The Tarantian Magic Shop: Your oyster ripe for the taking.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ShadowDragon8685, Aug 31, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 New Member

Now, I'm sure we all know a lot of shops have security vunerabilities, but the Tarantian magic shop/Darke Magick Shoppe are especially vunerable. Here is why:

They are one building, with interconnected doors. Here's how it works, assuming you're going to be able to pull off pickpockets and lockpickings when called upon. (If you don't have the skill to do it, you can simply reload until you pull it off, or blow Fate Points.)

Step 1: Go 'round to the Dark Magick Shoppe at night, get the key from the elf broad behind the "Candle". Go into the room behind her, make sure the door closes.

Use turn-based combat mode, eliminate the "Baleful Hound" using any silent means nessessary; I preferred a Shocking Sword Backstab Fest.

Pick the lock on the chest, help yourself. Lots of scrolls here, the real prize is the till! Yes, the shop's cash is kept IN THE INVENTORY BOX! The inventory is of course, nice. :)

Step 2: Go 'round to the front of the regular store, go into the room where the halfling guard and the magic smith are asleep. (It will be unlocked at night). DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UNLOCK THE CHEST.

Make sure your whole party is inside, and wait until morning. Don't worry, they won't notice you.

Hell, until I've had my first cuppa, I woulden't notice a band of heavily-armed warriors lurking about in my bedroom as being out of the ordinary myself. So say "Mornin'" to them as they shamble past, zombie-like in appearance, out to the main room.

Now, they've just locked you in their bedroom. They've also locked you in WITH THE INVENTORY.

Again, the till is the real prize, it's something like 3K+. And of course, all the magical goodies. (And pick up a nonmagical chakrum while you're there, just for fun.)

I got some VERY NICE stuff doing this, very nice even for a technologist. Dragon-skin armor dosen't need any of it's magical power to be a superior set of armor, and the Force Shield may not deal it's 1-10 electrical damage to attackers, but it's still damn hard to argue with DR 30.

Naturally of course, you can pass stuff out to your followers, too. Anyway, now you're locked in a bedroom.

There's two ways out. Pick the lock, or just wait until midnight. Either way, you're rich, and no matter what time of day or night it is, there will always be an outside door unlocked. If it's daytime, walk out the front, or the side (I haven't found the inventory for the side shoppe yet), if it's night, walk out the back.

Gotta love video game logic, eh? :)

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You can also unlock 2 of the 3 chests if you have Unlocking Cantrip and 100 Magick Aptitude. The trick is, that you need to scroll the screen until the shop owners aren't visible, THEN try the U.C.

3. ShadowDragon8685

There's three chests? I've found the one in the bedroom where the gnome and the magic smith sleep, and the one in the room by the bed with the Baleful Hound.

Where's the third? I thought that the side-shop was just a second way of accessing the magic smith's inventory.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

In the hallway leading to the dark magic shopkeeper's bedroom is another bed and chest.

5. ShadowDragon8685

You know, it makes me wonder... They're all holed up in one, big, interconnected building, all chummy-like...

I get the feeling that the "light" magic shop owner can't be all-too-unhappy with his Darke counterpart if he's willing to share premesis with him.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

7. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Or maybe it's because the magic community in Tarant (most technological city outside the wastes) is underrepresented, and therefore the magic users of the city have limited funding available ('xcept the Schuylers, but they like their privacy), so they tend to cope together in an effort to survive in the capitalist enviroment the city of Tarant creates?

8. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

They're elves, right? They might be gay.
    You know, a little bit of the "darker arts" to keep the ol' spark.

9. ShadowDragon8685

The dark shoppe owner is female, at least. So if there's gayness going on, hurrah! :)

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Sorry, Gross - and ShadowDragon: The White Magic clerk is male while the Dark Magic clerk is female.

So much for gay. Besides, they don't even sleep in the same room.

11. ShadowDragon8685

The white magic clerk does sleep in the same room with his halfling guard, though...

Where does the side-magic-shoppe clerk sleep, though?

12. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

No, it's the magickal smith that has the halfling guard and sleeps in the same room as said guard. Whom I always thought was female, due to the robe. But I guess any halfling/gnome/dwarf in a robe would look the same.

As for where the other magick shopkeeper sleeps, it was revealed earier in this thread:
    Which you replied to, and you also posted yourself that the magickal smith sleeps in the same room as the gnome guard. So... what are you smoking? :)

As for TimothyXL's very reasonable and likely explanation for why the darke magick woman is letting the other magick guy sleep in her hallway, I'd like to go back to a more 'interesting' speculation: The darke magick shopkeeper is hot as only evil women can be, and the guy wants some of that. :D

13. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

Or the Light Magick store guy has a place in his heart for the magical smith, who has a thing for short guys, and hopes that by living as close to him as possible, he'll be there if the gnome ever dumps the smith.

...Nah, it's probably either familial or economic.

14. Langolier

Langolier Member

Yes, he sleeps in the hallway like a dog or, or slave, or something. Personally, I always fancied that I had a technological character who had an affair with the Darke Magick lady. She's quite enchanting, you know? Exotic, wise, and... almost playful, at times. Dangerous and very powerful, yes, but... I've got a soft spot for her. Perhaps it's that hint of hatred towards me that I like so much. Anyone who could hate me that much, comes once in a lifetime. It's irrisistable.

15. ShadowDragon8685

I'm fairly sure you can piss off people to hate you more than she does.

Go talk to some Dark Elves as a tech dwarf with a minimum BE score sometime. I'd be surprised if they didn't attack you on sight. :)

16. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

What you could to, as well, is just to blast your way into the shop from the Darke magic side, and then take out the whole building without the guards noticing. The only thing you need to remember is to leave through the backdoor.

17. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

But taking out the whole building means that they'll be out of business. You'd be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Our Host!