Of grenades and followers

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by GuyeNoir, Sep 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

Hello all. I'm new here. Can't believe people still post on a forum about a 6 year old game.

I've done a search, but I don't think anyone else has this "problem". Basically, when I throw a grenade or cast a wide area spell into a mixed group of both friends and foes, only the enemies take damage, my followers don't. It works with just about all area effects: all grenades, Fireflash, that raining ice spell I can't remember the name of, even dynamite and plastique.

As you can imagine, this makes grenades the perfect weapon for tech characters. One thing I like to do with magick characters is cast Shield of Protection on myself and run into the middle of a group of enemies. When they surround me, I just take them all out with 1 or 2 Fireflashes.

It can't possibly be this way by design. I mean, it's bad enough grenades don't cost any AP to throw, now they're all "smart-bombs" to boot?

Yes, I am patched to v1074.

Oh, and what followers have interesting plot/side quests/conversations with each other/other characters? The obvious ones are Virgil, Magnus, Loghaire, and Raven. Are there any others?

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Welcome to the forum, GuyeNoir!

How come I never get that glitch? :/

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Nah, that's not a glitch. I think it depends on your difficulty level. Play on Easy and you can let off a Fireflash right in Virgil's face without him as much as blinking. On Normal and Hard however, it will hurt him.

4. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

No... I'm pretty sure I was playing on normal. I'll double check the difficulty and try again later today after work just to make sure.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

It does depend on the difficulty level. As we all know, Arcanum is buggy, even when it's patched.
    So, this means, on normal or hard difficulty, I'll have games where my grenades do nothing to my followers, and then I'll do something as simple as starting a new game on the same difficulty, and the grenades and dynamite or whatever else I use that explodes will tear everyone to pieces.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know for a fact that explosive items did not harm myself or my allies in Normal difficulty mode. It was so cheap I had to stop playing that character because it seemed too easy.

7. UberLord

UberLord New Member

First time i hear of anything hurting me or my royals. As long as i don't throw a spell or such DIRECTLY onto a friend, he can just be standing a square away and not even flinch. No matter how many times i play, i enjoy this smart-bomb thing. :p

8. Klaz

Klaz New Member

This problem has an easy solution: Play on hard.

9. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

Nope, played on hard last night; same effect. Yes, I double checked the difficulty.

10. Klaz

Klaz New Member

Are you patched? Try to start from the beggining on hard then...

11. UberLord

UberLord New Member

Klaz, i really do not see what the problem is. This is an extremely helpful bug, and if the gameplay get s to easy, just play on hard WITH the bug. :/

12. Klaz

Klaz New Member

I want coherency in my games, if I throw a grenade at Virgil's nose, I want him to blow up.

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Basically, all voiced characters have at least something interesting to say. Zan, Geoffrey and Torian are all characters who will react to other people and places. You need to be evil to bring them along though. If you're a goody two-shoes, take people like Gar, Franklin Payne and Perriman Smythe (not voiced, but I think he talks quite a lot).

The problem is that it eliminates many of the tactical aspects of combat. Proper positioning goes out the window when fireflashes can be spammed to whatever location strikes your fancy. Again, this is one of the strong points of ToEE, and turnbased combat in general really - it's the optimal way to handle things like this.

14. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

FTFY

15. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

I usually use dynamite but I suppose it's a matter of preference.

16. Quaid

Quaid Member

yes, explosives are hella borken. I played a gun toting tech master, and decided not to go past molotov cocktail because of this reason. even so, I would load up on 20+ molotovs and then slam them to the ground to push back my opponents if they got too chummy, just so I could pump a few rounds of hot lead into their wannabe gangsta aces.

(above edited to include flavorful lingo)

17. xoid

xoid New Member

Anyone thought about looking into their spell .mes to double check that friendly fire is turned on for those spells? This could just be a discrepancy between various localisations of Arcanum... or possibly the result of a particularly popular modification.

18. jfkoski

jfkoski New Member

Not including the names you mentioned...

SPEECH:
    Torian Kel: (Magnus doesn't like him), house in Kree, his family sword, Bane of Kree, Kerghan.
    Geoffrey Terreland-Ashe: (Perriman Smythe doesn't like him: req. fix), Ancient Temple, Simeon Tor (req. fix), Kerghan.
    Zan Alurin: (Raven doesn't like her), Loghaire, Arronax.
    Franklin Payne: talk about Teach, talk about old Panarii-guy, if you botch murder investigation, if you kill real Stillwater Giant.
    Perriman Smythe: Simeon Tor speaks to him (req. fix).

Bates meets Loghaire: broken beyond simple logical repair.
    Gar: nothing?

STORY:
    Vollinger.

ENDING:
    Bane of Kree.

Our Host!