dose any1 still play arcanum online

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by booker69, Feb 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. booker69

booker69 New Member

every time i log on online no ones created a server and no ones joinin mine do ppl still go on it or is there a private server or somthing

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Arcanum doesn't work in multiplayer. Never has been, never will be.

3. booker69

booker69 New Member

4. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Doesn't work?? I got it to work no problem, but not with the servers that come with the game, I had to download something different, can't remember the name of it now but I could look it up if anybody is interested

5. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

No, you didn't read him correctly. Arcanum doesn't work in multiplayer.

6. wayne-scales

I DEFINITELY got it to work at least once, I think.

I only tryed it to see if it worked and as far as I could tell, it did. I could be wrong though..

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Did you and a remote friend of yours get it to work for more than two seconds without crashing? 'Cause I don't think so.

8. wayne-scales

I was using two computers, myself. One was a laptop that was barely able to run Arcanum because it was very slow and didn't have a lot of processing power. I started a Multiplayer game (using Hamachi) and it definitely lasted at least 10 seconds before i tryed to kill the other player. The laptop was very unresponsive because it was so slow (even in Single Player) and when I attacked the other player he automatically attacked back without my saying so, resulting in death.

I decided not to try it again as the laptop was too slow and I didn't see much point.

9. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

does it work on lan?

I once played through an entire arcanum multiplayer map over a lan. I think I was running 98 on one machine and ME on the other. We were networked through a linksys router.

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

11. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

i actually got it to work once, though i had to make an account using won.net or something like that. the only problem is, i couldn't link to the game my friend had made, it didn't even show up in the server list. then when i tried to host, he couldn't join mine. my guess is that the multi player doesn't connect online at all, it only opens a single player Vormantown (again, only guessing, but im probably right)

12. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Re: does it work on lan?

Arcanum multiplayer is far beyond what one might call 'not working'. Even if you get it to start, it won't actually allow you to play Arcanum. It's that bad.

Did that make you happy ?

13. dstanzler

dstanzler New Member

14. wayne-scales

HL1ownsHL2: Yes, it just opens a single player game. But somehow with Hamachi, I got both computers to recognse the game I made over the internet. Perhaps it could be something to do with the fact that both computers were using the same internet connection, but I don't know.

dstanzler: Not to doubt or second guess you, but that sounds a bit far-fetched. The entire Arcanum map? How did you get from one town to another? Walk manually?

15. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

16. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

lol when i first got the game i didn't know there was that way-point thing...i didn't find out until i got to tarant :/ but to be honest it made the game seem so huge, for example when i (finally) reached arbalah's house i was so excited after one day of traveling to finally reach him and encounter him, and what was really fun was when i got to simon farkhus's shack it was night so i killed him in his sleep...it all seemed so epic and rpg-ish, and arcanum seemed so huge and awesome...sometimes i play without waypoints to get the feeling again. this game is godly. /rant over

edit: also anyone know how to rename item names?

17. silver

silver New Member

lol!! when u walk away from shrouded hills, virgil suggest that u go to ur world map (dialogue can open it up for u).. i presume u didnt read that? lol

18. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

i went to the world map, but i didn't notice the way-point button :p

19. Hercules Treeweaver

Hercules Treeweaver New Member

So... Arcanum multiplayer only works over LAN servers? That's fine. I'm sure my internet here would block an online server (I'm at college).

A big problem is my friends play WoW all day and don't want to try multiplayer Arcanum. I got one friend to, but he just immediately attacked me, so I had to kill him.

....And then a random level 45 NPC killed me.

20. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I got Arcanum multiplayer to work! Me and bigfoot played it all day long, but then the abominable snowman came in with Puff the magic dragon talked me into visiting Scotland, where Nessie convinced me that I was in fact wrong.

/sarcasm

Stop talking about Arcanum multiplayer. You're either lying or, if by some miracle you've made it work, it was done using a strange patch combination with a limited hardware setup, or it wasn't fun at all.

Our Host!