New player, points and apprenticeship question

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Marmaduke, Aug 18, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Marmaduke

Marmaduke New Member

Hi there,

Finally getting around to playing this much talked about game; my first attempt a couple years back was ridden with bugs due to video card.

I just had a quick question regarding training:
    I just got to Shady Hills and trained to apprenticeship in firearms. However, I notice that my progress bar reset; ie., the point(s) I had previously put int firearms were stripped. Although my rank is now apprentice, I am again at the base starting value for my race (dwarf) - I was wondering if these previously invested points were 'lost' upon training?

I know I must be missing something here...

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

That sounds like a bug, are you patched?

3. Marmaduke

Marmaduke New Member

Aye, I am - So, you're saying that the skill progress bar should remain in the same position?

...So, I loaded an older save game to double check my thoughts and, would you know it, it wasn't firearms I had put points into afterall :roll:

Well, thank you for the quick response, I had already been considering how to best minimize 'point losses' while leveling !

4. Langolier

Langolier Member

How high is your perception and how many character points have you put in firearms? If your perception is lowered beyond a certain point it will lower your firearms skill. Also sometimes if you have a natural bonus to a skill you will notice that it can disappear when are not near the required base stat level to increase that skill again. What I mean is that you can raise any skill at 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 (ST, DX, CN, CH, BE, PE, IN, WP). However if you have 9 Perception and two ranks of Firearms then your half-rank dwarven bonus might disappear unless you raise your perception to 10 or 11.

5. Marmaduke

Marmaduke New Member

Interesting. My perception is plenty high - 12 I believe. It was just a case of some confusion in what I had done ( I actually had risen melee/dodge and not firearms).

Somewhat unrelated, is there a comprehensive web site that goes through technical aspects of the game (w/ no spoilers preferably)? Things like the bonuses incurred from having 20 points in skills, etc. The manual is, imo, not laid out very well.

6. Maduk

Maduk New Member

You don't get anything for having 20 ranks. However, you can get master-training when you have certain rank, 18, I think. Apprentice, Expert and Master bonuses are in the holy book.

7. Xz

Actually going from 19 to 20 points in DX will give you a larger speed boost than 18 to 19 will.

8. Maduk

Maduk New Member

Wasn't he talking about skills, not stats? Or did he confuse the terms? Those can be found easily in the holy book, too.

9. Xz

Well, having 20 character points in a skill would be impossible. Unless you consider the internal workings of the game: 1 character point invested in a skill gives you 4 'skill points'.

Our Host!