The Lost Dungeon of Souls Scenario disk

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Darius, Feb 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Darius

Darius New Member

Hello,
    I haven't checked the forum for a few weeks and now I see there are still some of you who think this is some sort of a hoax. To be honest, I don't really care if people think it is a hoax or not. I have nothing to gain from perpetuating a hoax. I did install a Lightscribe dvd burner in my son's computer after I posted the picture. He showed me one dvd he had Lightscribed and it had a cool 3D holographic effect to it. Nothing like the picture. Also, I didn't take the picture, it was copied from an eBay auction I had lost. From what I read in Don Quixos' thread he said he read somewhere that it was a mod put out by EBGames. Why would EBGames release a mod? It is obliviously a pre-order bonus cd for Arcanum with a single dungeon on it that you received when you pre-ordered through EBGames. Maybe you could also get it if you pre-ordered through Sierra. I didn't pre-order the game so I don't know. I used to get pre-order bonus cd's through Interplay all the time and EBGames usually had the same bonus cd's when you pre-ordered through them. Perhaps someone could get ahold of Don and see if he is willing to share the disk with the rest of the forum if he bought it? I wish I had seen that copy of Arcanum on Amazon and snagged it before Don. Unfortunately, it isn't there anymore so someone must have bought it. Oh well, the search continues...

2. Oracle

Oracle Member

I somewhat track you down on ebay. (you really are a big collector huh?)
    and I got the feeling you spoke the truth about seeing that disk on ebay.

However that does not make this disk for real. As far as we know it might be a fake created by the seller. Darius, isn't there a way to check that arcanum product anymore? I believe even it was sold, the ended auction should still be floating around ebay several weeks? Maybe that way we could track the seller/buyer and get more info about the disk. You probably removed the auction from your follow product list but I believe you could check your lost auctions to gain access again.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm going to look into it in my own, dis-illusioned way.

4. Darius

Darius New Member

Ebay removes completed listings after 90 days, I believe. The auction I got the picture from was well over a year and a half old. You used to be able to save the full page of a listing to your hard drive but eBay hasn't allowed that for a long time now so I was only able to save the picture. I would assume that is because of security reasons. Unfortunately, the picture is the only proof I have. I did contact the buyer after the last auction and offered to buy the disk for $50.00 but he sternly told me it wasn't for sale. I wish I had asked him to sell me a copy of it at least but eBay strongly discourages you from bothering winners of auctions you lost so I didn't want to get in trouble. As I stated previously, I have seen two auctions for this disk in the last four years on eBay so I don't think the seller was conning people. The reason I came to this forum to begin with was to try to find out some information or see if anyone here had a copy for sale because I am desperate. In all my years of collecting, I haven't seen such a rare bonus disk before and that makes me want it all the more.

5. Oracle

Oracle Member

you probably lost both seller and buyer email adress aswell, otherwise those where our best bet in getting usefull information about those disk.

our best source now would be the developers from troika (rip)

6. Darius

Darius New Member

Oracle,
    No, I didn't write down the names of the sellers or buyers of either auction because I thought another auction for the disk would show up eventually. I wish I had now. Sigh....

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would say that if you're truly interested in finding this disk, flesh out a polite, rational email, and send it to a member of the Troika team, with the primary purpose of it being an inquiry as to whether orn't they possess any knowledge of such a disk, or the development of such a thing. I also would ask that only one person do this, as I'm quite sure they still get random Arcanum questions, and the last thing we'd want to do is piss off what may be the last viable source of finding out what's going on there. Oh, and I would also like to say that I would appreciate it if you posted what you would send prior to sending it: it would be great if everyone read it over and gave input. Whilst I doubt this will go as smoothly as my 'Recruitingism' messages did, it's still worth a shot.

I also hold the vague belief this is all a grand plot by DE or Vorak, or somesuch, given that this is around a month after his 'Lost Dungeon of Souls" sequel mishap of an April Fools Prank

8. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

The thought had crossed my mind as well, once I remembered where I'd heard that title before. Though once past the feeling of it being a hoax, I'm still sticking to my theory that it's an early demo of original Arcanum dungeon or even a possible beta of an expansion/mod pack.

9. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Uhm... Where do you guys think he got the idea for the joke? This thread is much older than april 1st.

10. Darius

Darius New Member

DarkFool wrote: (in really small text)
    I also hold the vague belief this is all a grand plot by DE or Vorak, or somesuch, given that this is around a month after his 'Lost Dungeon of Souls" sequel mishap of an April Fools Prank

First off, who is DE? I'm familiar with the administrator Vorak as he has posted in this thread. Also, who pulled a failed April Fools joke based on my thread? I'm intrigued as to what happened, lol! Hey DarkFool: Is there any way of actually e-mailing a former member of the Troika team? I haven't followed where they went since Troika broke up. I still feel that it would be easier to have an administrator contact Don Quixos first and see if he has this disk.

11. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

12. Darius

Darius New Member

Ok, DE = Dark Elf. Duh... my bad. Dark Elf: By the way, I really like your zombie cats. I have a thing for zombies myself. Thanks for the link Vyenna!

13. floyd

floyd New Member

It is now officially a hoax.

Since all of you were too lazy (surprise, surprise) to contact a member of the old Troika team, I mailed Jason Anderson and he has no recollection whatsoever of this so-called "The Lost Dungeon of Souls Scenario". He even called Boyarski (yeah, what a man, what a man) and he doesn't remember it either. What's more: there were no bonus discs that came with a pre-ordered copy of Arcanum. The only extra you got when you pre-ordered Arcanum was a cloth map instead of the regular paper one most of us have.

My two cents: someone with too much time on his hands and a LightScribe DVD burner thought he could become the funniest person on the planet.

Sorry to shatter everyone's hopes and dreams, though... :(

14. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I have the cloth map but I didn't pre-order the game, I bought it new at Target in 2003.

15. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

How the hell did you get his email??

16. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Yes, if it was that easy to just ring up any old member of Troika and ask them, I think someone would've nipped this in the butt a year ago when the first tread about it was made. Oh wait, gotta go....Tim Cain's on the phone. He wants to go hang out and play some foosball.

17. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

"Never underestimate the power of denial", eh?

18. floyd

floyd New Member

Take a pick:
    [1] My wife fucks around a lot.
    [2] I am Jason Anderson.
    [3] I didn't mail anyone, but used common sense: how on Earth would a dedicated fansite like this not know of the existence of that elusive disc?

8)

19. Darkform

Darkform New Member

[4] if the disc is real why hasn't anyone ever asked any questions about how to compleat this or that quest or find this or that in it?

20. floyd

floyd New Member

Good point.
    Your logic amazing be, young padawan. :wink:

Our Host!