Character Size change?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Kairn, Dec 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kairn

Kairn New Member

Is there a way to reverse the effect of the Shrink spell? I mean can the effect of any spell or potion be changed so that it increases the size of the target?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If you're talking about normal ways (so no module modifications or that sort of things), from my game experiance I believe there's no such possibility.

3. Kairn

Kairn New Member

Well then, is there a way to edit the main Arcanum module to implement this? I really, really want to play as a giant sized half ogre :lol:

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That is something I do not know. Although I believe it is possible to make such a npc. I don't think Arcanum makers did expect players casting body of element spells on giant creatures such as the dread crystal spider or that giant-hot-lava-golem-thingy from Wheel Clan mines, but when you do it appears there are frames for giant elementals which don't appear in the game. They're strongly pixelised, which makes me think that in the games engine every frame can be decreased and increased in size if some kind of box is checked when editing a module. But that's just my guess, I didn't try it from the WorldEd side. Also, making such a npc and playing as such a character would also stand a difference. Npc's are placed in the module, while your own look depends on the race and gender and your character isn't placed anywhere, etc, so I don't know if there is a possibility to change it. Somehow I think if it would be possible there would by at least some mods offering playing as a f.e. lizard man. As I said, these are just guesses since I didn't play with WorldEd, but I somehow have a feeling that soon rroyo will tell you exactly how does it work from that side. :wink:

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

A bit psychic, eeh?

Actually, if there's a way to make an over-sized PC, I haven't heard of it - yet.

Someone will figure it out eventually.

In the creature edit functions is a box where you can set the size of the critter in terms of percentages. i.e.: 25%, 31%, 100%.

Anything more than 150% causes noticable pixelation as a rule.

6. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

There are some ways to do it, since the prototype files for npcs all have a size variable. I discovered this when I accidentally created a 500% larger than normal automation. I wouldn't recommend Godzilla size as it becomes invisible except when outside and REALLY messes with character rendering in areas like shops, dungeons, or any enclosed spaces. Further, as mentioned above, all images are basically raster sprites, you can enlarge but you'll end up with fist sized pixels.

[​IMG]

7. Kairn

Kairn New Member

Tekkus u r a godsend :-o

But the problem is....I have no idea how to edit pro files. Is there anyone patient enough to teach me how to do it?

I am pretty much a beginner but always eager to learn =)

8. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

its a hard coded section (not optional) at 0x0fc. Just change the 6400 ( a value of 100 ) to F401 ( a value of 500 ). This will change the size of ALL characters using that prototype to increase 500%. If you want just ONE character to get increased size, like the PC, you'll have to edit a PC type.

9. Kairn

Kairn New Member

Partial success!! I hexed one pro file and created a double sized king praetor :lol:

the problem remains.....I dont have a clue which pro file corresponds to which npc/monster.....any ideas?

btw Tekkus thx a lot for the help :peace:

10. Kairn

Kairn New Member

never mind I got it by trial and error......

now finally to play as a giant sized half ogre :lol:

thx tekkus rroyo and muro to take the time to help me :)

Our Host!