A New Bug-Fix Is Out

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by rroyo, Apr 12, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

2. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

personally, i can't wait to take it apart and see how he did all that, especially the dark elf, orc, and ogre thing.

I find it funny how the modding community for a game comes to life 6 years after release.

There are, what, 5 people currently working on arcanum projects?

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That sounds about right.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Awesome. This might be TA front-page material.

This might be the impetus I need to get me to advance a character all the way through this game. Reading through the bugfix list, they seem to have made a lot of really significant (and obvious) improvements.

5. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Drog mentions not using this with mods, but does that definition include a modified main game? I don't know.

I've got some studying to do.

7. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

His orc/ogre/dark elf race mod doesn't work with car-arcanum (i've just checked)

Also, I've just realized something. Now when someone asks if they should download any fan-made content before playing the game for the first time, we have something to tell them other than "make sure your patched 1074"

8. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I am no modder/scripter by any means, but I do recall some stuff from my Fallout days. A certain scripter, Killap, made an awesome patch which was incorporated into the awesome Megamod by MIB.

If A:WIP and this patch where broken down, could they not be integrated into one?

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Many aspects of it like the dialog, schematic, and a few other small things will settle right in without any problem.
    There are a few things I'll need to watch out for though - for example: Weldo's dialog was modified by me for directions, and then Drog fixed the rejoining difficulty. For things like that, the fixes will need careful comparison before adding.

As for the rest of it... I just don't know. Yet. After I get the easy stuff in place and tested, I'll add one piece at a time and see what happens.
    That promises to be a long testing session.

10. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Time to rally the troops and start up some Beta testing sessions.

I would be willing to test run stuff for you. As far as file sharing, I am not sure how you wish to go about that. I am computer stupid as far as doing this over the internet.

11. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Just a question. Forgive the stupidity if ever you find it stupid as I don't know anything about modding. :(

Does the patch make the other hacks (maxim's mechanized gun hack, level 127 hack) not work? Because one thing is for sure, mine don't work. Although I guess only the cargo hold hack does..

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You're correct. Do not use the Arcanum patch with any other bug-fix or hack. Especially the Level 127 hack. And...
    From the patch readme: "-Maxim will now recognize parts for a Mechanized Gun and build one for you."

The only possible exception is the cargo hold: I'm not set up to check this, but I'm pretty sure that it should work without conflict. Your post even said as much.

I'd recommend pulling everything but the cargo hold, double-clicking the CleanCache.bat, and starting a fresh game.

13. newborn21

newborn21 New Member

Thanks.

But I did notice something. Perhaps only the Cargo Hold Hack worked since it was the only one extracted under the directory Arcanum\modules\arcanum. I noticed this because I personally extracted files from different mod hacks and that these other hacks were only to be extracted into Arcanum\data folder..

Just saying that maybe that was the reason that the cargo hold was recognized.. :D

14. Langolier

Langolier Member

I have to say, this bugfix was awesome for a while but I think Drog is a little arrogant to change the PC half-elves to Elven art. All of the lore in the game supports them looking like humans. He is a weird guy though.

15. team a

team a New Member

OMG WTF GRAVEDIG!!!11

Seriously, I would suggest commenting on Drog's post over in the news section, especially when DU posts a new thread about a new release of the patch. I think this was rroyo's original post about it.

16. TorianKel

TorianKel New Member

It's nice that somebody still works on this great game.

Our Host!