Worth a Thousand Words

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by rroyo, Apr 5, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOTE!! This will not be in the upcoming 3.0 release!

Admin: I would like to submit the top picture for inclusion in the fan art gallery. Thanks.

2. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Hey, that's cheating!

No, wait... :D

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Virgil, Sogg, the player character and Priscilla in a menage a quatre?

I'll take care of it tomorrow when I'm sober again.

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Are you still drinking or did you stop and start up again?

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    There was a brief time of sobriety in between, but I had it coming. I was getting blood in my alcohol stream.

As for the Fan Art gallery, I fear I'll have to do a bit of rummaging before I find it. The Fan Art section that should be accessible from the main page doesn't work at all, which isn't surprising seeing as the page itself appears to belost without a trace.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

D.E. - I was able to get to the fan-art galley from the link at the top of the page without a problem.
    It's just the link at the main page that's acting up.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Oh. I see. Hrm.

Well, it seems that I can't log in with my usual name and password, meaning I have to bitch and moan at DU as I always do. It appears that everything except the ToEE gallery is closed for non-registered album users.

Sorry for the delay mate.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

9. nihilanth

nihilanth New Member

Allways wonderd ehy you could only have her in wormatown :/

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, nihilanth.

To answer your question, Priscilla was created for the Vormantown module, not Arcanum.

11. hellriot

hellriot New Member

How did you get Priscilla in the Arcanum module? Did you just copy her dialog into the Arcanum module and place an NPC using her scripts?

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Nope! I merged Vormantown into Arcanum.

Edit: Read the caption on the first picture.

This will be available in A:WIP 4.0 - coming soon to a PC near you.

13. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Wow. :eek:

Just a question, how'd you merge it? I just want to know. It's not like you could copy and paste one module to the other, right? Personally I'd like to know since I like it and would very much like to merge my Vormantown and Arcanum modules too. :D 'Twould be fun indeed.

EDIT: Oh, and may I just ask where you put it?

14. hellriot

hellriot New Member

I'm not sure if this works but try undating them and place all of the Vormantown files in the Arcanum folder (Leaving all Arcanum files too), then go to the WorldEd and make a jump point from the Arcanum map at the crash site to the bridge on the Vormantown map. I would try it but I just reinstalled my computer and my friend has my Arcanum. I'll get it from him tomorrow and try it.

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Right! Just like hellriot said, you have to undat the module you want to add, find a suitable location to make a jump point from Arcanum to the mod's map (and back), add the mod's map(s) to the Arcanum list, then carefully go through the dialogs, scrs, and mes files to make sure there's no overlap on flags, written things, or descriptions between Arcanum and the module you're adding.

It took a fair amount of work to merge Vormantown into the game.
    My notes don't say for certain, but as I recall, it took about 4 hours to get Priscilla back to Arcanum, another 25 man-hours to make the addition work properly, then another 8 to 9 to do the set-up to get you to Vormantown and small tweaks to the mod like replacing the teleportation scrolls on the elf island with healing ones.
    (I disabled teleporting on Ivory Lake or to Arcanum.)

If you enjoy the satisfaction that comes with the completion of a difficult and meticulous task, then yes it is.

The north-west end of the river that flows past Shrouded Hills has a slightly bulbous end to it. I just named that Ivory Lake and put the jump point there.

Read this posting before you even begin or you could quickly find yourself in over your head. I've been tinkering with modding for 2 years now and this was a bit of a challenge for me.

Of course - that could be just me. You might find it a walk in the park.
    So, by all means, have a go at it and let us know how it turns out!

16. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Actually I've been dedicating time in reading the AMTUT ever since I found out about it in this forum when I got here. Works wonders. I knew one thing, it takes an awful lot of patience, and nothing can really go wrong by just trying.. except by wasting time of course. But, I guess that's part of the package.

Thanks. I'll be trying this. :D And I doubt it would be a piece of cake. Haha. I'm barely a week in this modding stuff.

17. team a

team a New Member

I haven't messed with antiteleport.mes. When you say to Arcanum (the world map), you simply mean that the Vormantown Main Map is on the list, right? I'll definitely undat this when it's released and I find the time, but I was just curious. Did you just add the map or an "area" as well?

That's why you're a champ.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Right!

Both actually.

When you unpack the Vormantown module you'll see three maps. The maplist for the mod lists Multiplayer-Map as being the one used for the game so I copied it to A:WIP's map folder, renamed it to Vormantown, then made a listing in the maplist.mes - 5089 Vormantown

After tinkering with a couple different ways to allow teleportation to and from Vormantown, I just said to hell with it and added this line to the AntiTeleport.mes: {1006}{5089} //Vormantown.
    That made the entire map a no teleport zone and meant I had to make a jump-point.

After choosing a suitable location - the end of the river - I made a listing for Ivory Lake in the gamearea.mes, added a retired fellow there for you to talk to, and a dinghy to get you to Vorman's island. Add another dinghy to Vormantown to get you back, and I called the problem solved.

So that's why there's both a map and an area for this addition to work.

19. team a

team a New Member

is it necessary to prevent teleporting? If Ivory Lake is actually near the Crash Site, shouldn't you be able to teleport away from Ivory Lake, since it's actually "on" the Arcanum World Map? You can't teleport to a specific map anyway, the question is only if you can teleport FROM the map.

And if Ivory Lake's gamearea entry is the shore on the river there, shouldn't you be able to teleport there and talk to the guy right away? I assume since you only listed line 1006 that you didn't prevent teleporting to that location.

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You're right - you can teleport to and from the "shore" of Ivory Lake, but not from Vormantown.

As for allowing teleporting from the Vormantown map, yeah, it could have been done, but it would have been clunky.

Our Host!