8. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

Thanks rroyo for welcoming me.

Now my only solution is to create custom Schematics for the items i want to create and i have no clue how to do it and how to add them to the game.

I can however edit the existing ones but i don't want to edit them.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Since you have access to the schematic text and listing files, you can simply add new schematics to the end of the learned section you want to add a new schematic to. Add a name to the gamedesc.mes, and then place your creation into the game.

You will need to either create new art for the schematic or else find an existing drawing that you're content with. For example:

//Strong Poison
    {2200}{24} //Name
    {2201}{25} //Description
    {2202}{542} //Drawing
    {2203}{10067} //Varham's Aqua Vitae
    {2204}{10068} //Monroe's Cleaner
    {2205}{10075} //Result
    {2206}{3} // Result Amount

Line 2202 is the one in question. You can find a listing of the available interface art in the Arcanum1.dat/art/interface folder.

If you want to make absolutely certain the new schematic goes into the discipline you want it in, read this thread and follow the instructions:

http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14697

10. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

Thank you, that's the easy stuff at least i know that and i'm going to use some existing art too, i'll need to edit the InvenSource.mes file too if i want to buy the schematics i made for the game right or is there a different method to do that?

oh and if it is the InvenSource.mes file i need to edited what am i suppose to add, 2000,7039 i know 7039 is the bullets but what is the 2000 for?
    some times i've seen lines like this 370,370 100,8094 100,6111 100,8170.
    the second number is usually the item number but what is the first one?

Edit:
    ok it's easy to put an existing item in shops but i'll need to create a .pro file for a schematic i make to be able to buy my made schematics.
    I don't know how to create .pro files, or do i need to make a copy of an existing one and hex edit it?

11. Darkform

Darkform New Member

first one is % chance shop has each spawn of inventory.

12. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

Ok so it is % chance shop has each spawn, Thanks

13. DarkFool

Is it possible to make an item require three components?
    Also, what about a recipe to make explosive grenades from molotov's and metal shavings? Have the tech requirement really high, that way only true explosive/chemistry majors can properly make such a device...

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Besides the fact the schematic interface is set up to only allow for two items?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/Schematic.jpg

This is do-able. You could either edit a schematic you didn't like or (now) be able to create a new one.
    I don't know how to do the last comment you made, but if you edited a high-skill learned schematic like Explosive Grenade - that would accomplish the same effect.

//Explosive Grenade
    {2660}{60} //Name
    {2661}{61} //Description
    {2662}{523} //Drawing
    {2663}{15111} //Black Powder
    {2664}{15141} //Metal Can
    {2665}{15132} //Result
    {2666}{7} // Result Amount

15. DarkFool

Well don't the 'learned' schematics have the ability to require that you've a certain amount of experience in one or two technical fields? That's what I was thinking. Require that you've a doctorate in explosives, and a doctorate in chemistry, or smithing. Smithing might make more sense, with this incarceration of an explosive device.

16. team a

team a New Member

Haven't been on the forum in the last few days - I've been partying in CT for the last few days before starting work this summer. A few comments -

The first set of numbers - immediately before and after the first comma - are the minimum and maximum amount of gold. The rest are, as you suspect, a value for percentage chance of appearing and a proto number. For example:

{97}{Dwarven Bounty Hunter: 10,50 100,8101 100,6119 100,7039 100,8052 10,15160}

There's between 10 and 50 gold, with a 100% chance of protos 8101, 6119, 7039 and 8052, with a 10% chance of 15160

The best thing to do is to start with the existing schematic, then change the proto number, known, unknown, and start line fields. This is how I learned how to hex edit, with schematic protos.
    Also, I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard a few years ago that you can't add your own protos to pregenerated inventories. This might be misleading; perhaps the person who said this didn't actually create protos, but just created new schematic.mes entries, etc. I haven't had reason to verify this.

I used to think the same thing, but don't forget that you can just buy books to make yourself better at a specific discipline. Powerful tech items should either require spending points to learn to build them, or be composed of at least one part that is made form a learned schematic. You might offer a reinterpretation of some basic items, for convenience - Lemon and Potato Charges are a good example of this.

------

As for creating more than one item with a schematic - yes, it can be done, but it won't be simple. You're going to have to make a variation of the proto of the item that appears as the finished product in the schematic UI. Indicate in the schematic text that the second item will also be created. As for the first item, start with the proto of what the item is, but save it with a different number and with a script attached to the insert item script attachment point.

This script will do something like this:

0. create item with basic prototype <proto> inside Triggerer
    1. create item with basic prototype <proto> inside Triggerer
    2. destroy Attachee
    3. remove this script
    4. return and RUN default

So, when it's created, it produces both items. This way, any scripts that would manipulate the first item wouldn't be fooled by your "dummy" item, because it's immediately deleted and creates two genuine items.

If you are really committed to this idea, you can add new schematic-slot item art that looks like both objects together, as the dummy item will be destroyed anyway. But, it really depends on how much you're committed. I'm sure it was more of a casual question and you're not interested in all that, but I merely wanted to point out that a lot of things are possible that you wouldn't normally think about.

17. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

Thanks for the info team a, but i have no idea how scripts work but i'll try something to see if it works.

Can somebody please send me the Bullet schematic proto file so that i can hex edit it to be able to create custom schematics for the game.

computech19@gmail.com

18. team a

team a New Member

The bullets schematic proto is in your Arcanum/data/proto folder: 014149 - Written.pro

Actually, I think proto editing is harder than scripting, as not all the values are understood. If you ever have scripting questions, I'm always happy to help out. You should do Amtut if you want to learn the basics of everything, including scripting, although DU mostly deals with simpler scripting there.

19. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

20. Computech19

Computech19 New Member

ok so the bullets schematic proto file is "014149 - Written.pro"
    In the game you can buy bullet schematics from a Gun Smith, so what would be the number of the bullets schematic in the InvenSource.mes file, it's not this number 14149, i checked.

Edit:
    i see that the bullets are 20 less than the bullets schematic, so the bullets InvenSource.mes number is 14129, same with fuel 014100 and the invenSource.mes number is 14080, that means if i want to make a schematic the item number in invenSource must be 20 less than the schematic proto file number in Arcanum/data/proto folder.

Sorry double posted again.

Our Host!