California burning to the ground

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Oct 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming. I've been to that portion of the state enough times to know that not only are there clouds of coal, there's also a Pittsburgh specific ground hog named "Artie the Black Lung."
    He spreads the joys of inhaling too much coal to the children.

As for children, we can't allow Viktor to succumb to sickness before he becomes the ruler of us all.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

good news: the fires are coming under control, and most evacuees have returned to their homes.

bad news: the smoke has made Viktor worse. and it's a weekend, so if he doesn't get better tomorrow it's an ER visit for us.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Those fires couldn't have come at a worse time eh? I hope it all sorts out for the little one and Fish's parents. At least now, there should be less smoke to worry about.

4. Madness

Madness New Member

The only reason its getting hotter is because we just passed the friggin' Ice Age, now its getting warmer. In a few thousand years its gonna get colder again. Global Warming is a myth.

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

So you deny that CO2 levels have any impact on how much energy is coming in from the sun and/or leaves the earth's atmosphere?

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

No. He denies Global Warming, i.e. the fact that the average temperature is increasing (though, of course, he acknowledges it in his first sentence).

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, I'm among those who think that global warming is happening. It seems pretty simple, really. After all, it's warmer when it's cloudy, because the clouds function like a lid, conserving much of the heat which had otherwise bounced straight out to space. I reckon that loads of Co2 in the atmosphere has the same effect.

I guess we're producing a lot more Co2 per capita now than we ever did before, and now there's also a whole lot more capitas. Heck, my grandparents used to work the land with horse, plough and scythe, now everyone has a car!

Of course, I doubt we'll ever arrive at something that's a 100% conclusive.

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The warm-up is increasing in speed, in relation to past ice ages. This means that the cool-down is going to happen sooner than it should as well. So, maybe within a few hundred years we'll see an ice age, if we're lucky. Actually, with all of the extra heat being spread about the globe, as the ice caps melt they'll put cooler water further south and screw up weather patterns. And, since salt water freezes at a much lower temperature than fresh water, that is probably what will spark the new chill.

9. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

I prefer that funky Earth Crust Displacement theory of how the Ice Age never ended, it just moved (viz. to the poles). At least that way, I can say I've lived during those interesting times.

10. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

The end of the world is pretty interesting, this is true.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Actually, if you read... what was it, Nature Magazine? The guys that did the initial research that lead to the whole "Global Warming" craze discovered that they miscalculated something somewhere [actually someone else did, and they triple-checked their work and found the error], and that Global warming doesn't create "holes" like they thought, but causes a mild thinning of it, and is doing 1/10th of 1% of the amount of damage they thought it was. The damage is also being done by Halons [miss-spelled, I know], not Freons [another miss-spelling!]. Have a nice day, and feel free to find a new controversy. =]

12. Dark Elf

Media:
    Hmm, but that's not so much about global warming as the thinning of the ozone layer now is it?

13. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Global warming is happening, whether it's man-made or not. Summers here in Norway are getting more and more ruined by rain, and winters are getting less and less snow.

Sure it may or may not be of natural climate changes, but it's real, it's very very real.

14. Dark Elf

Media:
    Heh, today was the first day this autumn I've seen any decent frost outside. Winters start later and end earlier, it seems.

Ten years ago, we'd have snow by now.

15. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Even down here we'd have had at least brief snowfall by now, though it would have turned to slush pretty soon and then not really settled until a few weeks later. But as I said over in the duel, snow is almost unknown down these parts in the last few years. Sad, really, but then the summers have been better than in old times...

16. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

well, whatever's happening, it needs to stop. we're quite warm enough here already.

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Update: The authorities have a boy (age and name withheld) in custody for starting the fire that burned 38,000 acres and 20-something homes while playing with matches.

18. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Well just for the record, the weather here in Hawaii is pretty much the same as ever.

19. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I personally like the idea of palm trees in Washington [not D.C, for those who're new]...

Our Host!