about to play Arcanum for 1st time...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by TwinkieGorilla, Sep 6, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla New Member

so i've been a HUGE fallout fan since it came out, and have played all but B.O.S. many, many times in the years since.

now i've just gotten Arcanum, and i'm really stoked to start playing it...and was just wondering if there's anything i should have knowledge of before i begin?

sorry if this is a redundant post for some, just really excited here.

2. Klaz

Klaz New Member

First, absolutely make sure you have the patch 1074. After that's done, you could use the mods that balance the game a bit, like Krupp's fixes or the Dark Magics mod.

3. TwinkieGorilla

cool. i figured there'd be some sort of patch, thanks for specifying.

and speaking of specifying...could you elaborate on what you mean by "balancing the game" without giving any spoilers?

just so i have an idea of what to expect with and without. anyway, i totally appreciate it. can't wait to start!

4. Klaz

Klaz New Member

In the unmodded game, magic is much more powerful than technology, so there are some mods to add balance.

5. TwinkieGorilla

6. mathboy

mathboy New Member

Don't get them during your first play through though.

Re-balancing is something you might want to do after you've finished the game at least a couple of times.

Like Klaz said, magic is more powerful, so if you want to make it a bit easier you could play as a mage. Being neutral is the hardest way to go.

7. TwinkieGorilla

ahhh, good to know. i was wondering about this.

ok. well, i guess the rest i'll find out very soon. can't wait to get off work, and go home.

what am i saying? i'm meeting a girl for drinks after work! hahaha! damn you Tim Cain for screwing with my priorities!!! :lol:

8. TwinkieGorilla

after installing the game two different ways, attempting to switch compatibility mode to windows xp and 2000, i can't get this game to run on Vista???

i don't really know what else to do?

9. TwinkieGorilla

yes!! YES YES YES!!! i just got it to work with a nocd exe patch!!!

10. TwinkieGorilla

actually. does anyone know if the 1.0.7.4 nocd exe patch contains the same patches/fixes as the other 1.0.7.4 patch? and if not, is there a way to use both patches?

when i tried to run the other 1074 patch AFTER the 1074nocd patch, it erased the nocd patch...leaving me with a bunch of uninstalling and reinstalling to do.

11. Klaz

Klaz New Member

If the No CD patch says it includes the 1074 patch, it should run fine.

12. TwinkieGorilla

well, it doesn't say it includes it. it's just labeled, literally "1.0.7.4 no cd exe fix"

i would assume the 1074 would include what you speak of, but you never know?

13. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

I dougt the patch is with the no-cd exe. I would use the official patch first then install the no-cd exe.

14. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

With NOCDs, they rarely include the patch. The patch number indicates which version of the game it will work with, since patches break NoCDs in most cases.

15. vesselle

vesselle New Member

you should be able to tell by the size of each patch, also. :)

16. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

That's how I did it. And then I had to delete my free anitvirus program (AVG) because it insisted that the nocd exe was a virus which had to be quarantined. I guess AVG didn't know not to mess with Arcanum. :x

17. TwinkieGorilla

well, i got it all to work....god, what an AMAZING game!!!!

tim cain=genius.

i think i've logged about 24 hours of gameplay in the past three days!!! my characters at level 22 already. :lol:

18. TwinkieGorilla

ok. just realized/found out that there's a level limit. at 50. i was going to prepare my character with so much more before i entered the void...but now, it's almost as if i've taken a 180 turn from loving the game to not giving a shit.

a level limit? what a fucking joke.

and NO i can't use the mods because i've already got the nocd patch and the shit don't work. total drag. i'd like to open up the skulls of the original devs and punch their brains for this one. i almost don't even care about finishing the game now.

19. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 New Member

Why did you apply a nocd patch? If you stole the game, well, sux to be you. If not... Keep your save file and reinstall it.

As far as the level cap, you can just use the character editor and give them the skills/stats you wanted to give them.

20. TwinkieGorilla

the character ed doesn't seem to work after the ancient gods quest for some reason...and anyway...i like to avoid the editors...it's just more fun to actually gain the experience.

and i used the no cd patch because for some reason on my new laptop with vista the cd wasn't working.

Our Host!