Arcanum type game being made!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techyguy, Jan 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. techyguy

techyguy New Member

I have been following this game's news for years. It is based on the world going through Armageddon and then reverting into simpler times.

Here is how they explain it ---

""The Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player 3D role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.""

One developer said that the game was basically done and playable, but they are taking there time in making sure it is going to be perfect.

This game is DEFIANTLY coming out!!!

If you have been waiting and waiting for a Fallout, Arcanum type game like I have, then go to their website.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm

I can't wait! It should be $25 for the download, or $50 for a boxed copy shipped with a manual and art.

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Having viewed a few of the screenshots, I think I can safely say that this game will be nothing like Arcanum/Fallout.

But thanks for bringing this game of obviously shitty quality to our attention.

3. techyguy

techyguy New Member

The reason some of the screen shots are crappy is because they are from a long time ago. (It is hard to find the newest screens because they mostly update through the forums.) The game is playable, but they are not releasing it until there is nothing else to improve. It's going to be done when it's done.

Calling it "obviously shitty quality" is a little harsh of a game that is still being developed. Wait for the free Demo.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Just like Duke Nukem Forever, eh?

5. Romitch

Romitch New Member

I've read up on the game and it looks to be in the spirit of Fallout and Arcanum when it comes to things like core gameplay and choices & consequences. The interface bears a resemblance to Fallout (watch the combat vids too).

Ultimately, we'll have to see when it comes out of course, but if you read up on the devs and their thoughts on game design, they at least seem to have their heads in the right place. It's obviously not a graphics powerhouse, but it will more than get the job done (can't imagine they have much resources as an indie team).

We can have our neat graphics in all the mainstream AAA titles - but what will really be nice is to get a game developed by people who want to see more Fallout, Arcanum, etc.-type gameplay in their RPGs. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Yeah, see that's a real nice sales pitch and all, but I'm just not convinced. So GTFO. Don't join a forum just to advertise a shitty game.

7. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

It has a TES-style skill system with Diablo 2-Esque (maybe more like D1, give the quality:)) graphics. I might play it. Probably I'll forget about it before I go to bed. :nods:

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Any game that is going to 'Defiantly' come out (of the closet I presume) isn't going to be well liked here; Defiance just gets us angry.

9. Romitch

Romitch New Member

:-o

10. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I suggest you hold your fucking guns you ignorant fucktards. Age of Decadence is being made by Vault Dweller from the Codex. It definitely deserves a chance. I mean, it's not like the market has been flooded with quality RPG's in recent years is it?

Le Forums

I think it will be smashing.

11. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Er, I'm a bit confused.

This game reminds me nothing of Fallout or Arcanum. To compare a 3D game, that looks strikingly more like Neverwinter Nights than Fallout, with a Roman Empire setting just because it's turn-based and uses dialogue trees is not convincing at all.

The setting is...interesting. When I think of post-apocalyptic worlds, I think of modern worlds wrecked by some sort of cataclysm, with traces of ruined technology scattered about. I see no trace of that in any of the screen shots. Why create a "post-apolcalyptic" setting of a medieval fantasy civilization only to pave over it with another medieval fantasy setting? Makes no sense.

Maybe I'd be more openminded if it didn't look like another cliche Roman Empire themed game. I'm really sick of this theme by now.

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, I believe that the idea is that the world once was modern all with advanced technology and shit, and then some badass catastrophy or another happened and the struggling new civilization is now pretty much back at the middle ages. Not a bad concept I think, I mean, I don't really think people would remember much computer programming if they have had to survive in a wasteland for a few generations, it would be all back to basics again.

13. GrimmHatter

And here I thought it was a medieval civilization that was ruined and being reestablished by another type of medieval civilization. What lead my to this was the attempt of the website to drive the point home that it was indeed a post-apocalyptic game, yet in no screen shots I looked at did I see any trace of the advanced civilization that once supposedly prospered. Then again, I wasn't about to dig through 50 pages of forum topics to find any evidence to the contrary.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    I occasionally hang out at the Codex and that's where I heard it. :)

Anyway, there should be more indie games. Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome is goddamn badass, and Mount and Blade is getting fucking addictive now since .903 came out. Since I got to know about both of these from the Codex, I'm quite naturally having high hopes for Decadence. Third's the charm and all.

15. techyguy

techyguy New Member

I didn't mean to confuse you all, with the apocalyptic setting. I think, if I remember correctly, the game takes place in an alternate dimension. Rome never fell, or at least didn't fall until thousands of years later, therefor making each person lawless, and each city, it's own very small nation. Even in our world, we are still discovering techniques that the romans did better, than our current methods.

I'm not trying to advertise the game, but just keep non-linear RPG's alive. When I joined this forum a little while ago, I was amazed the Arcanum community was still alive. This is my favorite game right next to fallout.

I hope Iron Tower Studio does well on this so they can get a publisher, and start making AAA games. Rpg's need developers like this one to grow.

With the head director named "Vault Dweller", I hope he knows enough to make a game in the fallout/arcanum spirit.

Steam Punk still rocks better that a fantasy setting though.

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, VD is pretty much at the hub of the Codex hivemind and I'd be surprised if he didn't try his best at including as much Falloutesque elements as possible.

17. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

18. GrimmHatter

That makes much more sense in regards to the screenshots I was looking at, and is actually a pretty cool concept to boot.

19. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

DE, just want to thank you for introducing me to Mount & Blade.

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    No problem love, no problem at all.

Naturally, I joined the Kingdom of Nords. :D

I can't wait for the 1.0 version!

Our Host!