Machined Plate?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Maduk, Aug 3, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Maduk

Maduk New Member

I haven't played for a long while, so, can I get Machined Plate or Elite Plate Mail anywhere instead of making it?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I can tell you that neither is in merchants' or chests' inventory in the stock game.

3. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

There are at least two machined plates to be picked up in the game, dunno if any of them is fully funtional. As for the elite plate mail, I think there are none or at least none that i know of.

4. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You can get machined plate off of Albert if you do the Hydromancy quest in Tulla and off of the head of the gang in the firearms mastery quest.

5. Maduk

Maduk New Member

6. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Also a guy standing outside a house in Ashbury will ask you to retrieve his machined plate inside the house.

7. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

But that's just a Basic Machined Plate, so I don't think it's the same as the one you could build.

8. Maduk

Maduk New Member

Please refresh my memory. Did Machined Plate have unique sprites?

9. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Its different to normal plate but its not unoque to machined plate.

10. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I think a dwarf somewhere in Arcanum has basic machined plate, because when I loaded an old save game to test the "machined plate modification" one follower had it. Note: it (the strength bonus) doesn't work for "basic machined plate." I guess that's another freaking thing for me to play around with. I'd suggest peeking (pp) at shopkeepers first to see who might have it - perhaps the dwarf smith in Caladon?

PS: I know a number of characters have those funky machined blade gauntlets, but haven't made a list of those either.

PPS: One of the found machined plates mentioned earlier (in Ashbury!) was Basic (no bonus w/fix) one was regular (bonus w/fix).

11. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I was looking at the new files for machined plate and I have a question. The .mes file has the new feature at the end for the +3 ST, and the script calls it.

So how does the armor know to call script # 30,000-something? Is it the name? Other files nearby like Finger_ of_Mannox usually have 2 or 3 files ending in WIELD or UNWIELD or something. In that case if I copied the script and added the word "BASIC" in the file name would that cause it to work for the two found basic-machined-plate armors?

12. xoid

xoid New Member

The names themselves are purely for human convenience; they're never actually referenced by the game.

Basic Machined Platemail (Theodore's armour from Ashbury) doesn't have any scripts attached whatsoever. It'll never work without modifying the actual Arcanum module.

Machined Platemail that you make yourself has two scripts attached to it at wield on and off points, respectively. At the unweild point we have 28005Magic_Axe_Strength_WIELD_OFF.scr and at the weild point (24) we have 30303Tech_TechPlate_WIELD_ON.scr

Apart from the fact that the counters on the armour are empty (meaning: even if the script were correctly coded in the first place that putting the armour on won't affect anything whatsoever...) the script 28005 calls "script attached to Attachee at point 24 at line 5 with triggerer Triggerer". Since the code in 30303 for unwielding the item doesn't start 'til line 6... even if you hard code the numbers in 30303 to some effect, you'll still need to trim a line or else the game gets stuck in an infinite loop... taking the armour off would apply that effect until it was maxed out. This is because line 5 in 30303 is actually the looping part of when the script adds the effect in the first place. Lovely. In basic terms? Triokia screwed up, but it's fixable without adding an effect number like the Mad Texan did. The effect description mes can actually say anything it likes... even stuff completely contradictory to the actual stats of the items.

13. xoid

xoid New Member

Bah. I hate double posting, but I felt the need to clarify something. The machined platemail you find on Willenbecker or the Dwarven Smith in Caladon both have the scripts attached and would work if their code got fixed. Both armours are still considerably weaker than Machined Platemail you made yourself, however. Their DR values are considerably lower, and their slightly higher AC values don't really make up for it. On an interesting side-note... the electrical resistance of the found small machined platemail is 0; as opposed to the crafted resistance which is -10, and it lacks the +20 poison resistance of the manufactured stuff too.

The Machined Platemail on Albert is actually the proper stuff, seemingly without modification from the prototype.

Can't think of any other suits of Machined Platemail.

14. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I've read and re-read your post a couple times and I'm still not sure what you mean (you lost me at "hello"). Do you mean change the Axe Unwield script? Or cut a line on the notable 30303?

Now that I can use the World Ed to change things on the map to my satisfaction, I can modified Theodore's so the AC and DR aren't reversed, and attachthe scripts, but that won't work for saved games like the Mad Texan's fix. I'll go back and fix Willenbacker's and Dwarf Smithy's machined plate, since you mentioned them. I saw in the drop-down menu three types (besides basic):
    machined plate
    machined platemail
    machined platemail
    Maybe they all have different properties.

I just went around the map, and I can't for the life of me find a dwarf with small basic machined plate, even though I found it once in my saved game. Where is it?

15. xoid

xoid New Member

There are eight sets of Machined Platemail. 2 in "Plate" (Basic Machined Platemail, Small Basic Machined Platemail), 3 in "Tech Plate" (Machined Platemail, Small Machined Platemail and Large Machined Platemail), and 4 in "unassigned armor" (Machined Platemail, Small Machined Platemail, Guard Platemail, Small Guard Platemail). The two in "Plate" are the Basic sets, "Tech Plate" are manufactured in game. The other four aren't used, probably shouldn't be used either for that matter.

The Dwarven smith in Caladon wears a set of Small Machined Platemail. Not sure if this is the one you wanted.

Changing 28005 would then break another item. We're trying to fix problems, not create more. :p
    Er, yeah. Um... back on topic: you need to trim a line from 30303.

Original:
    Code:
    0. magic/tech adjust Counter 1 by item Attachee used by Triggerer: store in Counter 0
    1. Local 0 = Counter 0
    2. IF Local 0 == 0
          THEN return and RUN default
    3. give Triggerer the effect Counter 2 with cause 5
    4. Local 0 = Local 0 - 1
    5. goto line 2
    6. Local 0 = Counter 0
    7. IF Local 0 == 0
    8. remove from Triggerer the effect Counter 2
    9. Local 0 = Local 0 - 1
    10. goto line 7

Modified:
    Code:
    0. magic/tech adjust $var by item Attachee used by Triggerer: store in Counter 0
    1. Local 0 = Counter 0
    2. IF Local 0 == 0
        ELSE give Triggerer the effect $effect with cause 5
    3. Local 0 = Local 0 - 1
    4. goto line 2
    5. Local 0 = Counter 0
    6. IF Local 0 == 0
    7. remove from Triggerer the effect $effect
    8. Local 0 = Local 0 - 1
    9. goto line 6

Replace "$var" with the maximum number of times you want to add the effect. Replace "$effect" with an effect number. Effect #221 and 2-3 times seems balanced IMO. The Tech Complexity (not the difficulty of making the armour, the innate magic/tech complexity of it) of Machined Platemail is simply too low (30) for anything higher.

Our Host!