What is most annoying in Arcanum?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by ShadowDragon8685, Aug 27, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 New Member

I'll gof first. The thing that most annoys me is...

NPCS PICKING UP THINGS THAT DROP FROM MY INVENTORY!

But even more annoying is Dog picking up things that drop from my inventory.

To explain, I'm a technologist. Rather than go straight to Tarant, I faffed around for awhile, did a lot of other towns, then I did some side-quests in Tarant (and conquered the Boil) before I start on P. Schyluer and Sons.

So, I get Magnus, and I'd like to have a look down in P. Schyler and Sons. Problem: Magnus is unarmed, save for his gauntlets. And unarmored.

So I give him a spare Chapeau, I retrieve my Feather-Weight Axe from Sogg, and I go to the general store to buy fuel. No fuel, so I make some.

So, I mix up a Pyrotechnic Axe, and - where did it go? Oh no, it's on the floor!

In a fit of insanity, I move off it, reasoning that one of my party members will get it, and if not, I can just buy it back from the shopkeep if he gets it, since I'm the Haggle Master and could probably buy his underoos if I had to.

So, everyone bum-rushes the damn thing. Everyone. You'd think I'd dropped a chest of gold on the floor.

I check my party's inventory: I dont' have it, obviously.
    Magnus dosen't have it.
    Virgil dosen't have it.
    Sogg dosen't have it.
    Jayna dosen't have it - crap. The shopkeep got it.

I check his sales inventory - not there. I check his equipment inventory - not there?! I use pickpocket, fixing to use a Fate point - not there?!

Then it hits me. Dog got the axe! I can't trade with him. I can't pickpocket him.

I. Am. Boned.

2. Klaz

Klaz New Member

What?... Dog never picked up stuff for me.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's the biggest non-crashing glitch I've ever seen...

But I have to say, the most annoying thing I've personally witnessed is when my character falls unconscious in battle. Thing is, he's a full technologist, and I only have Virgil and the Dog in my party. As I lay on the floor, I get critically hit and Virgil tries desperately to heal me...no go. He zonks out on the floor and is pummeled to death by a couple Burnowars. The dog was holding his own until he ran over an explosive trap on the way to another Burnowar...and he rests in pieces. So, I'm still on the floor, with negative 30 fatigue from getting hit so much, and about a quarter of my health. I decide to load a previous save, because regardless of the outcome of my battle, I have no options. Then I see that my last save is about 3 real hours behind where I died, so I get pissed and just scrap the whole game, seeing as I was just past the Isle of Despair anyway.

Your annoyance seems more impressive, though :lol: .

4. ShadowDragon8685

Oh indeed, my annoyance is a thing to be feared.

Not really for the loss of the axe, for the loss of the Dwarven Ore that went into it.

Sigh. :(

5. UberLord

UberLord New Member

Hey, me again.

The most irritating thing i have seen last time i played is the logo
    every time i load or stop at a location. I am certain it is a bug, which starts somewhere in Tarant sewers. The thing is, the bug stayed with me for the whole game, since i had no loading point before its launch. It just keeps repeating the same message every one. I also received it in Caladon sewers in my last game, but loaded and tried to avoid the spot. It is unbearable to exist with it!

Have anyone lived through this besides me? :???:

6. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

if all our annoyances are going to be centered around glitches, i might as well pull out the biggie: missing main characters. annoyance doesn't even cover what i feel when i get to gilbert bates' mansion only to discover that he doesn't exist in my world. i've never finished the game, partially because i have the attention span of a goldfish, and partially because every time i play SOMEONE IS FUCKING MISSING.

7. ShadowDragon8685

I bow to you. The annoyance I feel I cannot compare...

But, you do know that you don't actually need Gates, right? His diary is in the room above the room where he normally hangs out - his bedroom, in other words - and it says everything he tells you.

8. Klaz

Klaz New Member

:-? How do you trigger this bug?

9. Maduk

Maduk New Member

Thanks to my special repair-vision, I've never seen a glitch or bug in Arcanum. NEVER! Or I have a special version of Steamworks and Magick Obscura...

10. Klaz

Klaz New Member

True, I only had some minor crashes, not people dissapearing and dog suddenly starting to picking up stuff.

11. ShadowDragon8685

I, um... Would like to state for the record I am a bloody fool.

I checked the shopkeep's inventory. I checked his equipment. I checked his sales equipment.

I checked Sogg's inventory. I checked his equipment. I checked Vigril's inventory, I checked his equipment. I checked Magnus' inventory, I checked his equipment. I checked my inventory, I checked my equipment. I checked Jayna's inventory.

Yeah. She'd bloody equipped it! >_<

12. golemmaster

golemmaster New Member

I am playing Arcanum for the first time.

I was wondering all the time where to find that Dog party mmeber youre all talking about...until someone mentioned Ashburry.

Now I remember when I visited Ashburry there was a dead dog lying on the streets, and I was wondering why the hell it is lying there and why it is dead.
    Bug?

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Nope! When you first get to Ashbury, hurry towards the docks and you'll find the dog being kicked to death.

14. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

well, yeah, i don't NEED bates. but it would be nice to play the game and have him be there. three seperate installs i was missing magnus; actually the first three times i played. i didn't know he existed until i came here. also MIA: Raven, the captain who takes you to the isle of despair, Sogg, the head thief (i forget what city, it's a side quest of stealing something from the mayor), and one memorable occasion, virgil. apparantly, i own the Super-Ultra Glitchy Fantastic version of Arcanum.

15. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Why is it that I never encounter the bugs you lesser lifeforms get each and every passing day?

I've had the hateful "Do you really want to quit" bug though. What a bitch.

16. ShadowDragon8685

Once is coincidence. Twice is happenstance. Thrice is enemy action.

Nine times is a gorram corrupted disk.

[edit] Actually, wait. On those times when Magnus was missing, did you actually know about P. Schyler and Sons? As in, you'd gotten the clue from Ristezze, or his file cabinet? Or did you just wander around Tarant after shooting your way out of Shrouded Hills and find their shop?

He might be triggered by getting the "next stage of the quest" flag, and likewise with finding Gilbert Bates.

17. Gillsing

Gillsing New Member

The thing I find most annoying in Arcanum is NPC followers' habit of equipping or using things that I just want them to carry, but not use. They're also annoying me by walking where I want to walk. I should get rid of them, but I'm still curious about the things they might say at various locations and on various occasions.

18. ShadowDragon8685

Yeah, I hate it when they do that...

Me: "Here, hold this Dread Armor for me, Jayna Styles."

*two seconds later*

Me: "Okay, it's attractive, but you're not getting any of the power benefit because you're so tech. Give it back and, uhh, hold Sogg's armor."

It's a major PitA.

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

interestingly enough, the one time Fish played it, nothing was missing, and everything worked fine. unfortunately, the care of newborn kept me from playing until he after he had already uninstalled it, and i haven't tried it again since.

Our Host!