Drog ups his fixes to 080523

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Not to be mean or anything, but Iin my opinion, your post just seems to mainly throw dirt at Drog.

I mean, you 'gravedig' to say that his full of himself.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

No he comments that he's dissatisfied with Drog dropping the half-elf art, and he concludes that this along with his behaviour means that he's full of him self. And to be honest, I kind of agree with him, dropping the half-elf art was totally uncalled for.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I always found that inconsistent though. Player half-elves use the human sprite whereas NPC half-elves look elven; really, what's up with that?

4. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Well, a new patch has just yet been released...

Uh, is House of Lords still going to host it? 'Cause I got this one from gamebanshee..

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    I've just found out that Filezilla is also for Linux so I'll be right on it.

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

What I meant was merley that from his post I got the feeling that the thread was some sort of shit throwing contest on Drog, wich it's not.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Happy now? Huh? Huh? HUH?

8. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Haha. I was just merely asking. I mean after the flames and all. You know...

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Our goal is to host everything related to Troika Games. Hence, all Drog's patches are belong to us.

10. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Subtle. Very subtle...

*Cough*

11. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Ha. Imagine coming to HoL with the assumption that "respect" is just dished out like meat and potatos.

12. Langolier

Langolier Member

So change some of the NPC's to use different art. I found it odd too, but the manual does state that it is possible for some Half-Elves to look more elven. Probably in the same regard that certain Half-Orcs are indistinguishable from humans where-as others look fully orcish. When Drog changed this in the patch he completely disregarded everything in the manual as well as the in-game description for Half-Elves.

"They resemble their human parents more."

I would almost say that it was lazy on his part, but then his dedication to this project proves that he is certainly not lazy. It still baffles me... there aren't even that many Half-Elves in the game that he'd have to change. Maybe it is harder than it sounds though.

13. team a

team a New Member

Well, obviously that can't actually be true - someone doesn't go edit all those protos out of laziness. I do agree about the half-elven art, though. I might even question why the males look like elves.

It's a good point about some half-orcs having the same model but different palette as orcs. I would have thought that Troika might have some half-elves use the human palette, and some the elven. This would make more sense, in my opinion, but changing it know would be simply a matter of one's opinion.

I would also imagine that most living half-elves are far less than half elven. Pure-bloods might mingle in human societies, but not stay there, while their children probably wouldn't return to the elven forests, but stay in the cities, and their progeny could probably be classified as half-elven. Maybe male half-elves stand out more because elves are shorter, and the women of both races are of a similar proportion? Elves in Arcanum are shorter, right?

14. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I always imagined they were taller.

15. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Me too. Nasrudin looks pretty towering in the videos.

16. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

As far as I can tell by looking at the avatar images, the similarity of humans and the various races of Arcanum is striking, based only on exaggerated features of existing humans, instead of real racial differences, sometimes to the point that it is impossible to tell them apart; for example, less ugly half-orcs can entirely pass as humans, and live their entire lives without being discovered (compare this with a mixed white-black trying to pass as a completely white), so I can't possibly believe that such a negligible difference could have any effect in the distance of several generations. Unless of course, if MAGIC is involved ;)

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Actually, elves are described as being shorter than humans in the Arcanum manual (which is inconsistent with the dialogue you have with the Bedokkan leader where he describes humans as not being as tall as elves, but whatever).

The racial similarities between humans and the other races is simply due to the fact that the other races are descended from mankind, whether due to natural or supernatural selection. ;)

18. team a

team a New Member

Yeah, there are definitely a lot of similarities. It always stood out to me that the portraits of the different races made them look very realistic. Troika did a good job taking magic out of the realm of the fantastic or unbelievable and making it rational, in accord with the era we find here. And, technology is made more fantastic and incredible, giving the two forces some commonalities than could be conceived of before Arcanum. It's real genius, I think - who would imagine without Troika's storytelling that magic and technology could be either similar or dichotomous? I would have thought that they just had nothing to do with each other. I think Ristezze had a part in convincing me, as a matter of fact...

Oh right, elves. If i wasn't so fuckin' lazy, I'd go find my manual and throw down some citations. But, I can't even remember what's in it, precisely. Good thing DE has the thing memorized. Then again, it would be hard not to with what, 10 manuals? haha.

19. Langolier

Langolier Member

From Sierra-Arcanum (archived),

"Half-elves tend to show the physical build of the human parent, but this is not always the case. They range widely from 60 to 75 inches in height, and weigh between six hundred and eleven hundred stone. At times they can pass as fully human or fully elven, but they can almost always be spotted by the trained observer by a blend of features which is common to neither race."

The manual says the same thing and in the menu description for Half-Elves on the race/background selection screen says the same.

20. team a

team a New Member

Wait... wait... wait...

What is the difference between human female and elven female art, again?

Our Host!