Pot and diabetes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Sep 15, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Hey guys. As you may or may not know, I have diabetes.
    I also smoke marijuana sometimes. Through these experiences, I've noticed that pot actually lowers my blood sugars! Thing is, it's more expensive than insulin.
    To be honest, it makes perfect sense;

Think of the munchies. Having a low blood sugar makes you hungry, so your first response is to eat something to give your body more energy. In a diabetic, it simply means I don't need to inject as much insulin over the course of the day. And, since I only smoke good stuff, this metabolic increase can last as long as 5 hours. Looking into this phenomenon further, I saw that medicinal marijuana was prescribed to diabetes patients in Canada for just this purpose. I don't know if it's still the case now, but it's still pretty interesting.
    Here's the catch: for it to all work, I must already have insulin in my body, otherwise my body won't metabolize anything but fat cells. While that may be good in the short term, burning fat stores over long periods of time can lead to kidney failure and heart problems, two things I'm already predisposed to as a diabetic.
    It's too bad that I can't just swear off insulin and smoke pot once a day. I prefer that to finding spots on my body with enough fat to inject insulin...

Anyway, I thought you guys should know that, just in case you're ever diagnosed with diabetes and you enjoy a little cannabis every once in a while. Just remember that a much fun as it is, enjoy it responsibly.

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Three words for you; Don't do drugs.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Says someone who is probably a drunkard, nicotine dependent and a zombie without coffee :p

4. wobbler

Didn't wuite get the hang of that, But I'm not drinking, smoking being a zombie or drinking coffee:)

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Just don't mix diabetes with alcohol (well, not a full bottle of vodka every two days, at least). Grandpa did that. He had to amputate both legs eventually due to gangrene.

6. Grossenschwamm

:lol:

Thanks for your concern, but I might smoke once every 3 weeks.
    Even that's a bit much, though, considering I'd fail a urine test if I needed to take one.

Alcohol is much more detrimental to the human body than is pot anyway.

7. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Thing is, cannabis is only slightly more dangerous than tobacco. And people smoke tobacco all the time, and well, most of them do just fine. Most of the people who smoke cannabis, smoke it, like Gross said, maybe once every three weeks. So most all of them do just fine.

Now here's the bomb, alcohol is way more dangerous than both of those. And a lot of people get drunk at least once a week, and most of them seem to do fine as well.

As for the heavier stuff like heroin, yeah, definitely don't do that, heroin takes over certain body functions so, if you at a later point decide to quit, that might actually kill you. If you haven't already died of an overdose at that point.

8. wobbler

Well, lets put it this way.
    When I say drugs, it allso includes Alcohol and tobacco:)

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Nowadays, I drink perhaps three times a year, and moderately when I do. I can't just see the point with drinking more than that. As for tobacco, I never use it these days... Guess age made me boring.

10. Xz

That wasn't the point, the point was people seem to be doing fine.

11. wobbler

Yea sure. I don't really care if other people smoke or drink or whatever, aslong as it dosn't effect me.

I mean, it's not neccesarily good, but that dosn't mean it's bad.

Except for the youth of today that drinks just to get drunk. And are being retards when they are sober, they aint improving when getting some alcohol in them.

12. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Weed is no substitute for insulin therapy. THC messes with the cannabinoid receptors in your brain, causing a pathway that leads to hunger that might be similar to the way your body makes you feel hungry when your glucose is low. They're not 100% sure yet, but there are a few drugs in different Phase trials in America through the FDA that work on these receptors. I think they're trying to market them as a weigh loss aid for diabetics......at any rate, you can't simply switch one for the other, but this is especially so if you have type I diabetes.

I assume you're on some sort of medication for your diabetes as well. You might not be though, I don't really know what type of DM you have.

13. Grossenschwamm

Of course I'm taking insulin for my diabetes. I actually noticed a trend when I "partook" (yes, I was coherent enough to remember to check my bloodsugar) that showed, without a doubt, that smoking had lowered my bloodsugar. But, as things go, I recently quit smoking cannabis (i.e. I smoked it last weekend, but that's the last time ever). It was kinda fun while I did it, but I want to get a good job, go to a good school ,all of that. A piss test could weigh heavily on my future, so I'm not even going to bother with those plants anymore. Despite this, it was pretty interesting to find out there was a minor health benefit to smoking.

14. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

That's so fucking disgusting that they're screening people.

I mean, fuck. They can't ask for your religion, even if you're a muslim fundamentalist suicide bomber, but they can sort you out if you smoke a different kind of cigarette ?!

Or if they search your house without a warrant. Oh wait, there IS a similar thing there on the other side of the Atlantic, it's called the PATRIOT ACT. Guess the next step will be mass surveillance.

15. Grossenschwamm

We've ALWAYS had that. The patriot act just gives it a name.

16. Xz

Actually it's called 'The Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001'.

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Some people go great lenghts to give their abbreviations a nationalistic streak. Anyway, God Bless Oceani... uhm... America!

18. Milo

Milo New Member

Ironically, if I do end up with diabetes, it'll probably be because of all the herb I smoke.

19. Grossenschwamm

You know what makes this especially ridiculous? Not one week after I quit, I keep getting free pot...quality stuff, too! I'm just gonna give it to my friends who smoke (it's a bad idea to give pot to people who don't smoke it... :( )

20. Dark Elf

Media:
    Why would anyone give away free pot for any other reason than turning the receiver into a junkie? You'll never find a better sales contract.

Our Host!