Dwarven women

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Frigo, Jun 23, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Good gravedig, but you can't be a female Dwarf, Half-Ogre, or Gnome.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I believe Troikas intention was that both genders be available for all the races, but time constraints put a halt to it. Sierra sure worked that whip hard.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

You can't be a female halfling, either. Apparently, they only move when it's absolutely necessary.

4. Klaz

Klaz New Member

When making backgrounds, there's also a code to make backgrounds for female dwarves, halflings, and gnomes.

5. Grossenschwamm

Yeah, it's pretty simple. Thing is, there aren't any sprites for those genders.

6. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

There's at least one sprite/model for a halfling woman, but that's not enough for a PC who might want to wield various weapons and a shield. Or wear leather armour. For plate armours, chainmail and robes I think that all small races share the same model, so that wouldn't be a problem. Well, maybe the lack of boobs on the chainmail and the robes would be a problem. So halfling, gnome and dwarven women would have to all wear platemail whenever they want to use weapons. Make up an explanation for that! :p

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Dwarven women wouldn't be much of a problem since you could easily get away with having them use the same sprites as male dwarves (actually, I think there are sprites for dwarves with different hair colour, so in a custom mod you could have males use the standard dark hair and women be blond or somesuch). Not sure if there are weapon animations for those though.

Also, small races only look the same in plate armour, dwarves retain their beards and stocky builds when in robes or chainmail.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

There is sprites in the Unique NPC section for the Gnome females - who just happen to be the right size and shape to pass for Halfling women. In a stretch they could be made to pass for Dwarven women as well - no beard though.

Just change the description from Gnome to Halfling or Dwarf in the character editor and you can call that problem solved.

They won't wear armor, but they can use a dagger. (I haven't tried a short sword or bow yet.)

9. UberLord

UberLord New Member

jfkoski wrote:
    Actually he did. He said that dwarven women were often mistaken for their male counterparts because they too had beards, and i take this as a fact.

10. GuyeNoir

GuyeNoir New Member

"Which has given rise to the belief that there are no Dwarven women. And that Dwarves simply pop up out of holes in the ground!"

11. Grossenschwamm

Well that just ends up with there being no female dwarves mentioned in the books. Tolkien had said both of these things, allowing for either end of the argument to make sense, depending on how you looked at it.

However, since the last part was worded as, "rise to the belief," the first part might be more logical in terms of dwarven reproduction. Really, what's so hard to accept about bearded women, aside from the fact that they're ugly?

Also, three of the seven Fathers of the Dwarves awoke with their wives next to them. Dwarven wives. And, yes, they were bearded. However, since this was information that was amended by Tolkien, and not in the original books, I must still concede that female dwarves were not mentioned.

12. llama1996

llama1996 New Member

Dwarf Larvae!

The way I figure it, dwarves are kind of like bees or termites except with more than one 'queen', so they are still rare and valuable to a dwarven community (hence them not leaving often) but still there, and not entirely that weird.

However, I also believe dwarves lay eggs which grow into larvae, so I could be wrong.:D

13. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

14. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Re: Dwarf Larvae!

This is not Flickr, nor Facebook. Try to act decently, will ya?

15. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Well. It's time for shoving my Shovel of Gravedigging in where the sun does not shine again. Don't worry, it will only sting a bit. *Blade up and Vlad style*

16. Grossenschwamm

You're suggesting mammals that lay eggs and undergo a pupal stage simply because women are rare? Mammals predominantly develop in a womb, currently there are only two species of mammal that lay eggs, and of those two species both are fully formed after hatching. Granted, the dwarves of which we speak are fictional, but why would anyone believe that something that grows hair made of keratin has life stages similar to an insect? Besides, you're several years late to this conversation, have you actually read the discussion or are you posting to be an ass?

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

<object width="459" height="55"> <param name="movie" value="http://ecdn2.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1297555814"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/wjypbwttpn.json"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://ecdn2.hark.com/swfs/player.swf?1297555814" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="autoplay=false&dataPath=http://www.hark.com/clips/wjypbwttpn.json" width="459" height="55" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

18. Grossenschwamm

According to Tolkien, the dwarven women occupy 30% of the population. Also, most dwarf men did not desire wives. I'm merely speculating at their mammalian ancestry, simply because they have hair, and also in Arcanum it's said that dwarves are a naturally evolved race similar to man, so it's not much of a stretch to say they're mammals. The only thing I can see that might suggest otherwise is that there are no records of half dwarves. If there were cases of interbreeding between men and dwarves (or women and dwarves, more likely), that would surely delineate them as mammals.

19. Rex

Rex New Member

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    dwarves are gay, lol

Our Host!