.ART question

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Tekkus McDwarf, Dec 12, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

What is the procedure for adding art to a *.dat and referencing it in game, is there an art.mes? I'm just going to use one of the headers from a human with a 2 handed gun and slap them on the automation attack animation file, rename it, and throw it in the same folder. I'll be using the same naming conventions used in the folders. Rroyyo, do you know about using this?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Adding a modified character: I'm afraid I've never gotten that far.

The closest thing I can recall to a general .art list is description.mes.

I do remember that when I was exploring the .art files of the critters, I was unable to locate a mes file for the various types of people - like you'll find with scenery or items. The closest I found to that was things like unique_npc and that was no help.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I've just been adding scenery.
    That I can assist someone with.

Edit: Just read your post in Automaton Gunner and it looks like I'm too little and too late to be of help.
    Congrats by the way!

3. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

Thanks rroyo! If you want, I can ship you everything I have and you can play with the scripting. It still dumps elephant guns all over though. I still don't know scripting well enough to keep it from doing that.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yeah, I'll have a go at it. Drop it in an email and I'll see what I can do.

BTW: Add the name Tekkus or Arcanum to the e-mail title or you'll be lost in the holiday spam-flood.

5. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

I uploaded and posted what I have in the Automation Gunner thread.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Got it! I'll start checking it out after work.

7. MackaN

MackaN New Member

rroyo, I treied to use your DaBoss.art but actually I dont know how to make this ART visible to WorldEdit without changeing existing ARTs in arcanum. Can you give me small toturial?

And one more thing? What program do you have to edit hex in pro-files?

And maybe somone know about some jar or lib to java or some classes to java what help read hexes in files? I was reading cearfully PRO MAKING TOTURIAL and I guess it is time to make simple GUI aplication to make a new pro to Arcanum.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I can answer the first part, but Tekkus needs to supply the rest as he's the pro-modder.

Since you're adding new scenery, step one would be to create a folder in your module named "art". Inside that folder create another one and name it "scenery".

Move the new artwork into the scenery folder.

In the Arcanum2.dat/art/scenery folder is file named scenery.mes. Copy it to your new scenery folder.

Open the scenery.mes with a text editor like Notepad and locate a section that best suits the type of scenery you wish to add. In your case, DaBoss seems best suited for Large Misc.

Scroll down the listings in the scenery.mes until you come to the end of the Large Misc. section. Take note of the way the .art files are listed and create a new entry for the .art file. For example: {17065}{DaBoss.ART}

Save and exit, then start WorldEd to check the result.

It's that easy.

This basic instruction works equally well with the other types of added art such as items (clothing, rings, footwear), interface (schematics), and even containers. You just have to retrieve the necessary .mes files for the type you're adding.

If you haven't done so already, you'd do well to unpack the Arcanum1 & 2 dats for easy access to these files.

9. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Thanks. Actually I am fully finished documentation of Zakon Śiwtu. So now only what i need to do, is just to finish implementation of all ideas I had in my mind about this mod. This project, called Zakon Świtu, is almost done after 2 years of hard and not hard work :). Even english version of this mod is already in progress, but you will have to forgive me the mistakes in it, becasuse I dont speak and writte in English as good as I understand this language :):)

10. MackaN

MackaN New Member

An other quastions. How big can be BMP to make art corret in BMP2ART program? Actually I created some scenery, but and program made an art, but game dont want to make this blue color invisible! I made as a first color in color table this blue color, pictures is (as should be) in 8 bits and index color mode. Evrything is fine, but with BLUE color... I dont whant to have it!

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

There's a nice cheat I use - I converted a piece of existing .art back into BMP, then used the blue to paint out the existing picture. This gave me a blank canvas that's easily adjustable in size and the blue always disappears.

On the size question - Here's some that's known to work:

12 X 15
    18 X 24
    22 X 51
    26 X 32
    30 X 30
    30 X 58
    30 X 99
    38 X 74
    46 X 50
    46 X 118
    49 X 32
    60 X 62
    60 X 63
    62 X 36
    62 X 54
    62 X 58
    62 X 60
    63 X 58
    63 X 61
    82 X 60
    86 X 39
    90 X 60
    90 X 64
    98 X 116
    118 X 193
    122 X 120
    126 X 146
    142 X 62
    146 X 126
    158 X 43
    158 X 167
    182 X 224
    185 X 114
    210 X 300
    218 X 189
    242 X 140
    294 X 118
    294 X 218 (Used for schematics)*
    350 X 180 (Largest known size)

*The schematic size is a bit smaller than original so you may see a black line below the picture when you bring your new one up.

12. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Thanks again! This list of resolutions is really helpfull.

And now for something completly different:
    I found on russian site program to edit prototypes. But this is in Delphi... ;( and not GUI. But if I will see algotythm of this program, maybe I will can convert it to Java (my feavorite platform :) ) and make a GUI :) But I'm still not sure how to use it.... so I dont know if it works :)

13. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

It doesn't edit anything. Its just useful to confirm changes and navigate somewhat.

14. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Thanks to your answers on my Problem, I have already graphic beta version of one of the most important location in my ORDER OF DAWN - ZAKON ŚWITU (now work name is DEAD GOD)...

Here you have work screen... Texture is not good (as will be in final version), but I am happy to see "water effect" on it :)

[​IMG]

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

That is ten kinds of cool! Nice work.

16. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Hey, it looks really good!
    It's great to hear, that Zakon Świtu, or as you said, Dead God (Martwy Bóg?) will actually come out, The last thing I heard about it was that the project was just dumped.
    You're not possible able to tell when may one expect the polish version to be released?

18. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Looks interesting, hope it won't be released only in polish. :D

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

As he said from the very beggining, there will be an english version comming soon after the polish one, just when all the dialogue lines and such things will be translated by the team, so fear not. ;)

20. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Our Host!