Car Arcanum and spells!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Zebulin, Aug 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Can someone help me figure out how to determine the changes that were made to spells and to spell casting in Car arcanum?

I made a sorc like the first one I used to play vanilla arcanum and even though the difficulty is the same (and I chose default difficulty settings in dialog choices) and even though this time my new sorc had zero encumbrance guarenteed by items and had considerable bonuses to fatigue my car arcanum character is far less effective in combat than the first sorc was at the same level. I literally am not seeing any damage *at all* against the kites from my harm spell so I've had to rely entirely on virgil and althea to kill anything at all.

At great lengths (because exp comes damn slow when you can never land any attacks on the enemy) I finally upgraded to fire flash and there is no question that even though fire flash (unlike harm) is damaging the kites it is *noticeably* weaker than I remember it being in vanilla arcanum.

I don't mind changes to balance magick and technology but I do mind not being able to doccument them and identify them so I can make intelligent skill point investment decisions. It seems clear that the spells have been altered but I can't see any way to identify exactly *how* they were altered.

Feedback from anybody who has or even just thinks they have some insight on the nature of the changes to the spells in caqr arcanum would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance!

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Harm spamming is a technique that CB really didn't like, so he massively reduced the effectiveness of the spell and Fireflash was depowered for the same reason. In order to be an effective mage in Car Arcanum you have to use a variety of spells in combat and not just rely on one. I would also suggest getting a little melee skill, because until you level up some more and have access to the higher spells, you can't survive with magic alone.

3. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Thanks!

whoah! that's definately something worth knowing. So harm spamming = bad but melee spamming equals good. Sounds like I might enjoy this mod better as a non mage build.

However, do you know if perhaps he only modified those two spells? What about the other damage dealing spells like the electrical line are they unmodified? I suppose one advanatage of going all electrical is that their will be fewer resistant critters than I had with fireflash. That might still be fun.

4. who_is_daniel

who_is_daniel New Member

Good question I would like to know the answer to that as well.

When you are in Shrouded Hills and inside the new house (the one above the “Secret Entrence to Panarii Cryptâ€￾ where you are automatically sent/summoned/moved to when you first enter Shrouded Hills) there are some stands with information and one of them says something about some other spell changes… but I did/do not really understand.

5. Maximus

Maximus New Member

6. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

doh.

check it out. :( it'sthe same low content page I found the mod on originally. Chris doesn't really provide many details about what if anything he did to the mage side of things apart from a few new options like 'schematics' for making a few magic items.

The mod appears to be by and large totally undoccumented.

7. Vorak

Well since he was doing it for free you either got the mod or an encyclopedia about a potential mod, but not both.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One down-side to going all electrical: Chris made the bears and a couple, three other critters electrically immune.

9. Vorak

What about that spell in the Earth College? I think its called Stone Throw.

10. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

of course! :thumbup:

that's not really the purpose of this thread anyway. the thread is an attempt to obtain the information by other means not an attempt to smear the hard working mod author for a lack of documentation.

11. cfg

cfg New Member

harm is doing fatigue damage not health damage.
    many monsters do not use fatigue

best power-play as a summoner with high beauty and the beauty to monster life switch activated

Our Host!