I got the REAL stillwater giant! +trap upgrade

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by jfkoski, Sep 16, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Didn't catch the Stillwater Giant with the trap, though. I think it's like the Vendigroth device in that it only works for one character - the blue bunny in the cave. [Correction: If you try to use it on the real stillwater giant bunny the patch makes him transform and attack you (and on anything else nothing happens], not even a float line saying "This creature won't get in your cage!" Previously I tried sneaking up on it by prowling but it kept sensing me, so I thought that was the problem before I examined the script code.

What I first did was try to control beast, but that caused a glitch. Your followers list shows a beast but you don't have one because the bunny was destroyed when it transforms to the real stillwater giant.

So next attempt I gave it a kick (or something) which caused it to transform. I then used mind control spell (dominate will?) to make it my follower. I found it in the wild not too far from Stillwater so if I had lots of fatigue potions I could have walked it there the hard way (screen by screen).

Instead I used the reflection feature I read about to make it my permanent follower. I think this is it:
    dominate will, relfection, cancel dominate will, cancel reflection
    I took it to Stillwater and Tarant travelling by map. None of the three relevant characters (Myrth, Dr. Hippington and the guy at the zoological society) showed any interest. Instead I took screen shots of him posing next to his big statue and elsewhere. Obviously the developers didn't think anyone would get this beast back to Stillwater alive. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll write dialog options for all three characters and maybe even have a newspaper headline/story too! "Excuse me, do you think he'd mind if I felt his head?"

He's actually pretty awesome in combat. It was hilarious when I clicked on attack and the green float appeared "Stillwater Giant - Attack". He chopped up the orc next to the university in one swipe! He doesn't wear armor or carry weapons (I didn't test shields), but he wears necklaces, rings, gloves, boots and helmets (no pic change). If you want him to wear or carry stuff though, you have to use pickpocket to plant them on him. He doesn't mind if you fail while dominated.

BTW: My theory on the painted blue bunny is that Smyrk (I mean Myrth) did it and gave Hippington the scent bottle and "charmed" the cage for a laugh. He bought it 'cause he was gullible. He seems sincere in his fears of the giant and his desire for the zoological society to validate his work when he has you take it there.

PS: I carried that cage with the blue bunny with me all over Arcanum and the Void looking for something to do with it! I think I'll write an option for the bunny farm in Caladon to buy it off you.
    "No problem, that blue paint should come right off!"
    If my code lets it loose in the yard will the werewolf eat it? I don't think so since it doesn't have a normal bunny ID.

PPS: I think there's a problem with the code for the furrier and his daughter. If you solve his problem by killing the werewolf it botches his "find out what's going on" quest rather than the "cure my daughter" quest. Clearly, the dialog options show that you did complete his quest, even if he's horrified of the result.

2. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 New Member

You took pics.

You did not post pics.

I cannot reconcile these two facts. Therefor, I must agree with the only verifiable emperical fact - that you did not post pics - and assume the other 'fact' is in fact falsehood, hypothesis, or otherwise less-than-solid.

Or,

Pics or it didn't happen!

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I have to agree with ShadowDragon. I want the pics...either that, or I'll try it myself.

4. Oracle

Oracle Member

I perminized him in my game as well. so its possible and yes he is pretty strong.

5. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

I always assumed that having the real Stillwater giant appear only after the quest resolution was a cruel joke on the player. I'm pretty sure that my first character didn't kill kill the real giant though. But there's no telling what my current character might do.

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

When I first came across it, I assumed that there were just a bunch of blue bunnies running through the wilderness. I didn't assume for a second that the Stillwater Giant existed. Angered at all the time I'd wasted delivering the bloody thing everywhere, I gave it a kick.

So it turned into a massive, hairy monster.

Luckily, I was level 30 and had been focusing on Strength, and thusly killed it with my bare hands.

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Then I will do it myself!

8. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

9. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 New Member

Easiest way I know of is to go to www.photobucket.com and upload the pic.

Then copy the URL of the jpg file from photobucket, and put it here, inside
    Code:
    [img]
    tags.

Or just paste the URL straight-up, and we can click on it.

10. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

I guess I was hoping to upload an avatar I created from Alexander as well, but it looks like I can't do that either.

11. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Giant Trap & Vendigroth device fix

I know how to make scripts, which will "create critter: [stillwater giant]" so photographic evidence of the giant in other settings would be no more reliable than if I posted Bigfoot pics.

OK, I've been working on Mr. Witt to get his "non-zoologist" opinion of the blue bunny in the trap. If I get something good, I'll post it.

I posted somewhere that I thought if you tried to use the Vendigroth device on someone else, a message would appear. The script DOES have a call-dialog line. It turns out I was mistaken. So I created a one-line dialog file (You can put in your own text) and it works:

02862VOID-VendideviceMoviePlay.dlg saved in Arcanum/data/dlg
    {1}{[The device doesn't activate.]}{[The device doesn't activate.]}{}{}{}{}

It would be cool if you could "accidentally" use the device on Arronax, but the movie clearly shows Kerghan as skeleton-beast and not some guy in robes (which was what he looked like in the end).

So, my next step was to make a message appear if you try to use the empty trap on anything other than the real stillwater giant or the blue bunny. You need to modify the script as well as create a dialog file:

Create a file: 01198GiantTrapUse.dlg
    {1}{[That won't go in your trap.]}{[That won't go in your trap.]}{}{}{}{}

01198GiantTrapUse.scr [NOTE: do not use the file from scr.zip]
    I've included the full code in case you haven't opened Arcanum4.dat to get the patched version:
    0. If Extra Object is named 6724
    THEN combat: Extra Object attacks Player
    ELSE goto line 2
    1. return and SKIP default
    2. If Extra Object is dead
    THEN return and SKIP default
    3. If Extra Object is named 6556
    THEN toggle Extra Object state on/off
    ELSE goto line 6
    4. transform Attachee into basic prototype 15068
    5. return and SKIP default
    6. float line 1 above Extra Object
    7. return and SKIP default

What I wanted to do was to be able to capture any colored rabbit. However, because they use .art files, I can't easily open the cage-full picture, switch color, and save it.

My next goal was to release the trapped blue bunny. I'd been working on the scripts to find a way to release it, but I've reached a block. I sort of understand how it goes into the trap (see above), but can't get the result I want: empty trap and blue bunny hopping around the Witt's yard.

I guess that's for photo's only, not a .zip or .dat file. Did you here about the photo site that in their small print said they could use your photos for advertising? Yeah they took this posted pic of a girl on her cell phone and used it in an advertisment "From one virgin to another" or something like that.

Our Host!