Virgil's Newspaper Dialogue (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Canis, Dec 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Canis

Canis New Member

Just wondering....

Has anyone ever gotten Virgil to react to the newspaper story about his brother? I know the dialogue exists (01883Virgil_newspaper_brother.dlg) but I've never had it occur in the game. If so, what is the trigger for the dialogue? (Clearly, merely having the newspaper isn't enough.) If not.... how would one go about inserting it into the game? (Nevermind, that's really more of a modding question....)

While I'm at it, where are the follower audio files stored? If I could just extract the files and listen to them at my leisure that would be most agreeable.

I'd be thrilled if I could get that dialogue. I'd be even more thrilled if there were a fix for the Evil-Virgil-Leaving-the-Party bug, but that's less of a priority since I only have one game which I played as evil for the express purpose of seeing just how much I could screw up Virgil's life.

I tend to ramble....

2. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Evil-Virgil-Leaving-the-Party bug? What is that? He leaves if I am 30% or so evil or less & stays at over 50%. Is that a bug? Or does Evil Vergil get caught in the trees? Or what?

3. Canis

Canis New Member

Ha! :lol:

It's the bug described here:

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5372

In my game, it starts when he first becomes Surly Virgil. You know, with the rude voice set. Right after we report back to the Dark Elves on our... rousing success in Stillwater. Anyway, if I ask Virgil to leave the group, he'll leave, but if I talk to him again he acts like he's still in the group (normal dialogue options) and there's no option to get him to rejoin. You can even look at his inventory but he acts like an uptight shopkeeper and refuses to sell you any of his items. It's kind of a bummer because I just wanted to lower his reaction to me so I could get the "is there anything I could do for you" dialogue so I could start him back on the merry road to alcoholism. :D

As long as Surly Virgil never leaves your party for any reason, he'll probably never have any problems.

4. Val

Val New Member

I have that newspaper article too. I read it and then tried to talk to virgil to no avail. It says that the police in Caladon are looking for virgil, so I was wondering if going to the Caladon police department will trigger anything. I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone else tried this?

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Hmm.... I wonder. How does one check for dialogue triggers? Like with WorldEd or some other device?

Anyway, I was playing with Arcanun this evening, you know, that nifty little program that lets you view and extract the contents of *.dat files. I was listening to all the NPC speech files, and was simply amazed by how many I've never heard before. Even with Virgil, whom I take along in every single damn game, there were just TONS of voice files I'd never heard before. There's the newspaper dialogue, the dialogue with Darian Maug, and too many others to mention.... Same for most other NPCs. Magnus has quite a few dialogues about his gauntlets and his book that I've never heard in the game.

It makes me wonder... did they really bother going through the hassle of recording all these dialogues and including them on the CD, only to cut them out of the actual game? Or has my general playing style kept me from hearing them?

Drives me nuts. I wish I knew more about editing the game, so I could either find the answers once and for all, or just go ahead and put the dialogues back in the game myself.

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

:-o Every time I have gone into the Caladon cop shop, all that happened is I had a talk about the Whitechurch murder & incompent help. Hmmmm incompent help....

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

A lot of good points. I know that there are proximity triggers that you can bypass, in the Iron clan for one. Do you ever ask your followers "can I ask you a question?" A lot comes up that way. But, I have never heard anything between Maug & Vergil....

Post that whole thing here please.

http://community.sierra.com/WebX?13@96. ... 0@.eea4074

I want to see the replies.

8. Canis

Canis New Member

Bah! I've never been able to register at that site. Well actually I did once, over a year ago when I first bought Arcanum and couldn't get it to run on my crappy Compaq (now enjoying a second incarnation as a doorstop), but bugger me if I can remember my login, and it won't let me re-register. I'll work on it again this weekend; too bloody tired tonight.

I frequently use the "ask you a question" option with my followers, but have never gotten anything beyond the usual "what we do now" and "what this place" options with Virgil. Well, except for when I've lowered his reaction to me, in which case he either asks for reassurances about my good character or enlists my aid towards becoming a raging alchoholic, depending on how I'm playing the game and how badly I've screwed up his life. :) Certainly nothing came up about the newspaper when I tried asking him about it.

Hey, for that matter he's never thanked me for resurrecting him. Except for that time in Caladon, which is another matter entirely. Ungrateful bastard. Again, the dialogues and voice files exist for it..... I must be doing something wrong.

Virgil's Maug dialogue is similar to the exchange he has with Pollock:

(Edited slightly for excessive brackets.)

9. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

In one game, I happened it have a PC who just gotten back to Tarant from Caladon for the first time. So, last night, straight to the hall of records & the newspaper. Read paper, query Vergil, no newspaper option. As you knew.

I like the offical site, a lot of thoughtful & fun people there, as well as some who were in the game before beta testing. Good answers about development questions.

10. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

FIXING LAWRENCE NEWPAPER VIRGIL SPEECH

I read this thread a few weeks ago and kept it in the back of my mind. Now that my current character has Virgil and is at that part of the story when I can get the newspaper of Lawrence's death, I worked on it last night.

It turns out the hall of records clerk keeps it on her person so you probably could pickpocket it anytime. Joachim's telegraph causes Virgil to interrupt you with speech, so the newspaper should do the same thing. It doesn't. I opened the World Editor: the telegraph has a script attached under USE which scans for Virgil and interrupts you after 10 seconds. The newspaper does NOT have a script attached at the USE point (dialog =9; use=1?). However the script exists, as does the script and dialog for Virgil. It's supposed to interrupt you after 20 seconds.

Last night I tried to modify the script of the clerk to loop search for the newspaper (Current Looped Object is 5250?) but it couldn't find it. I thought that the best solution for everyone (i.e. you people) would be to modify her script to attach the other script to the newspaper on the USE point. But if it can't find/identify it...?

I intend to go in the World Editor to poop her, click on it and attach the script that way. Then I'll give it back to her and save. Fortunately its not on the main world map, so it may or may not work for saved games. This should fix it for me, so I'm done. EDIT: Tried the fix via the editor and it works!

If anyone knows how to get the loop search / script fix to work, please post.

How many speech problems/fixes are we up to now?
    Virgil #1 - BugFixPatch for Crash Site
    Magnus @ Thorvald http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14216
    King Loghaire @ Bates (JUST FIXED!) http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14061
    Virgil #2 - Lawrence's newspaper (FIXED below!)
    Nasrudin - LateGameDialogFix. Get file then see http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14188
    Simeon Tor w/ Smythe and/or Geoffrey http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14046

11. grandaddy

grandaddy New Member

I may be being a idiot but where can i find the .dat extractor gizmo, I would like to hear these for my self.
    [EDIT] never mind I have found it

12. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Here's a possible fix for you people.

01078HallofRecordsClerk.dlg
    {138}{Lawrence Brummond.}{}{5}{gf2318 1, lf15 0}{-9}{lf15 1}

01078HallofRecordsClerk.scr
    9. call script 2018 at line 0 with triggerer triggerer[?] and attachee attachee[?]
    10. dialog [whatever was in place of -9 in dlg (above)]
    11. return and skip default

Line 9 will call the script that checks if Virgil is with you and have him speak up after 20 seconds. Line 10 is supposed to call the dialog line where she hands you his newspaper. So he should start talking if he's with you there, even if you don't read the newspaper, but not if you left him across town and read it later.

Our Host!