Random Encounters

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by MackaN, Dec 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. MackaN

MackaN New Member

I didnt see that kind of topic here. And my mod is going to end, so I need slowly to create random encounters on my own map. First, I dont know how it work, so if somone know how to put on the map random bounty hunters and for example how to bound RE with Global Flags and other stuff, please help! Did someone make Random Encounters, I really need knowlage about it. I am creating mod with completly different map than orginal arcanum, so I will need help with it, becasue I dont like safe travels on the world map :)

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

The file you'll need to study is WMap_Rnd.mes which is in the Arcanum.dat.

Edit: Here's the link for the section of the on-line version of the WorldEd manual explaining random encounters:
    http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/resources/worlded_manual.htm#_Toc529158780

I've barely done anything with this as I'm adding to Arcanum and the encounters have already been set but here's what I've learned.

At the top of the listing you'll see towns.

Frequency Chart
    {10001}{88128, 78848, 9600, 4%} // Shrouded Hills

Now, what I see is the first two numbers being the center point of the encounter area in world map coordinates (88128, 78848), then comes the radius of the circle in tiles (9600) and finally is the percentage of chance encounters (4%).
    Given that the coordinates for Shrouded Hills is 90226 x 84176, this sets up the range from just north and east of town.

On to the encounters themselves. There's a couple examples below.

As you can see below the tables themselves are fairly easy to understand once you read the Table description.
    To change the critter type, you'll need the description.mes for the .pro numbers.

Encounter Tables:

Table Description: Frequency %, Critter Count, Base Proto Num, MinLevel: <value>, MaxLevel: <value>, GlobalFlag: <value>, TriggerCount: <value>
    (Edit: the description above has the Critter Count and Base Proto Num listed backwards from the tables.)
    Note: Frequencies do *NOT* have to add up to 100%, it will roll based on how many it actually gets.

(Lush Grasslands
    Table 0 Grasslands Day Easy
    {50000}{80%, First: 28427, 1-4, MaxLevel: 10} // Lesser Boar
    {50001}{30%, First: 28428, 1, MaxLevel: 10} // Greater Boar

// Malochian Hand
    {50608}{50%, First: 17315, 1, MaxLevel: 5, GlobalFlag: 2626}// Malochian Hand
    {50609}{50%, First: 17315, 1, Second: 17316, 1-3, MinLevel: 6, MaxLevel: 20, GlobalFlag: 2626}// Malochian Hand easy

// Bate's Bounty Hunters
    {50614}{20%, First: 17310, 1, GlobalFlag: 2094} human

As with the Malochean Hand or Bounty Hunters, you can set a flag to toggle the encounter for a specific type on and off.

Here's where my understanding ends.
    How to assign the various tables to the various areas is something I have yet to learn.
    Sorry.

Can someone who does know this stuff jump in here and fill in the few dozen blanks?

3. a1021

a1021 New Member

the proplem with this in my experience is, that as soon as you change anything in this file, no random encounters happen at all anymore.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Then I got incredibly lucky when I reset the Malochean Hand and Kite encounters.

5. a1021

a1021 New Member

or perhaps you have a better understanding of random encounters than you think ;) i guess i will have to experiment some more with this...

6. MackaN

MackaN New Member

I still dont get it...

It means that I can only write, that next to some area will be 3% chance to meet randome encounter... but I cant write what it will be. Because in RandomEncounters table I have type of terran. So, if next to some city is grass I can meet there only encounters from grass... Yes?
    So if I have bad luck and I am in this 3%, the game check only encounters from grass? I cant define some monsters just to area... only to type of terran? Sad.

Our Host!