The Lost Dungeon of Souls Scenario disk

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Darius, Feb 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. floyd

floyd New Member

Why do you write "shit"? Is the xplosiv version not legit or something?
    I actually looked for a copy of this edition a couple of years ago after reading about it in a game mag, but I couldn't find it over here. They all came with a cloth map? That's worth looking for one on eBay, methinks.

[​IMG]

2. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I write shit because, shit, I get the same copy but mine didn't come with the map. Go figure. But given the situation at the time, I was lucky a copy was floating around for my brother to pick up at Christmas. When I searched around Thanksgiving time, all my effort proved to find 1 measly copy. It was on Amazon and the seller wanted $40 for it. Money was tight at the time and so I said, "Shit, that's too much to drop on a 5 year old game I know next to nothing about."

Well you said so yourself in the 8th post of this thread. And you still didn't even know if it was legit or not:

Besides, how do you know the thieves wouldn't be doing this same thing with other games to dupe other hardcore fans of their hard-earned money at the same time they're doing it with this one. It's not like they're making a living at it, so they don't have to pull in 2 months worth of salary to make out with a nice profit. All someone had to do was download Carcanum, burn it to a LightScribe disk with a fancy logo and post it on ebay. What would that take, 30 minutes of your day and voila, a week later you get a check in the mail for 50 bigboys for your minimal effort. Go out and spend that on whatever hot new game is coming out that month and you basically just got it for free. The world is full of idiots and suckers, with the former normally praying on the latter, sometimes for no reason at all.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Nope. My disks are normal. However, I will confess that I think my box was small. I'm a little doubting of it now... and I still can't find my map. :(

4. team a

team a New Member

what's the significance of "xplosiv"?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    None at all really, it's just a brand that specialized in re-releasing old games. I have two such copies of Arcanum in my bookshelf.

6. GrimmHatter

There's no real significance, just confusion (at least on my part). Wikipedia says it's a "budget games publisher" run by Empire Interactive which itself is a UK based game company. How Xplosiv got the rights from Sierra to distribute Arcanum, I don't know. I suspect they're not even in business anymore as their site is now defunct, full of broken links and pics.

7. Darkform

Darkform New Member

maybe they didn't get the rights from Sierra and Sierra sued and thats why they are defunct.

just guessing.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

currently xplosiv.net is down, and it refers you to empire.co.uk's support email address.

I found xplosiv.co.uk to be a more interesting site, but maybe that's just me...

*goes to browse armored vehicles*

9. GrimmHatter

That's a cool site. Someone was talking before about retaking their rightful place on the thrown of Sweden or Switzerland? I think that site and this one (linked from xplosiv.co.uk) would be a good place to start "accessorizing" for the task.

10. Darius

Darius New Member

GrimmHatter wrote : Besides, how do you know the thieves wouldn't be doing this same thing with other games to dupe other hardcore fans of their hard-earned money at the same time they're doing it with this one. It's not like they're making a living at it, so they don't have to pull in 2 months worth of salary to make out with a nice profit. All someone had to do was download Carcanum, burn it to a LightScribe disk with a fancy logo and post it on ebay. What would that take, 30 minutes of your day and voila, a week later you get a check in the mail for 50 bigboys for your minimal effort. Go out and spend that on whatever hot new game is coming out that month and you basically just got it for free. The world is full of idiots and suckers, with the former normally praying on the latter, sometimes for no reason at all.

Well, for one thing, LightScribe technology didn't exist at the time I saved the image from the eBay auction and the disk looks official to me.

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

My two cents worth: The title and timing has me wondering if it isn't actually Dungeoncrawl.

12. Darius

Darius New Member

13. floyd

floyd New Member

Dungeon Crawl

14. Darius

Darius New Member

15. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

So I'm not sure what to believe about the actual disk, I'm inclined to believe it's fake because of no demos existing on the internet, but something bothered me. Are the copies of Arcanum out now the only copies remaining? Like if mine where to break today, would I be able to buy another one?

16. floyd

floyd New Member

I think it was re-released quite recently, I'm pretty sure it was re-released in the UK, but I don't know if it was available elsewhere on the globe. There's tons of copies available on eBay at the moment in any case, so if you want a spare one to give to your children or grandchildren one day, now's the time to do so.

It's quite a frightening idea, ain't it? 'Cause yes: one day it will not be re-released anymore. It will be a dull, old, boring game, no one will be interested in it anymore, so old, nostalgic people like you and me who will desperately want a copy of Arcanum will have to search for one of the remaining copies out there. On eBay or whatever the hell that site will be called in the future. It'll probably be downloadable from one of those shareware, ghostware, vaporware, deadware sites on the interwebz with a small paragraph explaining that it was one of those games that was not a financial success but was still able to warm the hearts of a small group of idiots who didn't mind the fact that it was full of bugs and had pretty poor graphics for the time. It'll be a holy grail for some, a waste of bits and space for others. Until one day, sites being taken down, interest in 2D games completely gone, it will cease to exist. Maybe someone will still have a copy of it in the attic or the cellar, but he will not even remember. He will have forgotten the joy the world of Arcanum gave him when he was a kid.

Everything disappears eventually, kid. Get use to it. It's one of the basic laws of reality.

Now go and find another copy of Arcanum before it's too late! Hurry! Time has no mercy on the fabric of reality! Run, kid, run!

:lol:

17. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    You mean, we should all dedicate our lives to erect monuments in stone and metal and carve Arcanum's code into every significant piece of rock in the world so that future generations will be able to replicate it should it ever be forgotten?

18. Darkform

Darkform New Member

*a dark form grabs a chisel and hammer* looks like I have some work to do.

19. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

Actually, Drogs new patch removes the CD check from the game, so all you need is an installed directory of Arcanum, and your pretty much safe for life. Haha.

20. GrimmHatter

Our Host!