The Lords of Arcanum

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Feb 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    He remained in the bar for a while, emptying another bottle of wine. Getting drunk was not a good idea, he knew that, but he just couldn't stop thinking about that half-elf. Desire burned with such intensity in him he had to resist the temptation darting out on the streets looking for him - of course, it would have been foolish, he'd never find him in a city as big as Tarant. But he had needs that had to be taken care of. He had to rise early the next day, sleeplessness, or even worse, comatose unconsciousness brought on by too much wine was definitely not going to help him.

So he walked up to the bartender. The man's face immediately broke up in a smile when he explained the directions to a place called the Red Mill, just by the Vermillion Bridge. He went there, hoping he'd stumble into Thonan on the way. Of course, it didn't happen.

Anyhow, the Red Mill was where the bartender had said it would be. It turned out to be a rather pleasant whorehouse, run by an aged half-elf woman with a warm smile. After some money had changed hands, she snapped her fingers and a number of girls lined up behind her.

He picked a young, human girl calling herself Lil. He generally disliked young human prostitutes. They lacked the experience, were clumsy and tended to lack all sense of humor. He was pleasantly surprised to see that Lil was none of that, the girl was clearly experienced beyond her years or had a great talent for what she did. And what humor! As they lay there after the act, panting, she told him she wanted to run the place herself after the old Madam had gone. Nothing wrong with her ambition!

Kissing Lil goodbye, he staggered back to Grant's, entered his suite, and collapsed on the fine linen. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

...And that's the deal. Get rid of this "Thonan" for me, and I'll let you in on some of the merchandise i bring back from where-ever that elf is taking me. So, Sabine, what say you?

Sabine looked at him with curious eyes. She seemed uncertain what to think of it. Suspicious. Benjamin understood her. He would have been suspicious, too. A reknown half-ogre fighter can't take care of his own business? In the boil, there was something very wrong with that sentance.

Finally, she spoke.

- What if I can't find anyone to do it?

In his mind, Benjamin smiled. He had hoped for her to ask that direct question. Whilst he had been telling her his story, and offered her the deal, he hadn't been able to miss the interested glances some of the orcish patrons had shot him. Only mentioning the chance of getting to beat the living daylights out of a point-ear was enough for some of those lads.

Benjamin leaned towards Sabine, and nodded towards one of the other tables.

Actually, Sabine, I don't think you'll have any problems at all in finding at least a mob of potential co-workers on this one. If you don't ask them, they'll probably ask you before the evening's over.

She glanced over his shoulder, and nodded faintly. There seemed to be some calculation going on behind her eyes. Benjamin hadn't noticed at first, but there was something different with Sabine, from when he'd last seen her. She look older and more cleaned up. There was also something about her eyes that suggested a change.

- Yeah. Ok, I'll do it. He'd been at Grant's last, you said? We'll find him. Got some favors to collect from the guard. Don't you worry, he'll bother you no more.

They shook hands, and Benjamin settled back into his chair.

I'll drink to that. Let's have another beer.

- Sure. Oi! Caleb! Why don't you bring me and mister here something to drink?

A little boy clad i rags came up to the table. He was thin, but strong. He looked at Benjamin with uncertain eyes.

- Yeah, mom, what do you want?

Banjamin looked at Sabine with eyes as big as plates.

No? You, a mother? Who would've guessed! And who's the fortunate father?

- I don't talk about that sunnova. Let's just say he's on a really long business journey. Now, Caleb, why don't you ask mister Chase here what he wants to drink?

- Ok, mom. What do you want, mister?

Charming kid, Sabine. Caleb, right? I would like to have a beer, please, and I'm sure that your mother would like that, too.

- Yes, sir. I'll be back in a minute.

Caleb rushed off towards the bar. When he'd gone, Sabine told Benjamin about Caleb's ambitions to, one day, take over the pub and start up his own business there.

- Good dream, yeah? Good money, and he won't even have to change the sign above the door!

3. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Walking out of grants tavern, Thonan directly turned towards the cheap inn where he haf stuffed his belongings. Walking down the road, he felt the cobblestone through his boots. He was thinking of the job he just had taken, and that elf that he convinced to hire him. And least but not last, he thought of the other brute, Benjamin Chase, that the elf as hired. That ogre could not be happy gaining a second one the share the loot with, and he would probaly have to look out for any trouble that might come.

Then he reached the inn, got inside, payed the innkeeper and packed his bags. It wasn't much really, most that he needed he carried with him at all time, but he couldn't always carry his bags. He went down to the stable and made his horse ready, and then went out on the street. He looked up at the sky, momenterily lost in thoughts, than he started to walk back to Grants.

It hadn't passed much time, before he heard hoarse voice speak behind him.
    Ya aint going no more, elf! The last word was spitten out in contempt. Thonan turned around and stared at the gang of thugs that had cleared the street and was most probaly after his life. Possibly, he had Mr Chase to thank for this. The five of them were probaly more brawlers than fighters, and probaly saw him as easy meat.

But Thonan wasted no breath on words and gave them no chance to react before he had drawn his swords and flung forward towards them. The one that looked like the leader had a rather suprised look on him when the Tigersoul sword was buried deep in his throat, and the second one going for the knee, crippling the already dead half-orc.

Then the others started to react, trying to hit him, but barbrawlers are no match for a skileld warrior, and Thonan was more than skilled. The fight was over in a few seconds, five corpses lying on the street, and in the middle a single man standing up, with blooded swords. Thonan kneeled and wiped his swords clear of blood, than turned around, gatherd his belongings and his horse, and continued to Grants, where he sat down to wait for Mr Chase and Mr Wynde.

4. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

- And so it begins. Time to shredd my mortal remains and begin my ascend to my birthright. My claim to godhood. - Malendroor aimed his Tesla Rod at a wooden door, and destroyed it with a thunderbolt. Pieces of broken and charred wood littered the floor of the wooden house in the countryside of Ashbury

Inside, a wizard's right hand began to glow in th

- What are YOU doing here, fool!

- Pray so that the gods grant mercy for your soul, for I will grant none. - Both Steele and the wizard prepared to atack, but Steele was faster and the Wizard paid for being slower. A thunderous roar of lighting and technology unleashed a thunderbolt from Malendroor's Tesla Rod, which violently knocked the Wizard into a table full of technological components

- Have mercy!

- Mercy is for those that deserve it. - And, with a motion, another thunderbolt struck the wizard, whose body violently twitched for five seconds. And then, he died quickly and painfully

And then, Malendroor turned to a nearby technologist bound by magical means...

5. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

John stepped out into the streets of Tarant, stretching his legs. The skiff from Dernholm wasn't exactly comfortable, considering it was disguised as a lumber delivery frigate, there hadn't been much luxury afforded to him, or his furred companion.

Insufferable old man..., he thought, memories of the King of Cumbria's rather coarse treatment of him. A knight of Caladon sent on a spy mission to retroactively earn him room and board, whatever had happened to honor or respect for a warrior who comes in peace! Ill-begotten bastard-

McArthur stopped himself, these thoughts would do no good to him. He was honor-bound to this duty now, and he was also in unfamiliar terrain. He hoisted up his bag and whistled loudly. A quick scampering of paws lead a white ball of fur running down the plank towards his feet.

Hey little guy, ready to go?

Blinky yipped his approval and followed as John waved his thanks to the captain and started away. The man was nice at least, and had tried to ease the unpleasant journey. He'd fine a modest tip in his quarters, although McArthur was on somewhat limited means, given his situation.

Walking through the unfamiliar streets of Tarant, John was both intrigued by the bustle and alarmed at the squallor. Reaching a small hotel advertising cheap board and good food, he settle in to a meal and a beer. After feeding his bear and bedding down, McArthur enjoyed what was to be his last quiet night in the great city of industry.

6. Dark Elf

Media:
    Too much wine. Way too much wine. And yet he had to get up at this ungodly hour. His temples where throbbing.

Oh well, his own damn fault.

Walking towards the library, his mood improved considerably. After all, this was the beginning of his great mission, the time when the name Sariel Wormwood would be on everyone's lips! He soon reached the library, and stepped in. It had just opened.

The librarian, a runty little gnome, demanded an atrocious membership fee, but that was trivial. He would soon be rich beyond his wildest dreams anyway.

The book he was looking for was War Never Changes by R. Perlman. Depite it's name, it was one of the most extensive works on dragons in all of Arcanum. Not because it actually had that much to say about dragons, but it was one of the books that wasn't filled with nonsensical fables. He skimmed through the pages. There were some really great accounts of the history of war, anecdotes from soldiers and some weird theories on how the Vendigroth desert was caused by some unknown technological weapon, but he didn't care about that.
    Eventually though, he found what he was looking for. Description of a cave outside the city of Ashbury, rumoured to keep the last dragon egg in all of Arcanum. Bingo! No one had found it, of course, but the undead legions had had some... interesting information on the matter.
    And there was a map! He copied it down. Perfect! He wanted to shout with joy, but he knew better than to attract unwanted attention. He carefully put the book back and went to Grant's. His employees should be ready by now.

7. Wolfsbane

Benjamin sat slumped against the wall in one of the corners of Grant's tavern. The chair he sat on creaked uncomfortably beneath his weight, but he was too tired, and his head hurt too much, to care. He yawned. His friends in the Boil had kept him going all through the night, and fatigue had started to wave it's hand in an attempt to make itself heard. Unfortunetly for him, he couldn't ignore it's call.

At least that half-elf had been taken care of. His payment was secured, and that was what really mattered. He could sleep all he wanted later.

Finally, someone who at least resembled his employer stepped through the tavern door. He arose from his chair, who would have let out a sigh of relief had it only been able to, and walked over to the individual by the door.

Mister Wynde?

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Mister Wynde?

Ah, Mister Chase! Excellent! Excellent indeed, I hope you are ready to leave. Uhm, Mister Tigersoul's late, is he?

He looked around in the tavern. In the shadows in the far corner, he could see Thonan.

And Mister Tigersoul too! Wonderful! Gentlemen, if you have breaken your fast I suggest we leave this depraved city at once!

9. wobbler

And Mister Tigersoul too! Wonderful! Gentlemen, if you have breaken your fast I suggest we leave this depraved city at once!

Thonan had sat himself in one of the corner and watched when the half-ogre came in, stumbling, probaly halfdead from drinking. He sure looked like it.

Yes, I said I would be here, didn't I?He said with a smile at Benjamin.And I am ready whenever you are. Shall we begin the journey then, Mr Wynde? Just lead the way and I will follow he said, picking up his bags.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Splendid! We'll leave right away then!

Suddenly, something felt terribly wrong. He couldn't figure out what it was though. He turned to the half-ogre.

Mister Chase?

11. Wolfsbane

Benjamin remained calm and decided to ignore the half-elf for the time being. Sabine probably hadn't been able to assemble an organized attack yet. He would be rid of the point-ear soon enough. He turned instead to Wynde and gave him a big, friendly smile.

Yes, mister Wynde. Let's be on our way. The day is not getting any younger.

Benjamin went ahead and opened the door for his employer.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

An argument arises in the Magickal Smith's shop.

An egg? You brought me to Tarant so I might find you a single egg somewhere in the Grey Mountains? Favor aside, that's pretty damned silly of you, Panas.

Silly? Silly would've been allowing that female alligator to mother you to independence. Though, I have to say it was quite the pretty little picture. It's a good thing I can tell the difference between a maternal nightmare and a talking lizard-child...

Ha ha ha, that's so very funny. You still didn't tell me what purpose the egg serves. And I said favor aside! I'd much prefer to know all the ins and outs of a situation before plunging headlong into the fray.

Panas pauses, and a stern expression forms on his face.

This one egg is the most sought after object of our day. It's the last surviving egg of a dragon, and what's inside could mean the future or the damnation of our world. This thing will be guarded. It's got to be, or there'd be no way for it to have survived until now.
    Also, I never said it would be right in the Grey Mountains. It's around the mountains. More specifically, a cave a few miles from Ashbury. Are you feeling a little more cooperative, Balyr?

Interesting...and I thought my adventuring days were over.

Grausemann had kept all of his possessions as a Bedokaan hunter, and had also kept them in pristine condition. He used to wear concentric bronze rings around his neck for protection, but against the weapons of Arcanum, they'd fall short. Still, it's better than nothing when someone tries to cut off your head. More recently, he'd made a chain tunic of sorts. It was pointless over his back, seeing how hard the scales weere, but it worked covering the rest of his torso. He also had a large hooked machete, to trip and dismember prey. This and his most recent inventions would probably make his little trip all the more easy.

Alright, Panas. I'll need some time to make bullets and my latest gun.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Something was wrong. He could feel it, a tension in the air almost tangible. Then again, he'd been so hungover walking from the library he'd considered contributing to the stench of the river by vomitting into it. He didn't have time for this.

To the horses then men, let's leave this horrible city!

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    His companions had been oddly silent the last few days since they'd left Tarant. They always answered to him, of course, but so rarely did they talk amongst themselves that Sariel couldn't shake the feeling that the tension he'd felt back at Grant's was still there.

Oh well, he didn't pay them to be the mediator of their petty arguments. All he cared about was the fact that he travelled much faster now that he didn't have to keep an eye on two horses, and the added safety was well worth all the gold he'd spent. His companions, their senses dulled by the cursed human blood running in their veins, hadn't seen it, but several bands of orcs had fled when they'd seen what was coming on the grassy plains. Half-ogres packed a fear factor, that's why he'd instructed the mentalists in T'sen Ang to use them as shock troops.

It was getting late. They arrived upon a small lake surrounded by a number of birches. The perfect place to rest for the night.

Let's stay here and set up camp!

15. Wolfsbane

Yes indeed, let's do do. I believe this poor horse could use some time off after having carried my all this way today. I must comment on it's remarking strength and stamina, though. A magnificent beast.

He did his very best to hide it, but Benjamin was getting more frustrated by the hour. Sabine should have struck days ago, and still there was not the slightest sign of either her or her men. Maybe Benjamin was going to have to handle this problem of his on his own, although he very much disliked the idea to actually kill the half-elf. He had no problem in hiring others to do the work for him, but he just didn't like the idea of having to beat the poor point-ear to death with his own hands.

I'll get a fire going.

He said, and started to do just that.

16. wobbler

Whilst Benjamin was getting a fire started, Thonan decided to scout around a bit, get familiar with the area.

I will have a look around whilst you get a fire started He said, jumped off the horse and went towards the lake. When passing one of the birches, he suddenly felt a foul stench in his nostrils, brought to him by a small gust. He threw himself aside, saved only by instincts. Where he moments ago had stood, there now stood a 7-foot orc with a giant axe and from out of the surroundings ten other orcs sprung, screaming their disgust rushing towards their prey, Thonan Tigersoul.

But without hesitation and with the eyes of a demon, Thonan charges the rushing enemies with bare blades, not giving a moments thought to the uneven odds, ten against one. He leaped into the heap of orcs, cutting and slashing wherever he could find a spot. It was an inhuman slaughter, brought by those whom have years and years of combat experience, and still not considered old. He left nothing but screaming mutilated orcs behind him, not thinking once about the possibility that he could leave an enemy capable to continue the fight. He cut through the enemies like a sword through butter, giving none a closer look, with the face of one that actually slicing butter. Because in death there are no differences, and tonight, Thonan was the bringer of death. Moving like in a complicated dance, he moved from one partner to another, with no luck in finding a worthy opponent.

But no choir can sing forever, not even the best of musician can play forever, and sooner or later everyone leaves the dancefloor, and like death comes to everyone, the end came to this dance as well. With a final cut decapitating the orc with axe, he stopped with his elven swords pointing towards the ground, dripping of blood.
    He had given a marvelous performance and had left nothing but ten mutilated bodies, some with their stomach ripped open, and some with a missing limb. Some were still moaning, not yet dead of their wounds.
    All of them had been proud and skilled warriors, but none worthy enough to put down the Tiger.
    None of them strong enough to take the head of a Tiger with blood in his mouth.
    Finishing of the work, killing the few survivors, he went back to the camp.

My dancing is done for tonight I think. But I can take the first watch, unless anyone disagrees he said with a look at Benjamin.

17. Wolfsbane

Benjamin found himself surprisingly impressed by the half-elf. Sure, he had faced common orcish bandits, but killing ten without as much as a scratch to tell was still an impressive feat. But everyone had a weakness, Benjamin knew, and the more he studied this Thonan, the more he got the picture that he very much didn't like to get hurt. Hopefully, if it came down to it, Benjamin would only have to throw a single, heavy punch to at least knock him out. Oh, if it would just come down to that…

He found himself staring the half-elf very hard in the back of his head, and quickly broke off the stare to avoid suspicion. His employer seemed to be busy with something else, so he probably hadn't noticed. Good.

Whilst Thonan had been scouting, before the attack, Benjamin had finally got the fire going, and was now roasting some meat that he'd brought with him from Tarant. A pleasant smell arose from the fire, engulfing the camp. Benjamin poked the meat in the side with a knife, and decided it was done.

Well, with Thonan having taken care of that business, I say it's time to eat. There's enough food here for all of us, so "dig in", so to speak.

With that, Benjamin "dug in".

18. Dark Elf

Media:
    The display he had just witnessed was one of the most impressive things he had seen in his life. The skillful movements, the deadly rhythm... even the most ancient blademasters of T'sen Ang would have had a hard time besting that.

The boy MUST have been a student of one of the master swordsmen of Arcanum, and Sariel happened to know a few.

That was truly impressive Thonan... that's the way you deal with those filthy orcs, you chop them up like sausages, haha! say, where did you learn that? Surely, he said as he sat down to eat.

Our Host!